Pedal builds

AlvinAlvin Frets: 414
edited November 2018 in Making & Modding
A first attempt at posting pictures . I built these ages ago and was asked to post at the time .
  These have been finished with epoxy and glitter . I also used chalk in the epoxy to give it some colour .

Ah , easier than i thought , just copy image and then paste here !

And
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• How did you do the legends? That’s the kind of thing I’d like to make, I’m not too keen on the full inkjet/Envirotex thing.
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 414
     I have tried different things , started with a marker pen , then cutting out letters to make the words up and it works but doesn't finish them off nice. When i got into a roll and started making a few more i bought a cheap electronic Dymo label maker , they are only about £20.00 . They look so much better with printed labels , i should have got one at the start but in the beginning you don't know if they will turn out ok .
      I do the first layer of epoxy , stick the labels on and then do a clear layer of epoxy over the top of them to seal them in place . 

I have no idea about inkjet images , the ones i have seen done by others look great .  Envirotex might be easier to use than my method - if it takes longer to cure (never used it) .
      I just go to Poundland and buy there epoxy tubes , one tube can easily do the tops of two pedals (possibly three)  colour it with the chalk to change the colour and the glitter idea is to give it a mettalic finish  but not to vajazzled , it also disguises flaws .  It's a gamble how they turn out but better than plain enclosures and it only takes a day with epoxy . It is by far the easiest and toughest finish for an amature .
       Also the coloured enclosures are from Tayda , there paint is very thin and easy to wear through if you try to rub down (lesson learnt) .

I have also tried swirling and spraying , but you have to wait so long for it them dry and the end result isn't as durable .

• Glitter works quite well, I especially like the blue ones. Nice job
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 414

A swirled Red Llama   (paint job not worth the effort)
      Home made labels  on a Purple Plexi  and a Zendrive done with a marker .    This was when i decided i needed a proper label machine .

And with a green led to match the scheme .   The other two are  @thorpyfx and a Karma Klon - not mine .
  • Interesting stuff @Alvin, thanks. I might experiment with the Poundland epoxy. I also want to try some of the rub-on transfer inkjet paper, my attempts to make waterslide decals always ended up dissolving the ink as soon as I put them in water.