Interesting Couple of Guitars

What's Hot
I'm.a new member, and thought I'd show off a couple of neat instruments that I've collected over the years.

A pair of bowl-back acoustics from the 1980s, 6-string and fretless bass. You'll know the builder, although probably not for hs guitars - it is Brynn Hiscox, who was a luthier and started Hiscox Cases when he couldn't find cases for his uniquely shaped guitars. Guess who doesn't make a case that'll fit the bass?
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    I remember the six-string being reviewed in the very early '80s. Really interesting piece of UK guitar-making history. Very cool! 

How do they play and sound? What's the scale of the bass?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Seem to remember those being advertised in Beat Instrumental or International Musician. 
  • I'd love to know more about these!, especially that bass. What are the woods? And the scale length? I'm really drawn to that lute construction technique.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31470
    danowens said:
     I'm really drawn to that lute construction technique.
    Me too, though I've sold my last Baroque lute. I wish I could remember who made the case, they do all kinds of one-offs, and it wasn't that expensive either.

http://i68.tinypic.com/rkvdqq.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I remember these well. I played one a couple of times.  I guess the fact that we had to play Ovations in the 70's conditioned us to round back guitars. I also seem to remember a UK ? brand called Pilgrim producing a multi piece wooden round back design, or was that just the marketing name for Hiscox ? It's a long time ago !
  • Thanks to all who have commented. To give a few more details...
    Hiscox guitars were reviewed in International Musician, which is where I saw them. I decided I wanted one, but had just commissioned a Lowden from George when he was still a one-man band. £750 in 1982 was a lot of money, so there was no way I could afford a Hiscox then.
    Fast forward to about 2008, when I saw the six-string in Hanks in Denmark Street, and bargained the guy down to a reasonable price. Soundwise, well... I'm lousy at describing sounds, and don't normally go much further than "sounds nice". But this is very balanced, projects well, and is really loud.
    The bass was bought in the early 2000s... so long ago that I bought it when Exchange & Mart was the place to look. It was made for Dave Peacock (of Chas & Dave) and was one of only two acoustic basses that Hiscox made. It's a standard Precision scale (34"?), has a really nice ebony fretboard, and the flatwound strings may be original. It sounds like a string bass when plugged in, and is the biggest feedback monster I've ever played.
    As for woods: rosewood backs, spruce tops, ebony fingerboards. Both are fitted with pickups, but this is genuine 1980s tech and so not the best sounding.
    The internal construction is interesting, and I'll post a couple more pictures when I get a minute...
  • Hmmm... OK, so forgot to edit Dropbox link...

• The internal seams on both instruments are reinforced with tape and varnish, and there's a spine connecting the neck and tail blocks to add strength. Never quite seen anything else like it.
  • tape and varnish ? yikes !
  • Yep... I think that's a lute technique, but wherever it comes from, it's held up pretty well for over 30 years...