Opinions please...

What's Hot
SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
edited November 2018 in Guitar
I'm thinking about pimping my superstrat up a bit with some blue pickups, knobs and a switch tip, but I'm in a bit of a dilemma about the electronics.

I'm happy with the Seymour Duncan 59/JB combo, but other contenders include the Dimarzio Air Norton/Tone Zone combo, or Alegree Heat Waves and all of them provide powder blue bobbins (I think).

I was also thinking of the multi-coloured Jason Becker set, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get someone to route for a middle S cleanly - Would someone need to use the original pickguard as a stencil for an entirely new pickguard?

What's your thoughts?

https://i.imgur.com/M0JnQen.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57E-dUPuMzg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    I love Seymour Duncans, but I'd appreciate them more without that damn logo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Take a look under the pickguard. The G&L body might already be routed HSH. If so, you just need a replacement pickguard.
    Schnozz said:
    I'm happy with the Seymour Duncan 59/JB combo
    Which begs the question, why change them? If you just want a splash of colour, consider bobbin toppers.

Schnozz said:
    I'm not sure how easy it is to get someone to route for a middle S
    It might be simpler to change to a five-way Superswitch and mimic the DiMarzio/Ibanez circuit that yields;
    Bridge HB, Inside Coils, Bridge HB + Neck HB, Neck HB with its coils in parallel, Neck HB.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2018
    Take a look under the pickguard. The G&L body might already be routed HSH. If so, you just need a replacement pickguard.
    Schnozz said:
    I'm happy with the Seymour Duncan 59/JB combo
    Which begs the question, why change them? If you just want a splash of colour, consider bobbin toppers.

Schnozz said:
    I'm not sure how easy it is to get someone to route for a middle S
    It might be simpler to change to a five-way Superswitch and mimic the DiMarzio/Ibanez circuit that yields;
    Bridge HB, Inside Coils, Bridge HB + Neck HB, Neck HB with its coils in parallel, Neck HB.
    Cheers Funkfingers,

It's definitely routed for HSH and the coil split works well, so it's more for aesthetic purposes - What's a bobbin topper? You can remove the top plastic? s
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Interesting! Thank you
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71954
    Schnozz said:
    I love Seymour Duncans, but I'd appreciate them more without that damn logo.
    Easily removed in two minutes with some T-Cut.

Personally, I think the guitar looks great as it is - apart from the Duncan logos - and I wouldn't change anything else.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    If you just want to spruce up the colour scheme of the pickups while covering the SD logo, there's this great Japanese company that @skullfunkerry recommended for my RG: https://www.inlaystickers.com/collections/6-pickups-decal

Came within the week, well packaged & ready to go. Yet to put em on yet as the strings are still new(ish), but hey, it's something that might be worth considering.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Tenebrous said:
    If you just want to spruce up the colour scheme of the pickups while covering the SD logo, there's this great Japanese company that @skullfunkerry recommended for my RG: https://www.inlaystickers.com/collections/6-pickups-decal

Came within the week, well packaged & ready to go. Yet to put em on yet as the strings are still new(ish), but hey, it's something that might be worth considering.

They look good as well - What's the difference between F-spaced and normal spacing? (You can tell I mod nothing)

Will give the T-cut a go as well!!
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Schnozz said:
    Tenebrous said:

They look good as well - What's the difference between F-spaced and normal spacing? (You can tell I mod nothing)

Will give the T-cut a go as well!!
    The F-spaced ones are ever so slightly bigger. They've very detailed diagrams on the website so you can measure exactly what you have, but chances are they'll be F-spaced.
  • Tenebrous said:

They came really quickly! Looking forward to seeing them when they're on :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom