Where do i connect new pickups too?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    Treble position (down) should be the bridge pickup.
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    You've wired the pickups the wrong way, swap them to the other volume pots.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • infernoukinfernouk Frets: 8
    edited November 2018
    FatPete said:
    Treble position (down) should be the bridge pickup.
    hmm i think someone had messed with the wires in this before then, the pickups were wired to be the other way around which i thought was weird. Though i always thought rhythm was bridge because the rhythm guitarist generally play on bridge pickup?
  • Alegree said:
    urgh so much mixed information in the thread then! 
    Alegree said:
    ?
    infernouk said:

urgh so much mixed information in the thread then! 
    Not really, just one slightly confusing post from Chris and @Alegree has been on the sauce.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72302
    infernouk said:

hmm i think someone had messed with the wires in this before then, the pickups were wired to be the other way around which i thought was weird. Though i always thought rhythm was bridge because the rhythm guitarist generally play on bridge pickup?
    Ah... caught out by history :).

In the 1950s, the neck pickup was called the rhythm pickup because a thick, muted tone was used for rhythm. Lead was played using a clean trebly sound on the bridge pickup.

Add distortion and everything changes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    Swap the pickup black wires. Swap the pickup green wires.
    tFB Trader
    You have your neck pickup connected to your bridge pickup volume and your bridge pickup connected to your neck volume. You need to swap the pickup connections to both volume pots.
    He's getting the bridge pickup on the treble switch position which sounds normal to me. Hot on SD pickups is black (though you could swap black and green if you wanted).
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    edited November 2018
    infernouk said:

Any chance of another photograph of all this from a different angle, please?

I am specifically concerned about the thin wire with red plastic insulation that appears to run between the two volume controls. Where exactly are the two ends of this wire soldered? Why is it even in the circuit? Is what I can see actually two separate wires that both disappear through the guitar body towards the selector switch?

infernouk said:

In this photograph, you appear to have connected the black "hot" conductor from the pickup to the pot terminal that would conventionally be used for ground.

As things stand in your pic, the white wire sends the signal to the tone control. The red wire soldered to the middle pot terminal should send the signal to the selector switch. The third terminal has to be grounded or the pot might as well not be in circuit.

The black "hot" pickup conductor should be connected to the same terminal as the white wire.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    I think the red wire finds its way into the yellow sleeve, hopefully on the way to the selector switch. The other bit we've already covered.
    FatPete said:
    The other bit we've already covered.
    I shall believe that when I see a photograph of it.
  • hey guys i got both my pickups working, im just going to have it as rhythm = bridge as to me that makes more sense and im the one using it! cheers for the help, spent so long solding wires to random things hoping to get a sound
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72302
    The red wire is a core of the yellow cable to the switch and goes to the centre terminal of the bridge volume pot, which you can see in the last pic. There is a white one which is harder to see that goes to the centre terminal of the neck volume pot. All normal and correct.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Got it, FatPete and ICBM.
    tFB Trader
    And that's what comes of reading threads before I've put my contact lenses in...