Where do i connect new pickups too?

What's Hot
infernoukinfernouk Frets: 8
edited November 2018 in Making & Modding
Hey guys,

Im a bit stuck, i took my old pickups out my epi LP, and have gone to re-solder my new ones. 

However I cant remember where the original ones connected too to connect up the new ones! 

Here is an image of the wiring, im not sure which are tone and which are the volumes i need to connect the black and green wires too

Can anyone help with this? I tried some wiring diagrams but i dont know which pot is which! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited November 2018
    If the top two pots are the volume pots. 

The front two pots ,nearest the headstock are for the neck pickup.

Edit:  That is if someone hasn't had a go at this before and fkd the thing right up :D 
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    The ones on the left should be the volumes, the ones on the right should be the tones. You can tell which are tones by the capacitors (the green components).

The humbucker wiring depends on which wiring scheme the manufacturer follows.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If the top two pots are the volume pots. 

The front two pots ,nearest the headstock are for the neck pickup.

Edit:  That is if someone hasn't had a go at this before and fkd the thing right up :D 
    It was stock so it wont have changed

So the ones without the green tag bits are the volume and the green ones are tones?

Then the top left (with the yellow wire over it in the image) is the bridge, and the bottom left is the neck? 

And i just need to solder the blacks into the correct dials and their earths onto the top of the pot?
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    Does this help?

Trading feedback: Trading feedback
  • FatPete said:
    Does this help?

cheers confirms what i previously posted, ok thanks ill give this a try!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    In the pic - 

Top is neck volume
    Left is bridge volume
    Right is neck tone
    Bottom is bridge tone

On each pickup, the green (and bare - important) wires are soldered to the backs of the volume pots, and the black wires to the terminal of each volume pot where the wire to the tone control is also connected. (The '7 o'clock' position if you look at the pot with the terminals at the bottom.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    In the pic - 

Top is neck volume
    Left is bridge volume
    Right is neck tone
    Bottom is bridge tone

On each pickup, the green (and bare - important) wires are soldered to the backs of the volume pots, and the black wires to the terminal of each volume pot where the wire to the tone control is also connected. (The '7 o'clock' position if you look at the pot with the terminals at the bottom.)
    so its actually not the same as the image above? if i assume by 'top' you mean top left?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    infernouk said:

so its actually not the same as the image above? if i assume by 'top' you mean top left?
    If you look at your pic it should be obvious what I mean :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FatPete said:
    ah thanks mate, so ive attempted to wire the bridge in to the bridge volume but im getting no sound from the pickup when testing.

I paired the green and plain and grounded them to the top, then attached the black to the little circular connector on the pot, any ideas here?

The red and white need to be soldered together and taped up so they can't short to anything.
    What brand are the new pickups?
  • FatPete said:
    seymour duncans, so the red and white acutally need to be paired? i assumed they were just unused
    infernouk said:
    FatPete said:
    seymour duncans, so the red and white acutally need to be paired? i assumed they were just unused
    They link the 2 coils together, so it won't work if they're not joined.
    I can't tell from your pic where you've connected the black wire. It needs to be the most clockwise tag looking from the back - the one that isn't earthed to the back of the pot.
  • FatPete said:
    I can't tell from your pic where you've connected the black wire. It needs to be the most clockwise tag looking from the back - the one that isn't earthed to the back of the pot.
    The black i just connected to the tag that has a little circle hole in it that nothing else was connected to, at the top of that little brown pcb board you see in the pic in the shadow
    It needs to be the leftmost tag as in your last pic - it probably already has a wire attached going to the tone control. The middle tag is the output to the switch and the rightmost should be soldered to the pot casing.
  • FatPete said:
    It needs to be the leftmost tag as in your last pic - it probably already has a wire attached going to the tone control. The middle tag is the output to the switch and the rightmost should be soldered to the pot casing.
    ah perhaps thats the issue, i just tried this with the red and white linked and still nothing so perhaps im on the wrong tag...here is a better pic

edited November 2018
    Thanks, that's a more useful pic. the black needs to be on the same lug as the white. Make sure there's still a solder joint to the casing when you remove the black wire.
  • FatPete said:
    Thanks, that's a more useful pic. the black needs to be on the same lug as the white. Make sure there's still a solder joint to the casing when you remove the black wire.
    Sorted, makes some noise now, oddly my pickup selector is now upside down so my treble position is the bridge pickup...?