The Effects order debate.

What's Hot
Bluetonic73Bluetonic73 Frets: 60
After an epic first post and not selling my pedals :-) I've decided to tidy up the board and nail it all down anyway. I'd like to ask some advice on the order the pedals should run in. I'm aware this can cause some debate, and much online contradicts itself?? The list of pedals is as follows, Boss Tu3, JD Wah, boss rc 3 looper, line 6 dl4, line 6 mm, hi tone blues o/d, Ibanez ts9, dr tone delay and boss tremolo. Any advice of order would be great fully received. Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Pedals should always be chained in alphabetical order.  To be honest it sounds like crap but helps calm my OCD.

Personally I would go -

1. Tuner
    2. Wah
    3. hi tone blues o/d, Ibanez ts9 (Whichever you like)
    4. Line 6 MM
    5. Tremolo
    6. Dr Tone & DL4 (Again whichever way you like)
    7. Looper

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    edited April 2014

Pedals should always be chained in alphabetical order.  To be honest it sounds like crap but helps calm my OCD.

Personally I would go -

1. Tuner
    2. Wah
    3. hi tone blues o/d, Ibanez ts9 (Whichever you like)
    4. Line 6 MM
    5. Tremolo
    6. Dr Tone & DL4 (Again whichever way you like)
    7. Looper

I must admit, that did make me chuckle...
  • Great stuff, thanks
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    I'd put the wah before the tuner if it sounds better like that - it sometimes does, try it - and otherwise agree with randomhandclaps... although if you don't get any overdrive from the amp, you may be better putting one of the dirt pedals (probably the Hi Tone) much later in the chain so you have the option of modulation, tremolo or delay either before or after dirt.

It's well worth experimenting as much as possible before finalising anything, especially with the dirt pedals where order makes the most difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks I'll try that, I just thought the tuner would be best direct from the guitar, also I'd heard somewhere that the line 6's prefer to be in a certain way in order to work correctly
  • The correct answer is:

Tuner
    Wah
    Chorus
    Distortion
    Distortion
    Distortion

Etc

Until you've ran out of distortion. Then you can hit the distortion channel of the amp (the other one is boring).

If you're feeling mental, put a delay in there somewhere.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bluetonic73 said:

Thanks I'll try that, I just thought the tuner would be best direct from the guitar, also I'd heard somewhere that the line 6's prefer to be in a certain way in order to work correctly
    The tuner is definitely best before modulation, although they work fine after dirt pedals and can be useful to mute very noisy ones - but this one is buffered, which can change the sound of the wah if you put the tuner first. Try it both ways - you might prefer one way or the other.

I actually have my TU-2 as the last pedal before the amp - with all the modulation in the FX loop - on my main board... it just sounds best like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

the correct order is

guitar-pedal-pedal-pedal (etc) - amp

and in the fx loop

amp send-pedal-pedal (etc)- amp return

It really doesn't matter what goes where*, other than drive/distortion should not go in the amps fx loop, it could cause damage.

*so long as it sounds good

For the record, on my big home board I have chorus/phase/flange before my drive pedals, and delay in the FX loop

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    I always put my effects after my guitar before the amp.

:P

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Tuner last is interesting. No good if you check it every 5 minutes like I do as you might not be presenting the clearest signal to it if the other pedals are on but I've read it described as the best place so you can use it as a trouble shooter for gigging. So, if you lose sound turn the tuner on to see if a signal is still coming through your pedals. If yes then its the amp, or lead out ,at fault and if no you can check guitar, pedals, leads in turn using the tuner to check what is/ not producing a signal.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    The tuner works fine if other pedals are on before it if they're not modulation. As long as it gets a note frequency it doesn't matter if it's distorted/wah'ed/EQ'd etc. (Although a Polytune might not like distortion.)

I think the reason mine sounds good at the end of the front chain is that it's a good buffer for driving the cable to the amp.

• vizviz Frets: 10690

Pedals should always be chained in alphabetical order.  To be honest it sounds like crap but helps calm my OC D

you mean CDO don't you?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    viz;215759" said:
    randomhandclaps said:

Pedals should always be chained in alphabetical order.  To be honest it sounds like crap but helps calm my OC

D

you mean CDO don't you?
    I don't have OCD.

I have Joyo Ultimate Drive.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    With regard to pedal order, i like to have at some point...

Delay > reverb > delay

It helps to create some interesting sounds

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    There is only one correct order for effects ...

"Everything before everything else"

;)
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Tuner>Dirt>Modulation>Delay>Reverb

• pocuspocus Frets: 0
    d8m;216283" said:
    Tuner>Dirt>Modulation>Delay>Reverb
  • MazzaGMazzaG Frets: 82
    Must be other people here who prefer Wah after distortion no? :(
    MazzaG said:
    Must be other people here who prefer Wah after distortion no? :(
    Sometimes. I generally like wah after fuzz too.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    No right, no wrong... just opinion.

Experiment. Try odd stuff. Fuck shit up.

Unless you are chasing a particular (other person's) sound, do it your own way.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.