Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone tried double straps to prevent neck dive?

What's Hot
FatBastardFatBastard Frets: 7
edited November 2018 in Guitar
I have a 2016 SG Special HP. I like the guitar, but the combination of the  huge baseball bat like neck on that model along with the G-Force robot tuners will make it try and headbutt the ground whenever played standing up. I want the least invasive way of countering this, so was wondering if anyone had purchased a dual strap for this purpose and if it worked without being a ball and chain to wear. Something like this looks promising, but seventy quid seems a bit high on a punt for a bit of buckled leather unless I have good reason to believe it works. Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3838
    No, don't be silly. Deal with it, or ditch the SG and play a better--designed guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5411
    Jez Williams from Doves always used a double strap when I saw him play live... ES-335s for 98% of the set...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lebarque said:
    No, don't be silly. Deal with it, or ditch the SG and play a better--designed guitar.
    In what way is this 'silly'? I have heard of instances where this was the answer.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've never used one but I can't see how it would help the problem: the guitar is still being held by the same two points so the centre of gravity won't change, it'll just spread the weight over both shoulders.

I don't think there's any way of stopping neck dive apart from moving the strap buttons, and there aren't many places you could move them to on an SG.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• What about a strap with a suede inner, so that it 'grips' your clothes, that might help?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • On my Epi SG I just found a small pouch, filled it with load of coins as a counter weight and taped it to the end of the strap. Worked fairly well. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    edited November 2018
    Two options.  1) get a leather strap with a grabby back, this way there’s more friction to stop the neck diving so much or 2)Get a weighted strap made for you or make one yourself. Patch/pocket sown onto the body end of the strap and fill it with washers or fishing weights to counter balance. 

Actually three options, Ditch the robotuners for lighter weight manual ones. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6791
    Suede lined strap fixed a neck dive issue on a hollow body I have. Heistercamp have that option on loads of their straps.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • How about supporting the neck with your left hand, so it doesn’t dive?  ;)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • How about supporting the neck with your left hand, so it doesn’t dive?  ;)
    That’s what I do with my SG. It took me a few scares, but now I’ve ALWAYS got a hand on my guitar when it’s on the strap. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Check planet waves, saw one a little while ago of their ''new super duper double back savings super strap" and it was less than £70... :)
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    edited November 2018
    Here you go - £16. At least you can see if it works before splashing on a nice leather one..

https://www.andertons.co.uk/planet-waves-dare-(50dare000)-black-guitar-strap

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    grungebob said:
    Two options.  
    1) get a leather strap with a grabby back, this way there’s more friction to stop the neck diving so much or

2)Get a weighted strap made for you or make one yourself. Patch/pocket sown onto the body end of the strap and fill it with washers or fishing weights to counter balance. 

Actually three options, Ditch the robotuners for lighter weight manual ones. 
    These were my thoughts on the matter
    Heavy tuners at the end of a LONG neck create more rotational force than on other guitars. 
    Lighten the tuner weight and it could greatly reduce that effect

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3838
    Lebarque said:
    In what way is this 'silly'? I have heard of instances where this was the answer.
    Apols, just me being a drunken tool! I think the best solution here is to get a grippy strap, as others have said. But I stand by my 'get a more comfortable guitar' statement if it bothers you. I'm in the same boat - I've never got on with SG's or Telecasters because of the neck dive (and the fact that it feels like you're playing an ironing board!), so I usually stick to strat or Jazzmaster shapes, which are ergonomically perfect and don't suffer such issues.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    A chap I used to know had a 60s SG Special with bad neck dive. He cured it by fitting a large brass cowboy belt buckle to the strap just above the bottom strap button.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2934

I don't think there's any way of stopping neck dive apart from moving the strap buttons, and there aren't many places you could move them to on an SG.
    Actually it's easy, as long as you move the right button... which is the one on the rear, not the front. I did this on my '14 Standard, and it solved the neck dive instantly - but you'll only want to do this on a keeper, as it does involve drilling. FWIW, to correct strong neck dive, you'd need to move the front strap button to where it is on a Strat. I have seen this done on an SG - but the resulting metal contraption was not a good look!

Other options:
    The best approach is to remove weight from the headstock - Tronical tuners or the locking Grovers that Gibson sometimes fit are about the same weight, and can cause quite severe neck dive. I suspect some people who recommend 'holding the neck' have not experienced that degree of neck dive. You really want your fretting hand to be playing the guitar, not holding it up. Try standing and playing without a strap and see how much you ability is reduced. Of course, if you want to use the Tronical tuners (as I do), you need an alternative  option.

Adding weight at the body end (cavity, strap, etc.) seems to work for some people. Adding a Bigsby did nothing to help on that '14, and personally, I'd rather not make a light guitar heavy. Also, due to the physics, you'd need to add a lot more weight than you'd need to remove from the headstock.

Grippy strap: Will help with the immediate 'drop', but it will also gradually drag on what it's gripping, so you can expect a T-shirt to get progressively dragged over one shoulder.

When it comes to construction, it could be an easy fix: I have a Supreme with a maple cap and Diablo carve - it still has neck dive (larger headstock and Grovers don't help!), but the extra body weight compensates for the heavy headstock, and reduces neck dive to a level where a grippy strap, and even 'holding the neck' are effective solutions. 

The problem with discussions online is that some people simply haven't encountered the full extent of the neck dive you can get with an SG - they're not all the same.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2254
    I had an SG ages ago. It dived like everyone elses.

The root cause is one of physics. The centre of gravity is too far forward compared to the two support locations - the two strap pins. The solution is really one of two options:-

Move the centre of gravity back, by adding weight at the tail of the guitar, or by removing it from the headstock end.

or

You can move the supporting locations relative to the existing centre of gravity. Moving the front strap button isn't a great choice. You could rig a short "strap" up that is flat on the back of the guitar between the two buttons, and then find the ideal place to connect the back end of your proper guitar strap to that.

But I'd just stick some weights on the back of the strap, if I really wanted to keep the SG...

Wide, grippy straps sort of work, but rely of how well yoou clothing will transmit the forces without undressing you...!
  • LuttiS said:
    Here you go - £16. At least you can see if it works before splashing on a nice leather one..

https://www.andertons.co.uk/planet-waves-dare-(50dare000)-black-guitar-strap

Thanks for that. I had already seen that but the reviews on Amazon are very poor and say the connector is too low quality to secure it.
  • I've never used one but I can't see how it would help the problem: the guitar is still being held by the same two points so the centre of gravity won't change, it'll just spread the weight over both shoulders.

I'm not sure of the physics either, but I have read on other forums of the odd person who eliminated it by wearing a double strapped harness type guitar strap. I just wanted to hear if anyone had done the same here.
  • Lebarque said:
    Lebarque said:
    Apols, just me being a drunken tool! I think the best solution here is to get a grippy strap, as others have said. But I stand by my 'get a more comfortable guitar' statement if it bothers you. I'm in the same boat - I've never got on with SG's or Telecasters because of the neck dive (and the fact that it feels like you're playing an ironing board!), so I usually stick to strat or Jazzmaster shapes, which are ergonomically perfect and don't suffer such issues.
    I like the guitar enough to not chuck it and I will continue to support it with my left hand if I dont find a workable solution. I do wonder if it will not be the guitar I pick up by default eventually though if it is not particularly comfortable.