PSA Marshall Origin Amps cheap

What's Hot

Comments

• mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    edited April 2019
    mixolyd said:
    I wonder how well they get on with a reactive load.  
    This well (Suhr RL, Ownhammer 4x12):

https://youtu.be/hmcQmdzB-RY
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    Is the 20W fixed bias?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    So this is my new rig

I rather like it, but I can totally see why a load of people returned them.

You really have to think of it as essentially a cleanish to light breakup amp unless you are going to absolutely kick the crap out of it. Even with the gain maxed it's only just starting to crunch up. Luckily I like amps like that so it's all good with me.

If you keep the master and bass up and the mids and gain down you could almost kid someone it was a Fender.

It seems to really love the Badass Distortion, White Atom, Liquid Sunshine, and Veteran. It absolutely hates my DLS to a comedic degree ( Guess preamp into preamp not so good), but it does seem like a pretty good pedal amp.

I must say on paper it seems like a more versatile than the new mini Plexi as well as being a lot cheaper.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    My thoughts on the 20w Combo, just about the right volume when pushed, plenty of bottom end ( no idea why the Anderton Vid criticised it ) as its not shy in the thump dept.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    If you crank it right up and play with humbuckers you can get a fair bit of gain out of it, more than a cranked JTM45 and with a tighter low end too. Still not tried one with a treble booster yet, really think it would be a great match for an old school raw rock tone.
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    I’m toying with the idea of getting the 20 watter while I wait for the classics to come into stock 
  • 20 watt combo arrived this week. Such a great classic Marshall sound. With a les Paul traditional with 57 classics it can get pretty good levels of gain out of it but you need to crank the master to get there(as with most old Marshall’s) -
    gain high and low master is pretty clean so I can see where people may be disappointed on first try. Crank that master though and it is glorious. Ac/Dc level gain and maybe a bit more. 

Clean with gain pedals is also superb- OCD, TS808, JHS Kilt/Ruby Red all sound amazing though it(particularly the TS to just push and tighten it up)

Havent been able to crank the 20w mode yet though so looking forward to trying that out. On the middle power setting it is still way loud. 

Also to second @sweepy the 10” speaker is no slouch. I have purchased it with the intention of modding to a 12”greenback so will see how that goes in terms of sound quality - would be very happy just leaving it with the 10” though. 

Absolute bargain at £299 for a 20w valve combo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    sweepy said:
    My thoughts on the 20w Combo, just about the right volume when pushed, plenty of bottom end ( no idea why the Anderton Vid criticised it ) as its not shy in the thump dept.

I think they had literally just played the 50 watt so it's probably just by comparison.
    How are the cleans, same as JTM?
    tFB Trader
    Really nice cleans. The bit I've been most impressed with.
    Really nice cleans. The bit I've been most impressed with.
    Nice.  Sounds like that price was a steal.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6901
    edited April 2019
    Bargain! I should drop by the amp section more regularly. I’d have probably picked one up at £299. On the .5 watt setting would it behave like a THR10 in terms of volume?

I need something mostly household and neighbour friendly. The THR10 does that - but I always feel I’m missing something on the very odd occasion I might want to crank the volume a little.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    tFB Trader
    Even on the 1 watt it's much louder thana THR

You can run it at talking level but it will be clean
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6901
    Ah Ok - thanks. Maybe it wouldn’t be suitable.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • JoolsJools Frets: 22
    Got to play mine for the first time last night, running through my newly acquired 2061cx 2x12 cab, I was gobsmacked at the quality a low volume, had the kids sleeping two doors down so couldn't test loud. But on the 0.5w and 3w the sound created at such low volume was an eye opener.

I use a THR5 for quiet play around the house but these need cranking up a bit and lots of bottom end added in comparison, my usual settings for low volume had too much bass. Just need to crank it up with some pedals next.
    tFB Trader
    I tried blasting the Origin with the Rangemaster side of the @ThorpyFX ; Veteran and it's absolutely epic.

I've also just bought a Jettenuator so I can experiment with some really cranked sounds.
  • JoolsJools Frets: 22
    Good to know, I am still in nappies with pedals, those ThorpyFX look well made, like the knob fences, prevents clumsy feet I guess?
    tFB Trader
    Yeah I think that's the idea.
  • @monquixote I hope we'll get to hear the Origin at the East Anglia get-together
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    tFB Trader
    You will once I get around to organising it :)