UA Apollo Twin MKII - is it worth it for Podcasting/Occasional music, or something else?

So, I currently use an old-as-hell Alesis IO2 to record 3 regular podcasts, which include myself and one other person on each. I'm using both my mic inputs with 2 x SM7B mics.

Dont get me wrong, it sounds good (considering i'm recording in a spare room with a fair bit of echo, its not a very dead room) and im editing and mixing them using a variety of built-in plugins on Logic and Ozone 8 for mastering. 

I want to upgrade the interface as I feel like its cheapness can sort of be heard on the recordings no matter what I really do to them. 

Would you say a UA Apollo Twin MK2 is overkill for this situation? If so, what would you recommend? I have a thunderbolt 3 equipped MacBook pro and use Logic as my DAW, I am open to other, more affordable suggestions if needs be.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    To be honest converters in even budget interfaces are pretty good these days.
    If you are unable to get a sound you like with a modern interface then it probably won't be cured by spending money on converters.

UA Apollo Twin is very good for what it does but UA plugins are going to rack up a large bill for you, but they are very good.
    You can probably get away without getting into the UA ecosystem now though.

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is a decent interface for the money.

For my money though I'd go RME for anything less than a 16 channel interface.
    Driver support is excellent.
  • I recently purchased an Apollo x8p. I love some of the plugins, but some of them are crap. None of the amp sims are particularly head and shoulders above native plugin solutions.

I LOVE the unison preamp modelling. It's simply brilliant and really does feel like I have 8x 1073 pre+eq's in a rack.

Thunderbolt is brilliant for low latency, and zero latency monitoring through the Console application too.

The cheapness in your recordings will not be down to the cheapness of your equipment. It will be down to lack of knowledge, experience, and acoustic treatment in your room.
  • So, I currently use an old-as-hell Alesis IO2 to record 3 regular podcasts, which include myself and one other person on each. I'm using both my mic inputs with 2 x SM7B mics.

Dont get me wrong, it sounds good (considering i'm recording in a spare room with a fair bit of echo, its not a very dead room) and im editing and mixing them using a variety of built-in plugins on Logic and Ozone 8 for mastering. 

I want to upgrade the interface as I feel like its cheapness can sort of be heard on the recordings no matter what I really do to them. 

Would you say a UA Apollo Twin MK2 is overkill for this situation? If so, what would you recommend? I have a thunderbolt 3 equipped MacBook pro and use Logic as my DAW, I am open to other, more affordable suggestions if needs be.

Yes it's overkill. 

Steinberg UR22, Zoom UAC-2, NI KA6, Focusrite as Octa said. Any of these will be an improvement on the IO2.