Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recovered Pedal Addicts

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7391
I took a look at the Pedalboards thread a few times in the last few weeks - because this stuff used to be my absolute go-to interest - I loved seeing what people were using, did oohs and ahhhs at big or complicated setups and generally loved all the geekery and faffing that goes along with building your effects setup.

But something has changed - now as soon as I see more than a few all I can think of is powering issues, isolation nightmares, patch cable woes. Basically at some point I've fallen out of love with pedalboards (I use that word because I still love the sound of effects.

I can't be sure but I think it's happened twice differently - at one point I went from an OTT pub-rock board (obviously I NEEDED 6 different types fo dirt pedal to cover all the bases...) to a Pedaltrain Nano (Boston, drive, trem or rotary, delay) that I gigged for a good while. 

Then things crept back up again to a full G2 monster setup - and then one day I went Helix.

Now I don't mean this as a multics vs pedals thing, or an anti-fx thing (I still LOVE the OTT sounds some people use) but I'm intrigued as to whether others have become reformed FXers? 

I think for me it isn't about becoming pro multi and anti pedal, it's just that I sub-hobby of keeping a pedalboard running and always seeking out the next perfect addition became a ball ache rather than fun.

So shout out - who else has moved away from all that (for whatever reason) ?

<no need to make this a defence of fx for those still into all that - that's not what this is about :-)  > 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7391
    oh, and That Pedal Show remains my most-watched youtube channel! :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    I've still got too many.

Buying pedals tends to be something I do when I can't play for some reason.

Then when I do get to play, I realise multiple choices of dirt, delay, mod, reverb, etc. is just silly, given that I'm not well-off or have loads of playing / storage space.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Monster G3 job is currently in the attic - downsizing to a "few" pedals and something (currently a POD HD 500) for (a few) presets.

Only presets I want is a few Edge ones - can't be arsed with lots of knob twiddling/programming.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Found some nice sou ding things I am happy with and then ran out of money :)

My current board is so tightly put together that I can't just buy a pedal to replace another, it'd mean regigging the whole thing and thats been useful in killing gas. 

Still want to try a Revival Drive though.

• I still have GAS for gear but have decided to invest in lessons instead. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 499
    I have tired of lugging the huge Pedaldeck  flight case about so I just bought a Pedaltrain Metro 20. Almost the same pedal set up though I bought a Hypergravity mini to replace the Marshall Ed and my Vox wah is too big so for the moment will live off board.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    edited November 2018
    I have 6 pedals on my board and I am happiest with that number. I litterally cannot be arsed re wiring it and messing about any more. 

I still love pedals and this is my favourite section of the forum but I find my interest waining a little with the lack of original creations and the ridiculous amount of rehashed drive pedals. 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Used to be a pedal junkie, constantly swapping out modulation sounds, delays and compressors but since changing from Tele to hollowbody I've moved away from that sound. Now I just use a combo with onboard trem and reverb and it's perfect. I find the hollowbody with P90 doesn't react to compression the same way as a Tele, so that's gone too.

Still use a couple of pedals with bass; comp, flange, delay and occasional vibrato but I haven't swapped them out in an age. I like it this way; much more focussed on making compositions and learning pieces rather than creating soundscapes with infinitesimal variations in modulation colour.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited November 2018
    I’ve got loads of pedals, but it’s over a year since I bought the Last one. It’s not that I lost interest, just I really like what I have.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72209
    TimmyO said:
    I took a look at the Pedalboards thread a few times in the last few weeks - because this stuff used to be my absolute go-to interest - I loved seeing what people were using, did oohs and ahhhs at big or complicated setups and generally loved all the geekery and faffing that goes along with building your effects setup.

But something has changed - now as soon as I see more than a few all I can think of is powering issues, isolation nightmares, patch cable woes. Basically at some point I've fallen out of love with pedalboards (I use that word because I still love the sound of effects.

I can't be sure but I think it's happened twice differently - at one point I went from an OTT pub-rock board (obviously I NEEDED 6 different types fo dirt pedal to cover all the bases...) to a Pedaltrain Nano (Boston, drive, trem or rotary, delay) that I gigged for a good while. 

Then things crept back up again to a full G2 monster setup - and then one day I went Helix.

Now I don't mean this as a multics vs pedals thing, or an anti-fx thing (I still LOVE the OTT sounds some people use) but I'm intrigued as to whether others have become reformed FXers? 

I think for me it isn't about becoming pro multi and anti pedal, it's just that I sub-hobby of keeping a pedalboard running and always seeking out the next perfect addition became a ball ache rather than fun.

So shout out - who else has moved away from all that (for whatever reason) ?
    Me, for all those reasons.

I have a Boss ME-50 and I really can't be bothered with pedalboards any more. The final straw was when I compared the all-digital ME-50 to my analogue pedalboard to see how much worse the ME-50 was, and was shocked to find that not only was there really no difference in most of the effects, of the ones which were different, the ME-50 mostly sounded *better*... even the overdrives and distortions, which is where I assumed the analogue pedals would easily win. So I sold most of my analogue pedals.

Even though there are a couple of bits of functionality I've lost - the feedbacker on the DF-2, and the DM-2's ability to self-oscillate - I really would find it hard to summon up the enthusiasm to build another pedalboard. If I want that sort of thing I'm more likely to look at a more sophisticated multi than a separate pedal... although I haven't found anything I like yet. (Not helped by the trend towards round metal footswitches on most modern multis, which I hate.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great thread...

Well, my journey has been one of excessive amp and pedal expenditure since about 2012...

Now, no amps at all, guitars reduced, 3 pedals left, and running a Kemper. 

Ill get a used Helix Floor too, when one appears on the Forum...
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I don’t buy nearly as many pedals as I used to, but still way prefer power supplies, checking Ma levels, patch cables etc than menus and software updates.

Horses for courses.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27962
    I went Helix for the flexibility and haven't looked back. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Like @Gadget, I used to buy pedals when I couldn't play...pedals then inspired me to play. It keeps your interest and it's fun.

I'm reformed though. Since going digital, I bought one or two but now they've all gone and I'm fully Kemper. I also use some plugins for FX, they're fun too.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I used to buy loads of drive pedals till I worked out they all sounded much the same. The main differences to sound are those made to the amp's eq section.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5140
    edited November 2018
    I have 6 pedals on my board and I am happiest with that number. I litterally cannot be arsed re wiring it and messing about any more. 

I still love pedals and this is my favourite section of the forum but I find my interest waining a little with the lack of original creations and the ridiculous amount of rehashed drive pedals. 

I’m happiest at about 6 pedals.... anymore than that and I get itchy feet...Still really happy with my Hudson Broadcast and I’ve got a Skreddy 1971 incoming...I still love trying something new out, but don’t hang onto stuff needlessly.....(as you've all probably noticed) :)
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    I like shopping
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7745

Me too!

I've gone from a quite frankly ridiculous chain of 34 pedals to a far more sensible 28.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have more pedals than I use. 

I fancied an all Boss board, but never had the dough. An all Ibanez Soundtank board could have been achievable, but I pissed a lot of my wages away in those days.

I occasionally move pedals on and still have too many overdrive units.

I have a complete collection of later Locobox pedals, but only have three on my board currently.

I play bass in a cover band and probably only need a floor tuner.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72209
    edited November 2018
    dindude said:
    I don’t buy nearly as many pedals as I used to, but still way prefer power supplies, checking Ma levels, patch cables etc than menus and software updates.
    I also dislike menus and software updates, which is exactly why I have a Boss ME-50.

No menus, no push-button/scroll-wheel editing, just knobs. You don't even have to programme it if you don't want to, there's a manual mode (which I always use) - basically it's an analogue pedalboard but without the power supply, cabling hassle or need to replace pedals when you want something different - just turn a knob. OK you can only have one distortion at once, one modulation and one delay (plus compressor, wah, and reverb) but for most purposes that's fine.

But if you do want to programme it to save your favourite settings, you can. It puzzles me why this simple concept isn't more common.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein