Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Paul's Guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    408s are brilliant, but I prefer the full fat bridge over the skinny one on the Paul's guitar.

Some people can't get past the newness of them or the fact you can't swap them for anything else. They are what they are though, love them or hate them, and you buy the guitar for them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    I liked the neck profile on my SC58 (pattern regular) and the hardshell case that it came in, but I was pleased to get rid of it and get my hands back on an SG1000, especially as it was a 3rd of the price too - Same quality.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:
    These comments are made in jest, I get that. Its all good. But it does raise an interesting thought...last year, I asked a question about how my Custom 24 didn't sound quite right and everyone said it was down to the 24 frets and that Custom 22s are "better" guitars. In my naivety, I sold it and regretted it.

The issue was never those extra frets, it was the pickup change and my misunderstanding of the tone, I get that now, especially now I've bought another one with the right pickups in it. But, nevertheless, I listened to internet wisdom and wish I hadn't.

Be nice if we qualified statements like that though, @crunchman what is it you don't like about 24 frets guitars, fella?
    I get lost up there.  My first PRS was a 24 fret guitar, and it just confused me.  When I'm playing reasonably high up (19th fret is about as high as I get), part of me works out where I am by the distance to the top fret.  When there are 24 I just get completely disorientated.

I don't know if there is something in the pickup position as well that works better on a 21 or 22 fret guitar.  Being under the harmonic isn't really a big deal, because the harmonic is in a different place as soon as you fret a note, but a 24 fret guitar does have the neck pickup closer to the bridge, which will affect tone.

Given that I never use the 22nd fret on the guitars I have, the extra two frets are totally unnecessary.
    That's good that you found that they're not for you. I like them and yep, I use the 23rd and 24th frets too. 

I have a 27 fret Caparison and even find a nice, musical use for the 27th fret on that. Those guitars are so well built that even that high a register still sounds natural and indeed, musical, without feeling or sounding forced. I find it exactly the same with the Custom 24. They're just really nice guitars.

They're tools. Doesn't matter how many frets they have. Everyone will find what they like or don't like.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    I don't like birds............I don't like the over-veneered coffee table furniture tops..........I don't like the price
    But......I would have one in an instant ....they are superbly made, sound awesome and the electronics are excellent .
    Like them or not they make a lot of other "older" brands look primitive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
    edited November 2018
    In France, is this called 'Les Paul's Guitar'? 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    edited November 2018
    I have the same problem with 88 key pianos, I mean, who uses 88 keys, I much prefer the tone and playability of an 86 key piano :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    kin said:
    I have the same problem with 88 key pianos, I mean, who uses 88 keys, I much prefer the tone and playability of an 86 key piano :)
    I prefer a 90 key piano
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• I love the idea of PRS,  comfortable to play, excellent functionality and tuning stability, reliable, solid.  I’m not into the bling but a non bird McCarty in a subtle finish can look great.

But, they never seem to sound great in the clips.
    To be fair I think a lot of that is to do with the PRS amps they use, they sound terrible, like a cheap fuzz pedal.  I’d like to hear more clips through better amps.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What's wrong with the tone in the video the OP posted?  It sounds great to me!
    Twinfan said:
    Just a bit too fretty in the mids  ;)
    edited November 2018
    terada said:
    Twinfan said:
    Just a bit too fretty in the mids 
    Oh and the top end is a bit too birdy too
    On the plus side though it does sound minty fresh  ;)
  • I always find the marmite response PRS guitars and their maker gets in forums a fascinating in sight in to human nature.

on paper every guitarist should love what he has tried and has done for the guitars we play.

right from the out he raised the quality bar for production guitars.

he has continued to refine and modify guitars and production to get closer to nailing the lightning in a bottle that is a really good guitar.

he is respectful to what his predecessors achieved and wants to carry that torch  far into the future producing more guitars that have the magical quality.

But despite all this people like Rabs honestly say I should like him what he does as a maker but can’t.

i sometime think it’s a form of tribalism with younger guitarists who see him as not credible to what I am about or what I wear or my music scene.

But the fact that Gibson and fender sell way more guitars and all they are trying to do is give people enough features from there golden age to justify the money and reserve the full fat features for people who can drop 3k and pay even more to get an authentic.

Nobody gets a custom 24 and feels they really should of spent the extra to get the R9 version you get a great guitar out the box.

As for pickup replacement problems with 408, that’s a pretty thin complaint why would you buy such a very specific functional guitar to stick Dimarzio in it. You have to get 408 or it be useful to you as it was intended it’s not designed to be a modding platform

i have them in my private stock and would happily change a few guitars over to them if they were available as an after market pickup. As for the size it would not be a problem to get something made to fit in this day and age but as I said why would you want to it’s supposed to work one way.

anyway I think the guitar world is way better for having PRS in it and nothing is universal people like what they like.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    the guitar world is way better for having PRS in it and nothing is universal people like what they like.

Wis’d
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2607
    edited November 2018 tFB Trader
    terada said:
    the guitar world is way better for having PRS in it and nothing is universal people like what they like.

Wis’d

Yes I agree too... 

As I said, I do totally respect what Paul has done...  As for why the guitars don't really do it for me, im not 100% sure why, just that its something I don't feel I need.. I love my Les Pauls, its what I always wanted and went for from day one and im happy with what I have, I have no gap that I feel needs filling.

I still love to perve over guitars though even if I know I will never buy one. And its always good to look at whats on the market and see whats going on and how people are reacting to it... Its not like I look down on PRS players or their guitars.. Im just not that interested, nothing more or less than that. I have no negative feelings towards them.

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2607
    tFB Trader
    gringopig said:
    Rabs said:
    terada said:

Wis’d

Yes I agree too... 

As I said, I do totally respect what Paul has done...  As for why the guitars don't really do it for me, im not 100% sure why, just that its something I don't feel I need.. I love my Les Pauls, its what I always wanted and went for from day one and im happy with what I have, I have no gap that I feel needs filling.

I still love to perve over guitars though even if I know I will never buy one. And its always good to look at whats on the market and see whats going on and how people are reacting to it... Its not like I look down on PRS players or their guitars.. Im just not that interested, nothing more or less than that. I have no negative feelings towards them.

I thought  they were guitars for dentists and 'top snobs'. I may have been wrong about it. I have 3 custom shop Les Pauls and I honestly think that the used McCarty is at least the equal and, dare I say it, more characterful and open sounding.

There may be some people who feel that way.. But not me...  People can buy and enjoy what they want....

As it goes though, the PRS tops can be a bit OTT for my taste.. But that has nothing to do with anything else but my own taste.. Flame and quilt tops can be very marmite for me, sometimes I see one that does just look right but mostly I prefer a more subtle look.

As for pickup replacement problems with 408, that’s a pretty thin complaint why would you buy such a very specific functional guitar to stick Dimarzio in it. You have to get 408 or it be useful to you as it was intended it’s not designed to be a modding platform

i have them in my private stock and would happily change a few guitars over to them if they were available as an after market pickup.
    @Jez6345789 - lets see your PS with 408s, I have a few myself  ;)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    edited November 2018
    I love PRS their guitars are awesome my Santana is the without doubt the best double humbucker guitar I've played - my Tele is however the best guitar I own