Probably the most challenging part of writing for me is writing baselines that a.) sound good and b.) that I can play.
I'm writing (or attempting to write) a ditty at the moment which is musically challenging rather than technically challenging for me - the guitar part sounds good but it uses a lot of arpeggiated chords with D as the root (Dsus2, Dm9, D7sus2 I think, with a CMaj and D+11 turnaround) and since I'm a music theory numpty (I get by but am by no means fluent) writing a baseline that fits has me stumped.
D works well over the Dsus2, F works well over the Dm9 but the D7sus2 wants to go to C which then makes it less interesting in the C and D+11 part as it has nothing to resolve to.
Is there anything else that might work (I've tried everything but nothing sounds satisfactory to me) or should I change the progression, maybe swap the D7sus2 for a C+9/E which kinda works but changes the feel of the progression.
This is a rough take on what I have so far (sans bass, of course) - let me know what y'all think:
Slap it on, Carlos!