Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Telecasters.. CS or new American Original 60's

What's Hot
All,

I know this is a tough one, but putting aside the marketing hype, do we think that the average CS Tele is 'that' much better than one of one of the new American Original 60's. I'm not bothered about replica/aging etc. Street price of a CS is circa £3.2k against £1.5k for the Original 60's...Appreciate the law of diminishing returns but that's a fair difference.

If you weren't bother about an F on the headstock what else would you be looking at for around £1.5 - £2k.

Appreciate your thoughts..

Si
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    Secondhand CS relic for that money is where it's at... assuming the neck is straight and all that it will always be in mint condition.

I've owned a few Telecasters in my time and currently have one CS (recently acquired) and one USA. The CS is a little more magical, but the USA is damn good. Try a few if you need to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @Whitecat ;

The problem I have is that I've waited for months and months for the 'right' CS to come along and I haven't spotted a single one; needs to be bound Tele, 3T SB, R/W FB and I'm not really prepared to compromise.. Seem's like if I am going to get one it would have to be new or keep waiting for something that may never appear..

Si

Thanks @Whitecat ;

The problem I have is that I've waited for months and months for the 'right' CS to come along and I haven't spotted a single one; needs to be bound Tele, 3T SB, R/W FB and I'm not really prepared to compromise.. Seem's like if I am going to get one it would have to be new or keep waiting for something that may never appear..

Si

Ah yes, if you have specific requirements it's definitely trickier to nail down a CS. You have to either compromise one or two things or just suck it up and order one...you'll likely be pushing into £3k for a custom order though these days depending on what you need.

In terms of alternative brands, the LSL stuff at Peach has caught my eye recently, they look pretty cool. Palir also makes a nice T-style (World Guitars sells) but I personally am annoyed by the headstock design, it looks too small to me with the strings overhanging the cutout on the bottom. Wicked guitars otherwise though and if I really found the right one I wouldn't actually worry about that too much. :)
  • p_jay78p_jay78 Frets: 182
    I recently bought one of the American Original 60s Strats and its an absolute tone monster. Felt far more 'alive' than the current professional models I tried. I've been through over 10 Strats before I have found the one i'm going to keep.

I also tried one of the American Original bound teles, and that was fantastic also. Well worth the £! 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited November 2018
    All,

I know this is a tough one, but putting aside the marketing hype, do we think that the average CS Tele is 'that' much better than one of one of the new American Original 60's. I'm not bothered about replica/aging etc. Street price of a CS is circa £3.2k against £1.5k for the Original 60's...Appreciate the law of diminishing returns but that's a fair difference.

If you weren't bother about an F on the headstock what else would you be looking at for around £1.5 - £2k.

Appreciate your thoughts..

Si
    You'll find some variety of opinion, so as always try to play a bunch to see what fits .

I'm a huge fan of custom shop instruments on the Gibson side, but am yet to own a fender one - have played loads though.

A tele is quite a simple object really, not much to go wrong, strats have a bit more going on and despite this I am yet to find a better playing and sounding strat than my 62 AVRI. It knocks the socks off my MIA and MIM standards and has been better in my hands than any custom shop strat I've tried (not by much though).

I very much like the finishes of the custom shop stuff though, and perhaps there are other subtleties that I'm not aware about.

I'd have a word with @guitars4you though, great service by everything I've heard on the forum (hopefully will purchase something from him myself at some point  )
    terada said:

I'd have a word with @guitars4you though, great service by everything I've heard on the forum (hopefully will purchase something from him myself at some point  )
    +1. He knows his Custom Shop onions very well and he supplied me with my CS Tele...
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    terada said:
    A tele is quite a simple object really, 
    and yet you can still pay almost £7k for a new one!

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/fender-custom-shop-masterbuilt-53-tele-tan-line-heavy-relic-nocaster-blonde.htm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    dbphoto said:
    terada said:
    A tele is quite a simple object really, 
    and yet you can still pay almost £7k for a new one!

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/fender-custom-shop-masterbuilt-53-tele-tan-line-heavy-relic-nocaster-blonde.htm
    Bonkers to me, but hey if you've got the money and it makes you happy
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12324
    If you want an exact spec how about a partscaster, I've had various tele's and new I wanted specifically a 7.25 radius rosewood neck, so bought an allparts nitro one and a US highway one nitro body, then specced all the other parts total cost about £550.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    munckee said:
    If you want an exact spec how about a partscaster, I've had various tele's and new I wanted specifically a 7.25 radius rosewood neck, so bought an allparts nitro one and a US highway one nitro body, then specced all the other parts total cost about £550.
    Or to take it a step further, perhaps a Crimson tele kit. Been thinking a lot about doing one of these lately
  • Thanks for the input all..

The problems for me are;

a) Whilst I think CS guitars are great I don't consider them worth the asking price personally so absolute last resort would be buying new.
    b) Finding a S/H CS to my spec is like Unicorn hunting - again part of the challenge is my restricted spec and I don't want a relic as it's not my thing - of course I would be prepared to compromise a little on the relic side but it would have to be a 'light' level and I face the limited supply side challenge
    c) If I was going to go for a new Ameri 60's bound I'd want to try as many as poss and ensure I pick what suits me best; trying to find a retailer with a decent stock level appears to be somewhat of a challenge at the mo but I'll keep hunting. The advantage here is that there is at least something in the supply chain that meets my spec..

Tough decisions.. :)

Si

• AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    Second hand custom shop is the way to go. The odd bargain comes up but really you should have your pick for around £1800-£1900.

A second hand Nash tele might be worth a look
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have both, A, C.S. N.O.S Tele custom, in black, & an American Original in Fiesta Red.

The, Original, does hold it's own against the Custom shop.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14174
    tFB Trader
    Thanks @Whitecat ;

Si

The issue with any second hand purchase and a specific shopping list is as you have found out - They don't come along when you want one - Not sure if you are looking for a new C/S or used - https://www.guitars4you.co.uk/guitars/5401-fender-custom-shop-63-journeyman-relic-tele-custom-sunburst/ - ticks most of the boxes but maybe not the price tag you want - You'd probably need to keep hunting hard to find a similar used version and I'd say around £2200/2400 used now, based on recent price increases

https://www.guitars4you.co.uk/guitars/5618-fender-custom-shop-vintage-custom-1959-custom-tele/ - This has just arrived into stock - similar but barely aged at all 

Chances of finding any used NOS finish will be a long search - Around 80% of the CS business is composed of aged finishes, so used and you'll find very little out there with such a specific spec that you require

Let me know if I can help further
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    Thanks @Whitecat ;

Si

The issue with any second hand purchase and a specific shopping list is as you have found out - They don't come along when you want one - Not sure if you are looking for a new C/S or used - https://www.guitars4you.co.uk/guitars/5401-fender-custom-shop-63-journeyman-relic-tele-custom-sunburst/ - ticks most of the boxes but maybe not the price tag you want - You'd probably need to keep hunting hard to find a similar used version and I'd say around £2200/2400 used now, based on recent price increases

https://www.guitars4you.co.uk/guitars/5618-fender-custom-shop-vintage-custom-1959-custom-tele/ - This has just arrived into stock - similar but barely aged at all 

Chances of finding any used NOS finish will be a long search - Around 80% of the CS business is composed of aged finishes, so used and you'll find very little out there with such a specific spec that you require

Those Teles look good, Mark. When I first started 'collecting' guitars (in a small way) I was surprised at how many people would buy a new guitar, and didn't want it to look new. I was then told that it was about 80% of the CS market, as you say. I have what I think is a lovely looking, and playing, CS Strat which I put up for sale (but it isn't now) but got very little interest in it, apart from a bit on eBay. I'm not a big fan of relics (but it's all a matter of taste, different strokes etc) and it really is much more difficult to find the condition and colour that you want in a 'new' finish. With the colour and spec variations with Fender CS's, it does seem to be an easier process to spec your own, apart (for me) a) the depreciation and b) you've still not played it when it's delivered to you.

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    DB1 said:
     I have what I think is a lovely looking, and playing, CS Strat which I put up for sale (but it isn't now) but got very little interest in it, apart from a bit on eBay. I'm not a big fan of relics (but it's all a matter of taste, different strokes etc) and it really is much more difficult to find the condition and colour that you want in a 'new' finish. With the colour and spec variations with Fender CS's, it does seem to be an easier process to spec your own, apart (for me) a) the depreciation and b) you've still not played it when it's delivered to you.

Looks like a Custom Deluxe or similar Dave - They do sell at the right place but far less popular than a vintage based model, for whatever reason

You can as you say create/place your own order to your own spec - But around 6 month waiting time and as you say you are buying without trying - I do undertake such orders, but my opinion is to buy what is on the shelf if you can
    DB1 said:
    Thanks @Whitecat ;

Si

Those Teles look good, Mark. When I first started 'collecting' guitars (in a small way) I was surprised at how many people would buy a new guitar, and didn't want it to look new. I was then told that it was about 80% of the CS market, as you say. I have what I think is a lovely looking, and playing, CS Strat which I put up for sale (but it isn't now) but got very little interest in it, apart from a bit on eBay. I'm not a big fan of relics (but it's all a matter of taste, different strokes etc) and it really is much more difficult to find the condition and colour that you want in a 'new' finish. With the colour and spec variations with Fender CS's, it does seem to be an easier process to spec your own, apart (for me) a) the depreciation and b) you've still not played it when it's delivered to you.

Love that finish, and its great to see some modern saddles. Proper nice guitar that
    tFB Trader
    terada said:
    DB1 said:
    Thanks @Whitecat ;

Si

Love that finish, and its great to see some modern saddles. Proper nice guitar that
    modern spec'd with top nut end truss rod - 22 fret - Not sure what neck profile is on that Stat, as various options available

Modern tuners - maybe locking - Believe it is a Custom Deluxe or similar 

Obviously good at Gymnastics to balance all on its own like that
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    edited November 2018
    Thanks for the nice comment - it is nice, I must admit. It's the colour I wanted, although it's Sonic Blue (only got the floor traveller sheet the other day, kindly supplied by Marc at Coda Music - I thought it was Daphne Blue, which it was described as when I bought it. No matter, it's pretty (to me, anyway).

Mark at @guitars4you is right, it's the Custom Deluxe, and I didn't know that they were harder to shift than others until someone told me the other day. I don't know WHY they are, to be honest - Fenders aren't my strong point. I suppose it just illustrates the huge range of specs and choice out there. A 1955 Gibson ES-125, on the other hand - sunburst, or, erm, sunburst? I'll go with the sunburst.

Mark, I'd be going with your advice of choosing used.
    Call me Dave.
  • Depending on whether you get on with vintage frets:

If you think you'd always feel a bit disappointed by a guitar that didn't look precisely as you've described, I'd make the American Original plan A. I haven't heard a bad word about any of the AOs yet.

I'd say it's still worth trying any reasonably priced CS you come across that meets your most basic criteria, though. My favourite guitar is a (used, NOS) Strat that wasn't exactly right on paper, but then I played it and I didn't care.