New Pedal Day - Joyo Sweet Baby

thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
Wow, i like it. I'm not a tone expert so I'll put it in my simpleton terms. Its a very clear neat drive sound, nicely warm and rather pleasing. Sounds like my amp (Hot Rod Deluxe) but slightly overdriven, but nicer than the drive channel alone. The focus knob seemed like a more interesting version of a tone knob, on the lowest it seemed more boosting the bass, then as i turned it up the bass stayed the same while the mid and high seemed to increase. I liked it at 1oclock.
I'll report back when ive played more but first impressions are great!
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    It's a great sounding pedal. One of the few cheap pedals I've tried that stood tall with my others.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I've been eyeing one of these up for ages. 

At maximum setting how much drive is on tap? 

My main drive pedals are a Boss Super Overdrive clone and a Boss Heavy Metal. I was thinking of getting something that'd sit somewhere in the middle of those two on the drive spectrum, but is the Sweet Baby more in Super Overdrive territory? 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2347
    Sweet :D
    Skarloey said:
    I've been eyeing one of these up for ages. 

At maximum setting how much drive is on tap? 

My main drive pedals are a Boss Super Overdrive clone and a Boss Heavy Metal. I was thinking of getting something that'd sit somewhere in the middle of those two on the drive spectrum, but is the Sweet Baby more in Super Overdrive territory? 
    Very little :)) If my daphon sd1 clone is anything to go by, the sweet baby is way cleaner than an sd1. you'd want something like the joyo ultimate drive (ocd clone) or crunch distortion (crunchbox clone), I imagine.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice pedal, but it's a very low gain overdrive.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    :( That's what I feared. I've got the same Daphon as you Dave.

Might get one anyway they're so cheap.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    Yes it is very much a low gain, more like a warming up of the existing tone i think, but nicely reactive to how you play into it, and how you set the focus knob. Dave's suggestions above would be nearer what you're after i think, but why not get a sweet baby and an ultimate drive, then you'd have every stage of gain from low, to medium, to higher, to higher still...
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2347
    edited April 2014
    Skarloey said:
    :( That's what I feared. I've got the same Daphon as you Dave.

Might get one anyway they're so cheap.
    ah right, I didn't realie that :))

and yeah i mean it's not like the sd1 is that dear, just the bypass bleed concerns me. (I assume you're talking about the boss sd1)
  • PauloPaulo Frets: 65
    It depends, if you run a compressor or boost before if you get plenty of gain. It's a great sounding pedal. The focus knob seems to act as a high end cut/boost. On the mad professor pedal it's based on the focus is supposed to have something to do with pick dynamics and how easily the pedal will dirty up. (iirc). It has a very open sound compared to a TS and adds a natural and not fizzy high mid imo.
    http://soundcloud.com/pmohagan/sweet-baby-jams

This is my strat straight in. It has more drive than this if you boost the signal or use a humbucker pickup

• dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    edited April 2014
    @Paulo, the Sweet Baby seems to have more gain on tap than I was led to believe. From the reviews I have read, it seemed that it was a bit of a booster +, but your' tracks imply it can reach TS levels of dirt, albeit at the lower end of the gain range. Consider me impressed with the SB and your' tracks

:D 

dilbert
  • Ianb62Ianb62 Frets: 22
    Glad your enjoying it !
    I miss it already- there id dirt there- but its refined dirt I suppose
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    I am enjoying it, its great. Refine is a good word, its very neat and stylish i think. Whilst there is always a place for riotous crunchy gain its nice to have a more subtle sound and see where that takes me