Writing bass - ideas help needed :o[=]

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 585
edited November 28 in Making Music
Probably the most challenging part of writing for me is writing baselines that a.) sound good and b.) that I can play.

I'm writing (or attempting to write) a ditty at the moment which is musically challenging rather than technically challenging for me - the guitar part sounds good but it uses a lot of arpeggiated chords with D as the root (Dsus2, Dm9, D7sus2 I think, with a CMaj and D+11 turnaround) and since I'm a music theory numpty (I get by but am by no means fluent) writing a baseline that fits has me stumped.

D works well over the Dsus2, F works well over the Dm9 but the D7sus2 wants to go to C which then makes it less interesting in the C and D+11 part as it has nothing to resolve to.

Is there anything else that might work (I've tried everything but nothing sounds satisfactory to me) or should I change the progression, maybe swap the D7sus2 for a C+9/E which kinda works but changes the feel of the progression.

This is a rough take on what I have so far (sans bass, of course) - let me know what y'all think:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1294
    Unless the song has originated from a bass part (which mine usually do), I always use one of the following approaches:

1. What would Chris Squire play? 
    2. Can I get away with playing just one note?

Option 2 fits your track so far. If you feel the need to shift from the D, throw in a G where you think the C would go. From there just chuck in a few embellishments in response to the drum part. Tension and dynamics over flash, IMHO.

For the record, Option 1 is seldom an option. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HaychHaych Frets: 585
    I've been playing around with it for a couple of hours now and while I haven't nailed a bass track yet I have come to a couple of conclusions.

Firstly that a G will sit over the D7sus2 thing,  or whatever it is and secondly, that I think the bass needs to carry a melody.  

Unfortunately I'm about as good at writing melodies as I am at playing bass lol.

Thanks for your input though @dogload and in response to your suggestions I tend to think similar, only I usually ask what would Geddy Lee play :D
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1294
    Haych said:
    I've been playing around with it for a couple of hours now and while I haven't nailed a bass track yet I have come to a couple of conclusions.

Firstly that a G will sit over the D7sus2 thing,  or whatever it is and secondly, that I think the bass needs to carry a melody.  

Unfortunately I'm about as good at writing melodies as I am at playing bass lol.

Thanks for your input though @dogload and in response to your suggestions I tend to think similar, only I usually ask what would Geddy Lee play :D
    Haha, well I've always worked on the principle that I write the melody on bass and then hang some guitar noises on it, giving me as guitarist a lot less work to do :)

I find it harder to work up a decent bass part after the guitar is there. Sometimes though, the obvious works!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 17733
    I tend to start with drums and then follow the drum rhythm, especially the kick drum. I guess it depends on the style of music.

This guy has a good YouTube channel on bass ...

My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 3463
    Nothing wrong with the D, F, C idea. For the last twiddly bit, have the bass guitar either double or harmonise with the guitar notes.
    "It's no wonder the Pacific Ocean is blue."