Roland Chorus Echo RE-301 and WEM Copicat Super IC.

What's Hot
DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
I've just dug out these from my father in laws music room cupboard.  He's asked me to sell them - however I don't really know too much about them.

Both 'work' for the most part, but the Copicat is very noisy indeed, and it seems one of the tape heads isn't working - however it looks like I can buy them from Amp Fix.  I've got spare tapes for it too.  The Roland seems to be working fine, chorus, echo and reverb all working as it should.  There is quite a lot of mains hum though, and most of the pots are noisy.

The Roland looks like it's worth servicing - not massive amounts to go on regarding recently sold examples but it looks like they're quite desirable.  The Copicat less so, but I'm comfortable with a soldering iron so I could easily change the knackered tape head.

Anyone got any experience with these?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sibosibo Frets: 0
    If you're looking to get rid of them as projects/spares or repair, then I may well be interested.

Soundgas in Derbyshire may be worth a shout - they do a lot of work on tape echos.
  • I second soundgas for works/evaluation https://soundgas.com/
    Trading feedback here
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited November 2018
    to sell, Re 301 look for 1000 gbp and the copycat 300-400. So most likely both worth a service.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    to sell, Re 301 look for 1000 gbp and the copycat 300-400. So most likely both worth a service.
    I think your WEM price is somewhat optimistic, they seem to appear fairly often on eBay atm, prices around 200, valve models go for more. OP’s example is very clean, so with a service it could make a decent figure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12645
    More likely to be the circuitry to the head rather than the head itself on the Copicat. Check the switches first. 

They aren’t rocket science - noise is often the usual suspects (caps etc). 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    Thanks all.  Agreed about the Copicat price, they do seem to vary somewhat but both definitely worth servicing - they seem to sell ok.

There have already been a couple of offers to buy as they are, but I'm going to service them / get them serviced first, hopefully that'll be enough time for me to research some recent sold prices to get a sensible price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    There’s a chap near me trying to flog a non-functional valve Copicat for £346 with the following thrilling description:

“I bought without cover., the coating taking off and ripped, then I tried to make the best., Painted, did the cover in acrylic, replaces the valves and worked perfectly. After just my time to finish, i kept in shed, but Unfortunately now not work properly, the audio not have more delay effect. Please no silly offer.”

Hey, you might get lucky.
  • @Dodge ;
    the 301 is worth a lot, get it serviced, i have the contact of an ex roland service guy, best in UK, not that expensive, well worth getting that tip top shape to sell. for me its 1 of the best tape echos ever made.

the copy cat, those later IC versions dont usually go for much, prob not worth servicing and selling as is.
    for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom