What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14213
in Guitar tFB Trader

Comments

• AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    Looks like a shark bit it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    In the auctions listing they haven't even mentioned the obvious question.  I'll leave it to the experts....
  • Got excited there, thought it was the SG model
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    I reckon that one would be no problem. Just thickness the body down and fit a maple cap - that would take care of the binding and the middle pickup rout at the same time. New fingerboard from some other run of the mill old Gibson, cut the headstock down a bit, refinish it and you’re done - instant “burst”.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Ok im not an expert so i got no idea whats up with it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020
  • gringopig said:
    Look up the timeline for Gibson models. There was no 1961 Les Paul in that format. It had changed to the SG style we all know and love but also with the Les Paul branding.

There are several examples of the original les paul custom in '61. Probably to fulfil existing orders. It would make sense for any factory to have an overlap so they always have something to sell.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020
    https://guitars.com/inventory/eb6677-early-1961-gibson-les-paul-custom

The SG shape was introduced *in* 1961, not on January 1st 1961.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2934
    ICBM said:
    https://guitars.com/inventory/eb6677-early-1961-gibson-les-paul-custom

The SG shape was introduced *in* 1961, not on January 1st 1961.
    Indeed, the SG shape went into production late in 1960, as Standard and Custom models, but it wasn't officially announced until early in 1961, with other versions following later in the year. I guess a '61 Custom must be a rarity, even more so than a Standard. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Bigsby said: I guess a '61 Custom must be a rarity, even more so than a Standard. 
    And FAR more cool.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Theirs not really anything too odd about the date, theirs been a few guitars on this forum which the model spec and the date stamp haven't been consistent with the year. I may be corrected but I'm pretty sure guitars were stamped when they left the factory. This custom could have been a special order, warranty claim or simply one of the last to be made. We'll never really know but it's a cool piece of history. Will be interesting to see what it sells for. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    gringopig said:
    Philly_Q said:
    In the auctions listing they haven't even mentioned the obvious question.  I'll leave it to the experts....
    You don't really have to be an expert to detect the glaring error lol
    What I meant was, like many I've always had it in my head "no Les Pauls between 1960 and 1968", thinking of that as if it was 31.12.1960 to 01.01.1968, but of course it's not that simple. 

As the comments above point out, a few singlecut LPs must have crept into 1961 (and production didn't re-start until some time into 1968, presumably).
    Exactly. Production changes don't happen on New Year's Day, and even if they did, guitars take weeks to make and companies usually like to use up old stock until model-specific parts run out. So although the first SG-shape "Les Pauls" were made in very late 1960, the last singlecuts were not - especially as they were selling very few of them at all, and it may have taken months to use up the last of the bodies and necks.

The obsession with 'year' in the guitar industry is partly responsible for this sort of misunderstanding - and even when it's done deliberately as a 'model year' as Gibson do now, the first ones seem to come out before the end of the preceding year and the last will most likely over-run, especially if that year's model wasn't as popular as they expected.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    It's well established that a few single-cut Les Paul Customs were produced into 1961.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6901
    1961 Gibson Les Paul Custom electric guitar, made in USA, ser. no. 1 1xx8; Finish: black, evidence of refinishing/overspray, blemishes to table, buckle rash and rubbing to back, wear to neck, further marks as typical for age, filed hole between controls from a previously installed switch; Fretboard; Ebony; Frets: generally good, refret; Electrics: working, PAF pickups, bridge and neck pickups rewound, neck pickup bobbin replaced (original retained) pickups missing covers, some resoldering; Hardware; replaced nut, replaced bridge (original retained), stop bar a Les Paul Junior wrap-around type, pickguard probably later, one replaced stop bar post (original retained), hole in control plate from a previously installed switch;  Case: 1970s Gibson hard case; Overall condition: good for age.

Given all the things highlighted above what value does the forum put in this guitar?

Previously known as stevebrum
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1378
    I will offer a few quid....
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14213
    tFB Trader
    Iamnobody said:
    1961 Gibson Les Paul Custom electric guitar, made in USA, ser. no. 1 1xx8; Finish: black, evidence of refinishing/overspray, blemishes to table, buckle rash and rubbing to back, wear to neck, further marks as typical for age, filed hole between controls from a previously installed switch; Fretboard; Ebony; Frets: generally good, refret; Electrics: working, PAF pickups, bridge and neck pickups rewound, neck pickup bobbin replaced (original retained) pickups missing covers, some resoldering; Hardware; replaced nut, replaced bridge (original retained), stop bar a Les Paul Junior wrap-around type, pickguard probably later, one replaced stop bar post (original retained), hole in control plate from a previously installed switch;  Case: 1970s Gibson hard case; Overall condition: good for age.

Given all the things highlighted above what value does the forum put in this guitar?

This was more my point when I stated in the opening header  'some discussion points here'

I agree that it is possible for a 61 LP Custom to exist, but check it out carefully to establish this fact - A few key points have been raised earlier by others - But the highlighted items show to many negatives for me to be interested in it, certainly with that scale of potential price tag attached -  And remember you need to add nearly 1/4 to the hammer price in additional fees, so £20K hammer ='s £24k to be removed from your bank account