Sterling By Musicman AX40 Conversion

Recent acquisition. In my opinion, hamstrung by cheap electronics and the lack of a tone control. Now, stripped out and drilled.

https://i.imgur.com/IEpenvK.jpg?1
Okay. Get those Eddie Van Sheeran jokes out of your system now, please.  =)

https://i.imgur.com/HweAZCo.jpg?1
Compact and bijou, Mostyn. 

Going active. Hybrid wiring again. Quick connectors in the pickup cavities. Hard wired at the selector switch and onward to the volume pot. Quick connectors again for the second pot and from there to the output jack. This way, the pickups and the second pot can be changed at any time. 

Seymour Duncan Live Wire Classic II humbuckers usually work well with a treble roll off pot. EMGs might go better with a booster device. A Duncan Blackouts For Metal would need a push-pull mode switch for loud and even louder.
You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited November 2018
    All wired up for first test.

Basic sounds from Duncan Live Wire Classic II humbucker pair spot on for Old Fart Rock. 

EMG VLPF active treble roll off tone control not as effective as hoped for. (Maybe, this is because the strings are brand spanking new?) Next experiments will be an EMG Passive Tone control and, then, an EMG-SPC midrange booster. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    EMG solderless 25k Passive Tone control does even less than the VLPF. (Ashtray on a motorcycle syndrome!)

EMG-SPC smooths things out rather nicely and increases overall output, making the LWC2 humbuckers sound like Blackouts.

In my opinion, a simple output booster device would bring no advantage that could not be achieved by turning an amp up louder and, then, using the guitar's volume control to back things off a little. 

A kill switch might be fun ... for about two minutes. 

Unless I can think of something better, the second pot in this guitar is going to be an EMG-SPC.