Pickup orientation

normula1normula1 Frets: 640
I recently came across a pair of Gibson 61 pickups which are described as part of the burstbucker family (which have mismatched coils) with the screw coil having more turns as opposed to the normal slug coil which apparently is the dominant coil due to the "slugs having more steel".
I've never really liked the neck pickup on my SG as it's position makes it too "woody". So in the interest of science, I swapped the pickup orientation so that the slug coil was closer to the neck with the result being way more of the creaminess I like about a neck pickup. I'm not a fan of the look, but the sound is IMO much better.
I'd love the opinion of our resident pickup gurus thoughts on Gibson's blurb.
 @Alegree ; @TheGuitarWeasel ;
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Uncharacteristically accurate by Gibson standards.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    normula1 said:
    I've never really liked the neck pickup on my SG
    This, I understand. 

I have always found the sound of a vintage style humbucker in the neck/Rhythm position of an SG a bit meh. In my opinion, a P90 does a better job of the "creaminess" - especially through overdriven valve amplification.

normula1 said:
    in the interest of science, I swapped the pickup orientation so that the slug coil was closer to the neck
    I would take this notion to its logical conclusion by installing a DiMarzio DP163 Bluesbucker. That way, the polepieces of the stronger coil are in the "right" place.

If you do not care for exposed polepieces being in the "wrong" places, consider changing to pickups with fully closed covers. e.g. Gibson Iommi signature humbucker or an out-sized vintage Firebird type design.

My very favourite pickup pairing on an SG was the Bare Knuckle 'Pig 90 set. Crank the pre- and power amplifier stages of a valve amplifier, play, adjust the guitar's volume and tone pots to taste, play some more, grin hugely.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    edited November 2018
    I am considering a fully closed cover :)
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I too have sinned. I've intentionally put a Bridge humbucker in the Neck position! More than once!
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 414
    I was intended to "reverse" a humbucker in a build i did because the humbucker is at an angle , figured it would work better if the polepieces were at a similar height .  The lead isn't long enough so i have left it for now but i might  in the future  .  Having them the wrong way around is no issue for me .  It could look odd if there was a name on the pickup though , unless you rub it off withT-cut ?