Korg Arp Odyssey

What's Hot
I can no longer play guitar so I'd like to get a decent synth that doesn't involve menus and pushing the same button a zillion times.
Does the Korg qualify as a decent synth?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited November 2018
    It has no patch memory so I wouldn't necessarily suggest it as the best option for a first time synth.
    It also has slim keys and is a bugger to get in tune.

If you want something good and flexible but still cool then look at a Moog Sub 37 (mono synth), Dave Smith Prophet Rev 2 (poly synth), or Korg Prologue.
    There are several Roland options too, if you'd like me to take you through them then just ask.

If you want something cheaper then Korg Monologue, Novation BassSation II or Novation Ultranova.

Try to avoid mini keys if you can.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    edited November 2018
    @GavRichList is probably the man to ask. Try the forum search engine. There are probably several threads about the synth.

The KORG Legacy Collection software version of the Odyssey offers patch memories, duophony and polyphony, onboard effects and three filter types.

The ol' Creamware Prodyssey ASB module also offers polyphony and effects. It only offers two filter type models.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    edited November 2018
    I had an Arp in the 70s and later a Korg Mono/Poly so I'm quite familiar with both brands. I can only use 1 hand so I'm not looking for anything complicated.

Forgot to say, £500 - £600 is as much as I'd want to spend.
    Sassafras said:
    I had an Arp in the 70s and later a Korg Mono/Poly so I'm quite familiar with both brands. I can only use 1 hand so I'm not looking for anything complicated.

Forgot to say, £500 - £600 is as much as I'd want to spend.
    How about £634 for a Behringer DeepMind?

https://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Behringer-DeepMind-12-Synthesizer/1RU7

You will struggle to get more synth for your money.
    Sassafras said:
    I can only use 1 hand
    This could present a problem. 

As can be seen in the Deep Mind 6/12 product demonstration videos, part of the joy of full panel analogue subtractive synthesis is simultaneously tweaking the controls with one hand whilst noodling a few notes with the other. 
    Be seeing you.
    Tempting, but it's Behringer. Their stuff's always packed up on me just outside the warranty period so I'm reluctant to sink that much into a brand I don't trust. Also, it looks a lot more fiddly than I can handle (or need). Thanks anyway..
    Are there any Roland synths that would fit the bill at that price?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • As @octotonic says, it is fiddly and there are no presets. 

It does however, sound really very good indeed, especially for the cash. They’re circa £500 now so in that respect they’re a no brainer. I really like mine. The layout is a little odd at first, but worth the time. 
    Sassafras said:
    Tempting, but it's Behringer. Their stuff's always packed up on me just outside the warranty period so I'm reluctant to sink that much into a brand I don't trust. Also, it looks a lot more fiddly than I can handle (or need). Thanks anyway..
    I'm also pretty anti-Behringer but they are knocking these things out of the park.
    I don't need a Deepmind as I have have Moogs, but I will absolutely buy their 808 and 909 clones.

In Roland you are looking at something like the JDXi or the Juno DS61 but the Deepmind is better.
    All the good Roland stuff is outside your budget unless you want a SH01a, but you'd find that quite limited unless you are doing dance music.
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    edited November 2018
    Behringer make the best affordable synths these days.  I’d get their Model D monosynth for £300 and either a hardware sequencer (Beatstep pro?) or sequence it from an iPad.  If you only have use of one hand then getting into sequencing is the way to go.

Or you could go crazy and get a Synthstrom Deluge.

For polysynths the affordable non-Behringer option is the Korg Minilogue but it doesn’t sound all that great.
    mixolyd said:

If that is on the table then get an Electron Digitakt.
    Amazing box.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Some good examples above (except the Prologue - that's got a well-documented tuning bug that Korg is very late on fixing).

But I'd ask first, what are you looking to do? Sound design from scratch ... compose multi-part music wanting a squillion ready-made/realistic sounds ... create music without a computer ... smooth/organic or harsh/edgy ... monophonic or polyphonic?

If you don't want to prod away at buttons - as mentioned - then avoid the Deluge/Digitakt suggestions!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    goldtop said:
    Some good examples above (except the Prologue - that's got a well-documented tuning bug that Korg is very late on fixing).

But I'd ask first, what are you looking to do? Sound design from scratch ... compose multi-part music wanting a squillion ready-made/realistic sounds ... create music without a computer ... smooth/organic or harsh/edgy ... monophonic or polyphonic?

If you don't want to prod away at buttons - as mentioned - then avoid the Deluge/Digitakt suggestions!
    I don't need a squillion presets or computer compatibility, just a good basic sounding oscillator, filter and envelope generator section.
    Something similar to the original Odyssey and the Korg Mono/Poly I used to have. Monophonic is fine and it has to be analogue. I certainly can't deal with millions of options. Harsh/edgy is good but it would be nice to be able to do some smooth string sounds as well.
    octatonic said:
    mixolyd said:

Amazing box.
    Is that not a sophisticated drum machine?
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Arturia Keystep would be a good controller as it can be played as keys but also has a sequencer.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Sassafras said:
    goldtop said:

I don't need a squillion presets or computer compatibility, just a good basic sounding oscillator, filter and envelope generator section.
    Something similar to the original Odyssey and the Korg Mono/Poly I used to have. Monophonic is fine and it has to be analogue. I certainly can't deal with millions of options. Harsh/edgy is good but it would be nice to be able to do some smooth string sounds as well.
    The Korg Monologue fits your description.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Sassafras said:
    goldtop said:

OK, then the Korg Arp Odyssey seems a good bet. Monologue, too.

The Waldorf Pulse 2 is great if you don't mind its way of working, and has the bonus of a paraphonic mode that might be fun for string chords.
    Sassafras said:
    You have not expressly stated a preference for pure analogue circuitry. Two Roland digital polyphonic synthesizers with knobs on that spring to mind are the JD-800 and the JP-8000. Pre-owned examples of these ought to be available within your budget.
    Be seeing you.
    Sassafras said:
    You have not expressly stated a preference for pure analogue circuitry. Two Roland digital polyphonic synthesizers with knobs on that spring to mind are the JD-800 and the JP-8000. Pre-owned examples of these ought to be available within your budget.
    Ah yes, sorry Mr Fingers, I should've said, analogue only. I can't get my head round digital gear. Simplicity is key for me. A well laid out control panel like the Odyssey is what I need.
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I have an Arturia Minibrute 2 s which might be right up your alley. Straightforward 2 osc mono synth with loads of patch points for when you feel experimental and a very sophisticated sequencer. Sounds great and can get pretty gnarly. There is also a keyboard version which has a less sophisticated sequencer.

Moog Mother 32 or the Behringer Neutron look interesting, the Moog has a built in sequencer. Moog Grandmother looks awesome but is probably a couple of hundred outside your price range. It's a great time to be buying analogue synths.
    Sassafras said:
    octatonic said:
    mixolyd said:

Amazing box.
    Is that not a sophisticated drum machine?
    Sort of....
    because it is an Elektron box it does a hell of a lot more than that.

I wasn't actually suggesting the OP do it though- but the Deluge and the Digitakt are quite similar in how they work, with the exception of the Deluge having virtually no screen.