New pickups in my Dot

So the current wiring makes no sound barring a loud humming. It’s going to need a switch and or a jack I suspect and I’m leaning towards doing both given the faff level. 
What should I buy? Switchcraft? I’ve got a pair of fletcher paradise on order. Hopefully with me for the end of the month. I’m expecting not to need to change the pots. They didn’t crackle and as far as I see a pots a pots a pot. Tapers aside! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This modding and building lark is quite addictive! 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    the current wiring makes no sound barring a loud humming.
    Several possible causes for that.

It’s going to need a switch and or a jack I suspect and I’m leaning towards doing both given the faff level. 
    Unless your Epiphone has a control cavity cover plate on the rear (like the B.B. King Lucille model), the faff of replacing the jack socket involves drawing pretty nearly all of the harness out through the bridge/Treble pickup cavity.

If you are very lucky, there might be enough slack in the loom to persuade the selector switch across to the lower F hole, where it should be possible to get a soldering iron to it.

I’m expecting not to need to change the pots. They didn’t crackle and as far as I see a pots a pots a pot. Tapers aside! 
    Suit yourself. ;)

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • So if I can get the switch out can I swap the pickups? I assumed they’d run to the pots. No control panel to remove... I reckon with some welding wire and a pit of patience it shouldn’t be too bad... 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    If you are going to the hassle of swapping the pickups, take the lot out and make a cardboard template of the controls location, build it on the template and check everything works as it should and then reassemble. I use heatshrink tubing on the knurled section of the pots to draw it through the body, other people use strong button cotton etc
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    So if I can get the switch out can I swap the pickups?
    No. If you can unfasten the selector switch and manoeuvre it until it is visible through the F hole, you can check whether it is causing the loss of signal. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.