Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss Waza Tube Amp Expander

What's Hot

Comments

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3983
    prlgmnr said:
    I guess in my mind Boss have always been down as "good solid products at far less than boutique prices", so was expecting no more than about 600 for this.
    They fixed that problem. Adding "Waza" to the name of a product apparently changes one word in that sentence.
    yeah that should have clued me in
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    The Waza pedals are a right ruse - it's almost an admission that their standard pedals sounds average and they can do better with some component changes, but hey we'll charge you 50%+ extra for the privilege.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6786
    edited January 2019
    The Andertons NAMM overview/demo makes it look great! The preset options for fx/volume/amp switching/speaker load look really useful.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • A convo with Thorpy, Rabea's video and Tom Quayle's dulcet tones got me gassing for this big time!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • FenderishFenderish Frets: 47
    edited April 2019
    p90fool said:
    I gigged a Katana for months, it was a nightmare trying to get it to sit in a mix consistently. 

there's usually an eq on these things
    more seriously, taking a modelling amp and assuming a load-box/attenuator + cab-sim will give the exact same result is a bit far-fetched :confounded: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Do we have any members here who work for Roland/BOSS? Have loads of questions about this thing!!
    • Do we know what microphone models this has?
    • Can it do two mic's at the same time? (I've recently bought a CAB M and have got used to this functionality!)
    • Can you turn off/disable cab sim and IR's and just run a Torpedo CAB M through the loop if the above is not an option?
    • What bitrate, bit depth and length IR's can it load?
    • Can the FX loop be placed before compressor and fx?
    As this is the be all/end all device, I have two hopes for future FW releases...
    • That the allow for running two cabinets - one left and one right
    • If you can't run two mic's on each cab, that they update it to do that
    So many questions and so little detail on the product page.

Do we have any members here who work for Roland/BOSS? Have loads of questions about this thing!!
    • Can it do two mic's at the same time? (I've recently bought a CAB M and have got used to this functionality!)
    • Can you turn off/disable cab sim and IR's and just run a Torpedo CAB M through the loop if the above is not an option?
    As this is the be all/end all device, I have two hopes for future FW releases...
    Have you watched the recent Rabea youtube video? He goes through the editor software in a bit of detail.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • I have, but will admit, I didn't hear much mentioned about the microphone models etc. Will have another look, almost positive he didn't list them.

• Looks like it's just one mic out of the following :-(

Microphone Types

MIC TYPE EXPLANATION
    DYN57 This simulates the sound of the SHURE SM57. General dynamic mic used for instruments and vocals. Optimal for use in miking guitar amps.
    DYN421 This simulates the sound of the SENNHEISER MD 421. Dynamic mic with extended low end.
    CND451 This simulates the sound of the AKG C451B. Small condenser mic for use with instruments.
    CND87 This simulates the sound of the NEUMANN U 87. Condenser mic with flat response.
    FLAT This simulates a mic with perfectly flat response. Produces a sonic image close to that of listening to the sound directly from the speakers (on site).

Do we have any members here who work for Roland/BOSS? Have loads of questions about this thing!!
    some of your questions find their answers just right here :

on thing is clear : it will never output stereo from the power section. Stereo is only available on line-out/headphones/usb
    I find it a bit disappointing too but it would imply a second power amp and added cost, size and heat management so...
    I haven't seen if the footswtich is part of the package or if it's optionnal. would be a bit stingy if it wasn't...
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 399
    edited April 2019
    It'll probably end up being a good deal when BOSS do their usual Waza price drop and it becomes available for less than half of the original price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    Fenderish said:
    I haven't seen if the footswtich is part of the package or if it's optionnal. would be a bit stingy if it wasn't...
    Looking at Brett Kingman's recent video about the item it looks like the same Boss GA-FC footswitch that's option on the Katana. I suspect it doesn't come with the expander, but what does is a sticker for the GA-FC to show what it does on that device. 

• Fenderish said:
    some of your questions find their answers just right here :

Very true. Thanks.

Looks like the FX loop is pre-comp and FX which is great. My guess is that cab/IRs can't be switched off. Shame.

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    You should check out Brett Kingman's video. He does turn various FX on and off in software. It may be you can do that with the IR blocks in the software too.

• That'd be good!

• Fenderish said:
    still don't get why they put built-in stereo effects but not a proper stereo power output and not a proper stereo effects loop
    Stereo is just for headphone and usb then ?
    The more I think about this, the more I'm gutted it doesn't have a stereo FX loop. Hoping for a TAE2 stereo!

the term "expander" would have been much more golden if the output amp was stereo too (and the fx loop with it)
    Of course you still "can" with a flat stereo PA using the line outs and your effects in between but not as practical as having all in.
    Just received mine today, and love what it adds to a valve amp. Bloody expensive, but fixes loads of the issues I have with amps (fx loop, adjusting volume without affecting sound, easy recording, solo volume boost, excellent reverb and delay,etc) and the GA-FC footswitch is great with it.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1