Advice needed - crackling jack

What's Hot
AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
 Side mounted jack on one of my Pacificas has developed an intermittent loose connection (I’m guessing) crackle with a straight lead but not a right angled one. What’s going on there then? Can I spray WD40 in there? Would that actually achieve anything, or just do nothing? 
I bow to your knowledge in advance, people.
cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    edited November 2018 tFB Trader
    Assume the jack socket itself is tight and the hexagnol nut is tight

Generally dirt - I get some fine wet and dry - roll it into a small 'fag' and feed in/out and round/round - Clean its up and removes any tarnish/ozidization - make sure you get both the inside rim of the socket and the 'spring loaded' elongated part that holds the 'live contact' of the plug - Hope that makes sense 

Assume the jack plug feels snug/tight when in the socket 

Assume it is not the cable as well
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    edited November 2018

Is it  a long barrel type jack socket ? These often go wrong and being a barrel connector you can't get to the contacts to tighten them up. Cleaning by squirting contact cleaner on a jack plug and inserting in and out a few times  might help

Another trick is look on the inside and see how many contacts it has. Often standard 3 contact TRS type one's are fitted to passive guitars and only the sleeve and tip used  .... but if the guitar is passive and there is a TRS type fitted you can bridge the earth to the ring contact on the socket and that will cure it if the poor connection is earth side
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    gringopig said:
    Don't use WD40! That's  for expelling moisture. get some Servisol or better still De-Oxit.
    Not this again! If all you have to hand is WD40 no harm in trying that rather spending more ££ on another can of stuff.

WD40 is not just for expelling moisture. Amongst it's other myriad uses, it is also an excellent cleaner and protects against corrosion so very likely will well work - for a jack socket may well work better than both Servisol or De-Oxit - neither are miracle products.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    If it's the original jack, replace it with a Switchcraft - all other open-frame jacks are crap, sadly. You *could* try Servisol or WD-40, but frankly it's a waste of time unless it's a complete emergency for a gig, because it will just go again sooner rather than later...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3451
    Most crackling jacks I have had didn't respond well to cleaning, or even bending the connections to make them tighter, they only cost four quid so I just swap them out.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Thanks for all this, people.