Tosin Abasi

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386

Bucket said:
    matt1973 said:
    Jazz Fusion or similar? Ahhh I see, it must be brilliant then. I stand corrected.
    I never said you had to change your opinion based on what I said, but I do think you missed the point of what Tosin's stuff is meant to sound like. As I said, if you go into it expecting balls-out hard rock, you will probably be disappointed, because that just isn't the angle he's coming from. If you go in expecting some seriously crazy, complex, head-fucking stuff you might not be disappointed.

Music is one of few guilt-free antidotes to all of the crazy, complex, head-fucking stuff life can throw at you. As an angle, this concept of adding to that doesn't entice me. 

I can understand how some might have a fascination with this guys guitar technique. But personally, as a music-lover, I have every right to expect more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    lol @ the h8rs. Go back to your shitty AC/DC tribute acts and your boring ass white-man blues rip offs.

As for Tosin, I think it's incredibly that on the micro level he can fit so many notes into a bar, and on the macro level it makes these melodies that you wouldn't traditionally assosciate with guitar. He plays his guitar more like a piano, and I think it is pretty killer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    edited April 2014
    2m40s in
    One-trick pony, and it's not even a great trick, tbh. Technique alone, Marshal Harrison wipes the floor with him.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    edited April 2014
    I don't see what a wanky solo at a wanky guitar event proves about him?

It's like saying Usain Bolt is shit because he wasn't great jogging around a park or Lewis Hamilton is useless because you saw him drive to Tescos in a Polo.

No one is making you listen to him or like his work, but to judge him on that rather than Animals as Leaders is ridiculous.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6096
    Drew_fx said:
    He plays his guitar more like a piano, and I think it is pretty killer.
    Yep... just like this but not quite as musical 

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah we get it @equalsql you don't like his playing.

Why not spend your energy finding music you like instead of bashing what you don't?
    equalsql said:
    Drew_fx said:
    He plays his guitar more like a piano, and I think it is pretty killer.
    Yep... just like this but not quite as musical 

I'd fuck him till he was less racist and less dead.
    edited April 2014
    Well done Drew, and with respect to Tosin Abasi..and to use your particular (and sadly predictable)  vernacular: You could 'fuck him' till he learnt to play a melody and you were less misogynistic.
    I bet if he played it at 5bpm you'd hear a melody. Give your child ears chance to catch up, eh?? ;)
    Yeah we get it @equalsql you don't like his playing.

Why not spend your energy finding music you like instead of bashing what you don't?
    I'm not knocking the guy's playing ability, he's an exceptional player and technician, truly skilled, it just seems such a waste to see such extraordinary ability being used to produce such unmusical content. He's looking to make a musical statement that proclaims his skill, but is in danger of going down the Henry Kaiser route. Wayne Krantz managed to do it, i.e.work outside the box and still produce exceptional music.

edited April 2014
    Drew_fx said:
    I bet if he played it at 5bpm you'd hear a melody. Give your child ears chance to catch up, eh?? ;)
      I'll try that.. and let my daughter see if she can identify one 
    ;)
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    To me a great guitarist needs to be able to play across various styles reasonably well. My video was to show he's a one-trick pony. And that trick isn't very musical and certainly not the apex of virtuosity.

See... I find that Marshall Harrison video way less musical than Tosin's! That whole shred up and down a scale thing has been done to death, and was never really that interesting to me in the first place.

The thing with styles like Tosin's you have to kind of be able to zoom in and out of the music... to contextually switch on the fly between the note level and the wider rhythm level. To me the interplay you get between the rhythm section and the guitar becomes very interesting once you do this. The switch between textures is also appealing to me, rather than just having a single tone throughout.

I'd rather listen to the entirity of Weightless by AAL than 30 seconds of Marshall Harrison's playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I think Stanley Jordan plays the guitar like a Piano, I don't hear it in Tosins playing. I like fast guitarists, Guthrie, Allan, Jason Becker etc. Slow is as good as fast in my book. I will continue to listen to AAL , might just take me a while to get it.
    I'm a huge AH fan, and i've been trying to brainwash convert my mate. He can't stand his lead playing, but to my ears I hear so much more than speed.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Im quite the AALfan, its just different to whats out there now. Its not djent, its not fusion and its actually quite unusual.  Saying that, every one pisses their pants over Guthire but I personally think Erotic Cakes is shit.  Just my opinion though :)
    Marshall Harrison appears to be guitar wankery at it's finest. That's not music, it's a technical exercise.

You can't say Tosin isn't versatile based on a wanky solo at a wanky guitar event, go listen to a AAL album, he covers loads of styles.

As for the unmusical comments, my missus hums along with guitar parts in the car, which she's only heard a few times in the car. That seems a good definition of "musical" to me.
  • I like the rhythm work in AAL.  I'm not always in to the soloing style but the guy knows how to write a good groove.

That Marshall Harrison 8 string clip sounds like an out-take from Centrifugal Funk, I'm not really in to it (but I do like some of the work on that album taken for what it is).

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    He's obviosuly a great player but Im afraid I just dont like his choons. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ