Hoverboards?

What's Hot
So now she wants a hoverboard! I have told her that Santa needs his list asap and shes firm about a board. Does anyone have any experience with them?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 2959
    edited November 2018
    Yes, as a bloke who's probably not a kid anymore and long since lost his sense of balance, you will indeed fall off it when you inevitably try and 'give it a go'.

Advice: Put a First Aid kit and bandages on your own Santa's list
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
    This is one of those products that I just can't grasp the idea of.  A motorised plank that you stand on and it moves you along the pavement slower than your own legs could take you ?

A board that actually hovered I could understand, but these are just like a shit skateboard.  I saw a teenager going along the street on one the other day and he looked ridiculous.  He may as well have had a sign on his back that said "I'm SO lazy, I can't be arsed to use my own feet".

If she's hell-bent on it, you could always just upgrade her immediately to a mobility scooter.  :-)
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Emp_Fab said:
    This is one of those products that I just can't grasp the idea of.  A motorised plank that you stand on and it moves you along the pavement slower than your own legs could take you ?

A board that actually hovered I could understand, but these are just like a shit skateboard.  I saw a teenager going along the street on one the other day and he looked ridiculous.  He may as well have had a sign on his back that said "I'm SO lazy, I can't be arsed to use my own feet".

If she's hell-bent on it, you could always just upgrade her immediately to a mobility scooter.  :-)
    Is there actually anything that you *do* like?
    7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:

Complaining
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Still illegal to use hoverboards on either the pavement or road, bear in mind. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290
    Emp_Fab said:

Pugs

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359
    Still illegal to use hoverboards on either the pavement or road, bear in mind. 
    A law passed in the late 1800's , yes they are.

Emp_Fab said:

They do between 10 and 15 mph at full pelt, which is faster then jogging speed, and look to be really good fun, especially the all terrain ones. Probably not huge fun on a crowded city street.

The problem is choice and price, from what ive read 10 inch wheels are the way to go , safety certs are a must, proper batteries and not cheap rubbish ones, and Segway are not the same company as Swegway!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    She'll have trouble playing Roblox on it.
    Lol, I know, to be fair her screen time is getting a bit excessive, I thought a lappy that would teach her to use computers constructively would be a good thing, perhaps this hoverboard might help remove some screen time , and some furniture legs!
    I bought this one, should arrive in a few days so Ill report back with how it fairs out when it gets here.
    https://www.swegway-pro.co.uk/product/black-10-inch-hoverboard-sale-uk/

Interestingly I was chatting live to the seller at 9pm tonight and they seem very professional and were happy to answer my questions. I checked their eBay page and they have a shop up in Leeds somewhere so hopefully not some kid selling imported Chinese stuff from his bedroom.

• DominicDominic Frets: 16013
    I thought a overboard was the things attached to jet-skis that use a water jet to lift you 4m above the water
    they look great fun
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Why do people call them hoverboards? They don't hover
  • It's dissapointing the back to the future II hoverboard has yet to become reality. Now that would be a cool xmas present.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I bet they go faster on laminate flooring....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    edited November 2018
    I bought #2 son this one last Christmas
    It's seems decent quality. Definitely does what it says on the tin and has been trouble free.
    Edit: oops just seen you've already bought one. Ignore me.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    It's dissapointing the back to the future II hoverboard has yet to become reality. Now that would be a cool xmas present.
    They are trying.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Still illegal to use hoverboards on either the pavement or road, bear in mind. 
    Honestly it isn't a bad thing.
    They are legal here on footpaths, along with electric scooters and electric unicycles but you cannot ride them on the road (although I see people doing that too, despite the fine being thousands of dollars).

The footpaths are a treacherous place to be- there have been several instances riders being given prison/detention sentences due to dangerous riding (Such as this).
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
    CHRISB50 said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Pugs
    and complaining.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    I think there is a fine line between complaining and moaning, although one is a static , constructive criticism, and the other is a slippery slope all the way down to arseville.