Acoustic guitar for under £1000

What's Hot

My friend in work is going to buy his wife an acoustic guitar and his budget is £1000 maximum.  What would the experts here recommend?  I don't know anything about acoustics so I wasn't really able to guide him any. 

Maybe a female would be more comfortable with a smaller sized acoustic?

Must be brand new. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Obviously I'm going to suggest checking out APX. The higher end models are exceptional and the SRT pickup system is a wonderful thing. That said, don't discount the A Series. Or even L series. Both offer a smaller concert size which sound considerably bigger than the should. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• Obviously I'm going to suggest checking out APX. The higher end models are exceptional and the SRT pickup system is a wonderful thing. That said, don't discount the A Series. Or even L series. Both offer a smaller concert size which sound considerably bigger than the should. 

Thanks, Ross.  What about this one? 

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/160406296793008--yamaha-ll-ta-transacoustic-dreadnought-brown-sunburst

I'm not too sure about the lower priced APX models as purely acoustic guitars, they might work really through a PA though but I think Yamaha's LS models are better as 'acoustic' instruments, FWIW I really like the LS6M.  The new CSF's look great though. 

@bingefeller ;
    What kind of playing style does your friend have?  Is she a strummer or a fingerpicker?  Will she be playing standing up or sitting down?  Will she playing mainly acoustic or through a PA? 

IMO for under a grand there are a lot of excellent acoustic guitars but it's worth trying to find the one that fits the player's physique the best.  If you're looking for a smaller guitar then avoid a dreadnought like Yamaha LL TA linked above.  

Makers I believe are worth checking out include - Faith, Guild, Yamaha, Eastman to name a few.  

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Furch may be worth a look.  The higher end of their range is well over budget, but some of their guitars retail for under £1k new.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    I was going to suggest Larrivee. They are easily the nicest acoustics I've ever played. But a little over budget new and rare second hand...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I'm not too sure about the lower priced APX models as purely acoustic guitars, they might work really through a PA though but I think Yamaha's LS models are better as 'acoustic' instruments, FWIW I really like the LS6M.  The new CSF's look great though. 

@bingefeller ;
    What kind of playing style does your friend have?  Is she a strummer or a fingerpicker?  Will she be playing standing up or sitting down?  Will she playing mainly acoustic or through a PA? 

IMO for under a grand there are a lot of excellent acoustic guitars but it's worth trying to find the one that fits the player's physique the best.  If you're looking for a smaller guitar then avoid a dreadnought like Yamaha LL TA linked above.  

Makers I believe are worth checking out include - Faith, Guild, Yamaha, Eastman to name a few.  

Hi. She just strums and plays sitting down.  She doesn't have a PA or amp and will just be playing acoustically.  

• McToot said:
    I was going to suggest Larrivee. They are easily the nicest acoustics I've ever played. But a little over budget new and rare second hand...
    Second the above - purchased a used OM recently (check out my NGD thread). Exceptional guitars.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    He shouldn't buy her a guitar. He should take her to the shop and let her find the one she wants....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Recording king RNJ-25 
    deep body 00 size. Awesome sunburst. All solid spruce over maple. Sounds awesome 
    mansons have one left, think you could have a deal on it it’s been there for ages
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31576
    I have Gibson, Loar and Faith acoustics, my wife has just pinched the Faith Venus. 

It sounds very sweet, looks nice and has an electric-style neck. 
  • deanodeano Frets: 622

In my admittedly limited experience, I always find acoustics in guitar shops to have a high action and I suspect that online purchased guitars will be the same. So it might be worth setting the budget to £900 and keeping a hundred on one side to get it properly set-up to her specifications after the purchase.

Just a thought.
  • Thanks again. I like the idea of what @p90fool said about the Faith Venus having an electric style neck. @deano good point about the high action, I will mention that too!
  • I have a Faith too. It's marvellous. 

• It looks like he will be getting her a Faith guitar, although he is undecided on the model.  Thanks folks.

I'm sorry fella but the apx range has sounded like garbage for over 10 years now. 

The old ones were good but something went really wrong along the way
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.