Extension leads, multi-ways, chocolate boxes etc.... What do you use?

What's Hot
Extension leads. Presumably (almost) all of us use them, but what do you use, recommend, have experience of good and bad and is it worth spending decent wonga on them etc...phew?

How much thought do you give to the humble multiway extension lead?
How much do you spend?
Is it anti=surge protected and does it really make a difference?
Do you use an RCD or power conditioning etc?

Should I buy one of these for example...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extension-DoubleYI-Protector-Smartphones-Joules-black-Black/dp/B071DDWZMN/ref=ya_od_pd_dx_wl_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B071DDWZMN&pd_rd_r=1b0e3a0a-65b5-45fa-b8fd-65c67c50fcd1&pd_rd_w=1fXdM&pd_rd_wg=fDF9W&psc=1&refRID=HR7CBT06BGC3ANRKYW7M

Or stick with the cheap and cheerful white plastic 4 way 2 metre jobbie you can buy at the supermarket?

Thoughts please.........Go!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    Are we talking gigging equipment or general dometic use?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 431
    Roland said:
    Are we talking gigging equipment or general dometic use?
    Gigging equipment.
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited November 2018
    Long time ago I gigged with a transistor amp and used the longest, cheapest extension lead I could find. Since buying a valve amp (and after a forum recommendation from @Japaleno) I bought a surge protected one from Maplin - remember them?

Can't say if it works, but after spending a few years rehearsing in a grotty Acton studio, my amp and pedals never failed. Glad I did it, as some gigs you'd be puting everything into the socket where the fruit machine was. ;/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    We cherish safety and reliability. So no fancy power distribution. We use a couple of cables to get power from tested mains sockets to the playing area. Then we distribute power using supermarket 4 way mains distribution leads daisy chained to each playing position and lighting point. The desk and IEM transmitters have two 6 way boards because of the number of sockets needed. Power to PA and lights used to be on separate spurs. Now that we use LEDs it’s just part of the daisy chain.

We use 2m supermarket cables because they are cheap and easily replaceable. They are unswitched because switches are one more thing to go wrong. I don’t like the idea of people tripping over cables and plunging us into darkness and silence.

We don’t use power conditioners. UK mains doesn’t need it
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Roland said:
    We cherish safety and reliability. So no fancy power distribution. We use a couple of cables to get power from tested mains sockets to the playing area. Then we distribute power using supermarket 4 way mains distribution leads daisy chained to each playing position and lighting point. The desk and IEM transmitters have two 6 way boards because of the number of sockets needed. Power to PA and lights used to be on separate spurs. Now that we use LEDs it’s just part of the daisy chain.

We use 2m supermarket cables because they are cheap and easily replaceable. They are unswitched because switches are one more thing to go wrong. I don’t like the idea of people tripping over cables and plunging us into darkness and silence.

We don’t use power conditioners. UK mains doesn’t need it
    All of this.

Buy good quality, UK-certified standard extension cables from UK bricks-and-mortar shops and you shouldn't have a problem. 

Unswitched is better. If you need more than a single cable, it's better to use a 'tree branch' system than a one-after-the-other daisy chain, but either way you ideally want everything connected to one wall socket - which can be both sides of a double - because that eliminates the majority of mains hazards that are outside your control. The first one or two should be full 13A-rated ones, after that it becomes less important for most typical band setups.

RCDs are also unnecessary in most venues now because modern distribution boxes have them built-in. It's also worth remembering that an RCD does *not* protect you against a shock via, or to, the earth in your own system or from another one - which is the most common cause of onstage shocks, usually when the mics are connected to a multicore and a desk at the far end of the room, which can be on a different ring main.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357

I prefer 6 gang sockets as we use a lot of mains  ... if you daisy chain 4 ways then each becomes a 3 way so 6 gives you 5 .  Also black is better for stage use .... white cables look awful on proper stages

I generally buy these in either 2 or 5 metre

From CPC.co.uk for £11.88
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    edited November 2018
    Whatever you use always Test it  befor using preferably with a PAT tester but check simple things like  the terminal screws are tight correct fuse fitted and get a mains tester plug so you know it’s wired correctly. Brand new does not equal definitely safe and working properly.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627