Power supply ideas for a DL-4

What's Hot
thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
I’m having a re-jig of my pedalboard and I want to power everything off a single supply and ditch the Line 6 wallwart. I’m getting conflicting info on the DL-4’s current consumption though... I think I might be able to do it with a Cioks DC5, like this:

Outlets 1-3 (100mA each) powering 5-6 analog drive/distortion/modulation pedals (4-10mA each) at 9V.

Outlet 4 (300mA) powering a Digitech Digiverb (135mA). Might swap it for a Hall of Fame, Polara or something similar in future.

Outlet 5 (300mA) powering the DL-4, not sure if it needs to be at 9V or 12V.

Anybody powering a DL-4 off a Cioks?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have a DL-4 and have looked into powering it from a dc supply (although it's still on the Line6 ac supply at the moment). The information I gleaned (and I have it written down on a note to myself) is that it needs somewhere between 175 - 250mA at 12Vdc (centre negative).

I'm afraid I'm on a new laptop since researching this so I no longer have the relevent online sources bookmarked.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited November 2018
    I have a Voodoo Labs power supply that handles Line 6 devices like the DL-4. It's the Digital ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • I have a DL-4 and have looked into powering it from a dc supply (although it's still on the Line6 ac supply at the moment). The information I gleaned (and I have it written down on a note to myself) is that it needs somewhere between 175 - 250mA at 12Vdc (centre negative).

I'm afraid I'm on a new laptop since researching this so I no longer have the relevent online sources bookmarked.
    Yes, I think I saw similar figures for it. I was also looking at the Cioks Schizophrenic, which says it can power a DL-4 from a 200mA, 12V output. This suggests it requires well below 200mA, but I thought the 300mA of the DC5 would be safer, especially if it requires 250mA as your figures suggest.
  • JimmyWingsJimmyWings Frets: 25
    edited November 2018
    You can power the DL4 from regular 9vDC. You just need the Diago green adaptor. More info here:
    https://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/55666/

Essentially.... the pedal has a diode rectifier stage in it's power circuit, which means it will not be destroyed by a high voltage supply. I used to run a DL-4 with a Voodoo Labs PP2+ for years and years and never had any problems. Just make sure you use the right polarity adapter as I said.

So you can power it from 9vAC or 12vDC with a polarity adapter. Don't worry about the current (ma) - it will draw as much as it needs. A Strymon Ojai or Zuma would get you where you want too.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    edited November 2018
    The 6th post here gives a pretty comprehensive description of the ins and outs of powereing the DL4.
  • Thanks for the advice guys. I’ve seen most of that, but some say you need 12V dc, others say it works fine with 9V dc. And there’s little real info about how much current it will draw at either voltage, only the 1.2A ac that the wallwart supplies.

I think that the 300mA outlet of the DC5, along with the option of upping it to 12V if required should be pretty safe. The Ojai would no doubt be fine with 500mA on each output, but that has an external laptop-style brick to power it.