Tosin Abasi

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
What a sicko.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I really like his playing but I know a lot of peope hate him.

For me he really gave tech/progressive metal the kick up the ass it needed.
    Old Is Gold
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    He's just a beast.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I love how much he enjoys playing, I saw them support Meshuggah in Brighton, and he was grinning like a mad man the whole way through his set.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    He's fantastic.

I sometimes find it a little hard to get into his music though.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884

An amazingly talented guy, I really like some of it, but it's the same problem I have with Rusty Cooley - some of the faster bits sound sloppy and rushed (e.g. 47:40) and I'm not a fan of the low down power chords, the percussive part of the sound is too weak for me

All a matter of taste though

• He was a bit sloppy on that top one but he is usually spot on, to be fair he looks a bit uncomfrotable doing that demo.
    Old Is Gold
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    I think he is brilliant, talented with a personal signature style, which I admit I do have to be in the right mood to fully enjoy.

Re the "sloppy" playing in the first video, it is a long demo session, and the pressure to be spot on is not the same as a live gig or recording session, anyway the sound mix is appalling, there is virtually nothing of the backing, so god only knows what he was hearing on the day.  It screws the appreciation for us listening too, how hard was it to mix backing and guitar that for the demo room?.

But IMO Animals as Leaders could do with a bass player as the 8 strings just don't seem to carry the low end punch necessary.
    And as for having a lead drummer ?  the John Entwistle of the skins, actually a bit out of control like Moon-ie, they need someone who sits in the music and is tight with a good groove and imagination like Drew's drummer, again all IMHO.

Just had a thought - imagine if he did a prog power-trio type project with him on guitar, Evan Brewer from the Faceless on bass and Danny Carey from Tool on drums. That would be quite something.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    Some really innovative stuff. 

Refreshing when someone reminds you it hasn't all been done.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6099
    Quite a brilliant player, but would rather have my teeth extracted without the Novocaine than have to listen to this sort of stuff.  :-S
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884

It is a shame to not include a real bass, it's always a compromise when you try to play more than one part on any instrument

btw I tried using an 8 string, based on seeing Animals as Leaders clips, but in the end I realised that a 30 inch baritone works better for me. This is why I have strong opinions on using OD/distortion on very low notes

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Ye gods, that's awful.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    edited April 2014
    What utter musical bollocks. Some shredders have the tendency the lose sight of what makes rock'n'roll 'good' but this guy tosses it away completely. If Vicky Pollard could play guitar she'd sound just like this arse.

It's total nonsense.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6099

Lixarto said:
    Ye gods, that's awful.
    Oh yeah, don't let music get in the way of technique, this takes musical masturbation to another level completely but it's probably a good sonic solution for driving out rodents and the like from your garden sheds.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    edited April 2014
    matt1973 said:
    What utter musical bollocks. Some shredders have the tendency the lose sight of what makes rock'n'roll 'good' but this guy tosses it away completely. If Vicky Pollard could play guitar she'd sound just like this arse.

It's total nonsense.
    It's not meant to be "rock and roll", if anything it has a lot more in common with jazz fusion or similar. Except a lot heavier, obviously.

If you came into this thread looking for RAWK attitude, you've definitely ended up in the wrong place. That's just not the point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    Bucket said:
    matt1973 said:

It's total nonsense.
    It's not meant to be "rock and roll", if anything it has a lot more in common with jazz fusion or similar. Except a lot heavier, obviously.

If you came into this thread looking for RAWK attitude, you've definitely ended up in the wrong place. That's just not the point.

Jazz Fusion or similar? Ahhh I see, it must be brilliant then. I stand corrected.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2014
    matt1973 said:
    Jazz Fusion or similar? Ahhh I see, it must be brilliant then. I stand corrected.
    I never said you had to change your opinion based on what I said, but I do think you missed the point of what Tosin's stuff is meant to sound like. As I said, if you go into it expecting balls-out hard rock, you will probably be disappointed, because that just isn't the angle he's coming from. If you go in expecting some seriously crazy, complex, head-fucking stuff you might not be disappointed.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    edited April 2014
    See I just don't get AAL, a guitarist friend of mine loves them and a complete non musician friend recommended them as something to listen to. So i thought okay fair enough. I bought a few albums; Weightless and the self titled debut.

Bits of it I like: the chunky chunky stuff and some of the intricate clean stuff (not really the tapping stuff). But for me personally the cheesy Steve Vai style lead spoils the tunes.
    I dont hear any crazy head fucking stuff tbh. It's no more jazz fusion than bb king is, that's not meant to get anyones back up. It's just not jazz fusion. Maybe has elements of jazz in, and odd meters etc.
     I've heard a bit of the TRAM stuff and maybe I'll give it a listen. I would love to hear a collaboration with Squarepusher though. Disco Volante, Devin Townsend and Meshuggah i "get" I just don't understand why AAL are so revered.

So to summarise I don't despise AAL, i just don't get the bruhaha. And to be fair, I have given them a fair airing. I think Tobin is a good guitarist.

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    If you came into this thread looking for music, you're clearly in the wrong place.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    I prefer Toni Basil, to be honest.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom