Looking for a 1:1 Masterclass recomendation

What's Hot
Hi all,

wonder if you could please help me. About 5 - 6 years ago i went for a lesson with Rob Chapman for a three-hour lesson; this was absolutely brilliant and I got loads out of it. For my 40th birthday, my wife contacted Rob (in secret) and asked if he could do me another session, unfortunately as he's ever so busy now he no longer does these sessions. When she found this out she told me as she knew it would be something I really would have enjoyed.

Does anyone know or could recommend someone who does sessions similar to this? I'd prefer Northwest England as it's near where I live, but I'm willing to travel.

Thanks in advance

Andy
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10644
    edited November 2018
    Have you considered regular skype lessons? Eg fortnightly or monthly? I see Marshall Gill has just offered them, for example, and I know Jamie Humphries and I think Phil Hilborne do. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nickpnickp Frets: 182
    Jason Sidwell might.  I can ask if you wish.  maybe by skype?  He lives about 5 mins up the road from me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rick Graham used to teach, not sure if he still does. He’s in the North West. What style are you looking for?
  • Da7thSonDa7thSon Frets: 2
    edited December 2018
    Hi Guys,

Skype doesnt work for me as i have a (soon to be) three year old, so getting an hour quiet time in the house is not really possible hence why getting 2 - 3 hours out of the house works for me best.

I play a range of styles (blues, funk, soul, Motown, rock, metal etc) so its all about improving technique as a whole.  I can and have been able to read music now for over 30 years, understand music theory etc.

thanks

Andy
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    That’s a shame as I was going to suggest a Carol Kaye Skype lesson

https://shop.carolkaye.com/product/skype-guitar-or-bass-private-lesson/
  • Yeah, I'm struggling to find someone that still does face to face as everyone seems to be moving to a skype type model. I thought i   found someone, but after trying to arrange a date with them, I've not heard back from them now in over a month  
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Find a competent local teacher.

'Name' guitarists are all well and good but you will get more out of a more regular consultation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I think Nick Johnston is doing a few masterclass lessons in January.. would be skype though.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    Not sure if he's doing lessons outside ICMP, but Martin Goulding has a great reputation as a teacher.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

@Clarky Would you be able to accommodate this chap, Paul?

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    DLM said:

@Clarky Would you be able to accommodate this chap, Paul?

sure I can do this.. I'm in Berkshire though which is pretty far..
    I do half and full day 1-2-1 sessions

I like to be able to see the student playing up close, so I can look at posture and technique in detail
    also, the student would be playing through my rig, I'd have a lesson prepped, and backing tracks / repertoire in Logic
    play every note as if it were your first
  • BebopperBebopper Frets: 129
    You should reach out to John Wheatcroft in Liverpool. Lovely guy and monster musician. Writes for Guitar Techniques and teaches at some of the music colleges down in London during the week. Have never heard him play any metal but I don't think there's much he can't nail on the guitar.
    http://johnwheatcroftguitar.com

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Bebopper said:
    You should reach out to John Wheatcroft in Liverpool. Lovely guy and monster musician. Writes for Guitar Techniques and teaches at some of the music colleges down in London during the week. Have never heard him play any metal but I don't think there's much he can't nail on the guitar.

I went to his class when the IGF thing was in Cheltenham a few years ago - can second all the above. He's more on the jazzier side of things but can definitely do all of the metal licks you'd ever want to learn. He's particularly good at explaining all of the theory as well, and making it interesting. Musically he doesn't have the same tastes as I do, but he was a fantastic teacher and I found it all fascinating; I'm still using some of the stuff years later  =)
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    Bebopper said:

I went to his class when the IGF thing was in Cheltenham a few years ago - can second all the above. He's more on the jazzier side of things but can definitely do all of the metal licks you'd ever want to learn. He's particularly good at explaining all of the theory as well, and making it interesting. Musically he doesn't have the same tastes as I do, but he was a fantastic teacher and I found it all fascinating; I'm still using some of the stuff years later  =)
    And he’s a bloody lovely bloke, and you can use him like a mirror. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • What kind of stuff are you trying to learn?