SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold: 1975 Orange Reverb Twin £600

What's Hot
strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
edited February 2021 in Amps £
I've spent quite a lot restoring this from a non-functioning state and have owned it for about 10 years now. Last serviced about 2 years ago by a well respected local amp tech (Tony Hamilton). 

September 1975 Orange Reverb Twin. 
50 watt 2xEL34, 6 preamp valves.

Based on a Fender Twin, but with EL34s. Put in 6CA7s and it's very twin like, but gets that lovely "pushed" sound at slightly more sensible volumes (it has a set of 6CA7s in at the moment but I'll also supply a pair of EL34s).
Lovely valve driven spring reverb and proper optocoupler tremolo.

All sounding and working as it should

Speakers are original 1970s Celestion G12H30's which are lovely, one of them has been reconed about 10 years ago so is well broken in again.

Footswitch is a non-original.

Very extensive work done to get it back in good order, including an exact matching top handle as the original was broken (although i still have it if needed/wanted), and the badge is a period correct one which Orange very kindly sent me.
Electrically it's had the bulging electrolytic caps replaced with good modern replacements, a couple of rectifier diodes changed, and a good once over to give it a clean bill of health.
The only thing that would be recommended if you were going to gig it would be a modern kettle plug rather than the original hardwired plug. this would require a chassis modification though which is why I've left it original for now.

Really lovely sounding amp, and I always swore I'd keep it for years, but ultimately my gigging days are over and it's too loud for me to use at home, and it's taking up a corner in the room that is needed for a second desk. Basically the options were to sell it or to put it in storage in the garage for the foreseeable future. I'd rather someone was getting use out of it.

I've spent well over £300 getting it restored to its former glory, and also have a custom made cover for it which is included in the sale.

Realistically I'd be looking £600 for it.

Here's a link to someone selling theirs for £2k

https://themusiclocker.co.uk/shop/vintage-1975-1970s-orange-hustler-125-reverb-twin-amplifier-combo/

Pictures:

https://imgur.com/TOlLJIX

https://imgur.com/1fSyrNx

https://imgur.com/LkG1s5D

https://imgur.com/XKdqhfE

https://imgur.com/8ShE3zX

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Lovely. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • too far for me to come and get it :(
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    Happy to deliver it to Belfast or Larne ferry terminals!

Also if anyone wants to arrange a courier I can look into that too, though packed weight is likely to be 50kg+
    Bump.
    I'd also consider trades for something smaller/lighter
    Bump. Had a few local trade offers but nothing really up my street
    Bump. Incoming new baby day means I really won't have space for this. Prepared to entertain silly cash offers, or trades for something much smaller
  • yorkioyorkio Frets: 173
    Did you get my message?
    Replied
    edited March 2019
    Ok, I've looked into it and I'm pretty sure I can offer postage on this. It'll cost around £50-60.

£480 posted ONO!
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    edited July 2020
    What a lovely amp. Calling out to me, alas I need to sell some things.
    edited March 2019
    Had been sold but buyer changed their mind this morning.

All boxed up and ready to go

£450 posted, £400 local collection

There is another one for sale in the UK, a head only version from 1977, which is going for £1900 on reverb.com

If I unbox it again or reorganise my study in the meantime and find space for it, then it'll be staying and withdrawn from sale (the study will be reorganised for an incoming new baby day sometime in the next couple of weeks)
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    I read that these were darker than a Twin, is that right?
  • yorkioyorkio Frets: 173
    Did you have any further thoughts about a swap for my Torres/Vyse Boxer Plus?
    My wife walked in on the boxed amp and said "you're not selling that are you?", and pointed out that moving a bookshelf would leave plenty of space for it, so it's now staying for good
    Right, back up for sale. 
    We're doing a house renovation and it's made me properly think about what I use and what I don't, and while lovely this amp is just too loud and heavy for me.

£600 ONO, I've seen them for 2 grand on Reverb etc but realistically I can't post it from Northern Ireland (though happy for a buyer to arrange collection by their own courier).

• parker_knollparker_knoll Frets: 85
    edited February 2021
    you don't want to make any price judgments from the Music Locker - that guy just trebles everything. Knackered old speaker cabs for £600 that you can pick up for less than a ton all over the place. Not sure exactly what his business strategy is or whether it works or not. I have a slight suspicion it might be a resurrection of Music Ground but I don't want to libel anyone
  • you don't want to make any price judgments from the Music Locker - that guy just trebles everything. Knackered old speaker cabs for £600 that you can pick up for less than a ton all over the place. Not sure exactly what his business strategy is or whether it works or not. I have a slight suspicion it might be a resurrection of Music Ground but I don't to libel anyone
    Those guys are not linked to Music Ground. Asking prices are very optimistic for some stuff though I agree. Music Ground / Justin is now 'Denmark Street Guitars'.
    On hold for @Bygone_Tones ;
  • you don't want to make any price judgments from the Music Locker - that guy just trebles everything. Knackered old speaker cabs for £600 that you can pick up for less than a ton all over the place. Not sure exactly what his business strategy is or whether it works or not. I have a slight suspicion it might be a resurrection of Music Ground but I don't want to libel anyone
    Agreed, crazy prices. I once messaged him as I was trying to track down a jcm800 with the faded grill cloth. There was one forsale in Facebook marketplace for £600 and I’d already spoken to the owner. Anyway the guy from music locker says his mate has one he can sell me, he sends me through the same pictures as the Facebook advert but tries to sell me it for £950 lol 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom