Any MTB-ers remember Missy Giove?

littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4974
edited November 2018 in Off Topic
For those that don't, Melissa "Missy" Giove pretty much invented the modern way of downhill racing back in the day. Not racing on the limit, ignoring the limit and just smashing it, and herself. 2 time World Champion and multiple World Cups, and raced with a dessicated ex-pet pirahnna around her neck!

I remember watching her race and it was worlds apart from any of her contemporaries, untouchable at her prime.

Well, her life took an interesting turn or two! And Lance thinks he had a wild ride?

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Missy The Missile!

Yes, I read that story a couple of months ago.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4974
    edited November 2018
    Missy The Missile!

It's both inspiring and sad I think. And true of so many niche sports, how you can at the pinnacle and earning good money and then an injury later and you're yesterday's news.

Missy made me realise I could ride an MTB like a BMX and jump them, and ride halfpipes on them (much to the bemusement of the CrankWerx lads!).

One of my very few idols. Good to see she seems to have made it through the harsher times (hopefully), very sad to see she now has to now say goodbye to her wife like that.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Never heard of her tbh, but I’m glad that I watched the video.  Very sad.
  • Missy The Missile!

It's both inspiring and sad I think. And true of so many niche sports, how you can at the pinnacle and earning good money and then an injury later and you're yesterday's news.

It brings to mind the story of Chris Lewis. To go from Test cricketer to shunned by people in the game for reporting illegal approaches by a bookmaker and treated poorly to jail time for cocaine smuggling is one hell of a tale. 

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/20626839/to-make-sure-story-better-ending

• m_cm_c Frets: 1232
    Missy is a legend, and just one of some very colourful characters who dominated the sport then.