Jazz picks - Any downside

What's Hot
BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2176
I’ve been using small jazz picks for about a year now. I find them far more accurate, controllable and I like being closer to the strings. I grabbed one of my old standard shaped picks the other day and pardon the pun, it felt like a blunt instrument. 

Those more experienced, is there any downside to using Jazz picks in your opinion?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I use Jazz 3 picks mainly, it's just a personal preference. I do switch back to heavy tortex from time to time but overall I'm just more accurate with a small pointy plectrum.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• I've been using Dunlop Jazz 3 picks for years, and I mainly play electric. The only downside I see is that I have to play more softly when strumming an acoustic, but I see this as a positive as it forces me to focus more on the dynamics. Overall, I much prefer them to either larger or softer material picks.
  • I like the purple Tortex Jazz iii's. I normally switch between those and the .88 green tortex ones with a sharp end. The only time I miss the larger size of the green ones if if I really want to bash away at some power chords quite aggressively. I find the large size gives me a bit more to grab onto and the pick doesn't fly away with a hard strum.
  • I use the the Carbon Fibre Max Grip mini ones - after years of drilling holes in Tortex picks for extra traction ..
    main issues are theyre easy to lose and being black absolutely useless to find if you drop on a dark stage . 
    Also not so good for pick scrapes due to small size ..
    what I didnt appreciate is how many Dunlop Jazz models n materials theyre are ... 

https://www.jimdunlop.com/category/products/guitar+picks/jazz.do ;  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 851
    The only downside is when doing funky waka-waka rhythm stuff (some may disagree) where a thinner pick may be more suitable....usually can't be bothered and flick a finger. I've used Jazz IIIs for decades and am now also picking up my V-pick (even thicker) and Jazz III-size Stubby, Tortex and Ultex. So yes to all of the above.
  • I can't think of a downside, apart from experimenting with other picks for tone. For example a thin pick for a clicky acoustic sound.

Many years ago I asked Alan Murphy what pick he used at an SFX gig and he gave me one of his black (stiffo) Jazz 3 picks. As I was obssessed with his playing, I forced myself to get used to that type of pick. That's the type of pick I used for years, but now I prefer the Jazz 3 Ultex (amber coloured) pick for tone, grip and feel. Varying the tightness of grip allows me to emulate a stiff to lighter feel, for everything from faster picking to funk rhythm.

I'm used to Jazz 3 size now, and bigger picks feel a bit unwieldy to me but, for example, I could happily use a Fender 351 size if necessary.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • No downside to using a Jazz III.  If that's what you like then keep using it.  
  • If you like it then keep using them.

For my tastes there are a few downsides but YMMV.

I don’t think they’re the right choice for acoustic playing or strumming, and switching between small and normal sized pick playing does take me a bit of time to adjust. So that’s one reason I don’t use them. I find it easier to just stick with normal sized picks.

The other is that IMO they don’t sound as chunky for the type of riffs I play as a bigger pick. I usually prefer the sound of a Tortex TIII .88 these days but I also like other thicknesses and the max grip nylons as well.

But it is all personal preference at the end of the day.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11873
    I've used 3mm stubbies for about 30 years, as mentioned excellent control, accuracy, dynamics, and it helps you slow down and phrase solos

I fingerpick acoustic
    If I do need to strum an acoustic with a plectrum, I use a larger thinner flat pick, the stubby is not as well suited I think
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14166
    tFB Trader
    I use 2mm Stubbies (middle size so one up from Jazz)  and struggle to be comfortable with any other pick now

The biggest issue I have with any pic is the person in control of what the pic can do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3971
    I like a Jazz III size for.... jazz and then the XL size for rock/metal/more strummy stuff.

I think when I first picked up a Jazz III all those years ago I was all "wow this is so accurate" but for me I felt it granted a bit of the feel of accuracy without me actually improving my accuracy, so I tend to practise more with the bigger pick now.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
    Downside for me was playing heavy rhythm. They don't quite have the attack you get from a bigger pick. The Tortex TIII picks remedy this some what.

I did just use the Eric Johnson Jazz IIIs last night and I'm really enjoying them again
  • Over the last year I've startede using smaller and smaller picks. That all started when trying a Jazz III. Currently my favourites are Ernie Balls new Prodigy Minis in a 2mm.

For comparison:

Top: Dunlop standard size, Pick Boy Pos a Grip, Dunlop John Petrucci Flow, Chicken Picks Badazz

Bottom: D’addario Black Ice, Dunlop Jazz III, Ernie Ball Prodigy Mini, D’andrea Pro Plec 358

• I used to use Herco 75s but then went on a Jazz III odyssey due to my worship of Eric Johnson. Can't use a normal size pick now but I can't imagine wanting to go back. The Hercos feel like dustbin lids by comparison :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Only downside I've noticed is they're easier to lose than the big ones.