Help me Wrap my head Around this

Non adjustable Wraparound bridges. There is something about the stripped down unfussy approach that really appeals but before buying I am wanting to assuage a few nagging doubts

1. Are Gibson and Prs bridges interchange? Checking the ABM spec for their bridges, the dimensions differ but for my purposes the stud spacing is key. There appears to be a 1mm difference in the stud centre to stud centre. Is this difference accommodated for by the difference in stud and bridge interface diameters?
  2. I play a lot of open stretchy chords up an down the neck. Would the intonation comprise manifest itself more readily than with blues licks and rock chords? (No disrespect intended, I thoroughly enjoy gurning my way through a power chord) Classical guitarists seems content with the comprise though my talent barely merits the comparison 
  3. Are heavy strings accommodated for with the fixed compensation curve? Is the relative gauge pertinent here rather than absolute diameter?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    1. Not sure, I've never tried swapping them.

2. The PRS bridge is pretty accurate. Intonation is still adjustable with the two small grub screws at the back, just not individually per string. (*Don't* adjust it under string tension, or you'll chew up the posts.)

3. As long as they have a plain 3rd, yes. I've set them up with everything from 9s to 11s - including 9-46s - and it's surprising how close you can get it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14213
    edited November 2018 tFB Trader
    I've never tried to put a Gibson wrapover on a PRS or vice versa but 99% certain they won't interchange

You can buy various wrapovers - some have adjustable intonation that might help you - Some are fixed, either with raised 'saddle' or smooth like a tallpiece - But both are available with the G fixed for plain or wound 3rd - Wound 3rd is common on vintage models, but few now use a wd 3rd, so best to utilise a wrapover with plain 3rd intonation

Many who like drop tunings will use a wrapover with fully adjustable saddles

Have a look at something like the Graphtech Resomax bridge for something modern - Look at MojoAxe for more traditional

Playing an open string alongside a fretted arpeggio style notes further up the fingerboard will always test any intonation
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    edited November 2018
    I have a non adjustable PRS bridge guitar on which I put a Gibson style adjustable Wilkinson. It wouldn't adjust far enough to intonate. I think the post distance to the nut differs (not just because of the scale length) 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    I too like to use movable chords up the dusty end featuring open strings, but I don't own a wrapover bridge.
    There is the Earvana style nut option if the guitar otherwise sings but intonation is a compromise to far, please note I have no practical experience of the Earvana, I'm simply flagging an option. I do however find a lower action seems less susceptable to intonation problems up the neck but YMMV.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

PRS intonation is usually pretty good. They put the nut in a slightly different place to account for string tension.  They actually had a patent on it, but I think it has expired by now.  It's not as accurate as Earvana/Buzz Feiten etc but it does improve things over what you get on most guitars.

The PRS wrapover intonates very well with normal string gauges. You might struggle with 8s or 12s.  You might struggle with a wound G