What is causing this noise?

What's Hot
randersonranderson Frets: 187
edited November 2018 in Studio & Recording
I'm tracking guitars through a Suhr reactive load box into logic.

Meters for tracking are all averaging -18db so am pretty sure this isn't clipping but I am encountering two different types of noise on all guitar tracks. 

This is occurring on different guitars and different amps

The first noise is a high pitched digital popping sound that can occur during tracking but will appear and disappear at various points within an 8 bar passage.
Sometimes it will appear 2 secs in and sometimes 6 secs in. However it doesn't print. i.e when I bounce the isolated track it isn't there.

The second sound does print and is heard in this short mp3 (after 2nd strum and more thereafter)

https://soundcloud.com/user-224518695/guitar-test-4/s-GM3v2
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I had the thought it could be power related and have now plugged straight into the wall as opposed to a plugboard but it makes no difference.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Take a look at the waveform in the Track/Region File edit page. If the original guitar signal seems present and correct, you could have an issue with the monitoring via your audio in/out device.

Another possible explanation is that your host computer is struggling to process all of your multi-track recording quickly enough.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Take a look at the waveform in the Track/Region File edit page. If the original guitar signal seems present and correct, you could have an issue with the monitoring via your audio in/out device.

Another possible explanation is that your host computer is struggling to process all of your multi-track recording quickly enough.
    Thanks for this. Wave forms are all correct no blips registered visually.I've literally got one guitar track in the whole project nothing else added as I'm just mucking around with IR's. Surely it can't be processing power?

Having said that I've just tested with a mic. Same issue -  happening on mic inputs too so not just guitar..
  • By way of exclusion I can now positively state however that it is definitely not one of the following:

The Suhr Reactive Load Box
    The amp
    Microphone / Mic Cable
    Guitar / Guitar cable
    Power in the room
    Light Dimmer switch in the room

Therefore it has to be either the DAW, Macbook or the Firewire cable, I can't immediately swap any of these out to see if the noise persists sadly. I have also had no issues with my macbook or DAW to date so it is most likely the firewire cable.

So I suppose my question has become - Can a Firewire cable cause the noises demonstrated in the mp3 in my original post?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    Try increasing the buffer size, you get that kind of noise when the computers busy doing other stuff in the background and the buffers set small 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    edited November 2018
    Well...I definitely had issues with a dodgy FW cable, not the same as you but a new Lindy FW cable did solve my problem.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Danny1969 said:
    Try increasing the buffer size, you get that kind of noise when the computers busy doing other stuff in the background and the buffers set small 
    Currently set on 64 - too low?

spark240 said:
    Well...I definitely had issues with a dodgy FW cable, not the same as you but a new Lindy FW cable did solve my problem.
    Thanks, ordered now!
  • New Lindy firewire cable arrived today. Made no difference unfortunately. I really am at a loss here..
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited November 2018
    randerson said:
    New Lindy firewire cable arrived today. Made no difference unfortunately. I really am at a loss here..
    As mentioned earlier it could well be the buffer size.  If it's too low for the capabilities of your computer hardware then you'll get clicks and pops because the computer can't keep up with the processing demands of the incoming signal.  Try increasing the buffer and see if that effects any improvement.  If you set it too high then you get perceptible latency so the trick is finding the lowest value that doesn't click and pop and which doesn't have unacceptable latency.  If you can't find a value that works then basically your computer hardware doesn't have enough grunt to do the job.      
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    randerson said:
    Danny1969 said:
    Currently set on 64 - too low?

spark240 said:
    Thanks, ordered now!
    64 is pretty low, I would get shit load of artifacts on my system with that setting. Try 128 and see if it improves.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Danny1969 said:
    You beauty. That was exactly the problem. Increased buffer size = problem solved. Thanks for all your help guys!