NGD, Gibson J-35, now with crappy video!

What's Hot
p90foolp90fool Frets: 31555
edited November 2018 in Acoustics
As some of you know, I've been looking for a J-35 for a while and was close to grabbing a new one before they disappear from the lineup, then this turned up in Keith Dawson Music in Huddersfield.

It's a 2016, so it has the slightly improved preamp and a couple of other little changes over the 2013 spec, but best of all it's in near perfect nick with all the case candy and it's saved me £700 over new, but still with the reassurance of buying from a shop. 

It's already started to turn a little more amber than any new ones I've seen, and happily even the fire stripe pickguard is more subdued than most.

I've just spent a happy hour or two playing along with some Americana compilations, easily reproducing some classic recorded guitar tones. 

Everything is so easy with the "right" sound - if it's not happening it's either because you're not playing well or your strings are shagged.

Anyway, here it is;

http://i65.tinypic.com/jptxes.jpg
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Congrats. I tried one recently and liked it a lot, they have a pretty beefy neck compared to a J45, and they are what I would call quite toppy (not in a bad way). That ones looks a lot nicer than the new ones now it's had time to age a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    Very nice. I had one briefly a while ago - took it as a PX and thought I might like it, it sounded great but I couldn't get on with the neck. I'm still not hugely keen on the mother-of-hairbrush pickguard, but yours is less garish than mine was.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31555
    It's actually the neck which made me go for the 35 tbh, a hand injury a couple of years ago means I struggle with slimmer necks now.

Although markedly different within a common Gibson identity, the J-15, 35 and 45 all sound great to me, but the beefier neck swung it. 

I've had a great day with it, my fingertips are almost as sore as when I started playing! 
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 230
    Nice guitar - i have ICBMs old one and it sounds great. I love the neck and its the only acoustic i have got on with. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    sw67 said:
    Nice guitar - i have ICBMs old one and it sounds great. I love the neck and its the only acoustic i have got on with. 
    Glad it's gone to a good home! If I remember rightly I thought you would like it because you were looking for a larger neck. Pleased to be of service :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31555
    Just a crappy phone video, but I think it will record well when I get around to it. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lovely!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3897
    "Just a crappy phone video" he says.

Brilliant.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12335
    Lovely geetar and lovely playing chief 
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298