Marshall branded EL34s

What's Hot
Anyone used Marshall branded EL34s? Any good?

they're on a good deal right now and my vintage Mullards are finally crapping out after 12 years. They came in the amp and no way I can tolerate the expense or the crapshoot of scoring some more Mullards. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Modern EL34s are a hit or miss affair sadly.....

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    Have a chat with Karltone
  • HHwarner said:
    Have a chat with Karltone
    about whether Marshall branded valves are good?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    edited November 2018
    No but you will be guaranteed a decent matched set. I had a marshall branded set and they were not that well matched ;-)
  • Modern EL34s are a hit or miss affair sadly.....
    Very true - I've mostly gone KT77 because of this. Karltone seem good as a supplier though - there does seem to be some burn in :)
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    HHwarner said:
    No but you will be guaranteed a decent matched set. I had a marshall branded set and they were not that well matched ;-)
    +1. they weren't garbage, just characterless. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Depends who made them - Marshall have used many different suppliers over the years... possibly whatever they can get cheapest.

Buy tested and matched branded valves from a good vendor like Karltone and you know what you're getting, and a warranty.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What was attracting me was that they were £8.50 each
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What was attracting me was that they were £8.50 each
    You can try them, but expect to find a reason why the seller isn’t asking for more...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    What was attracting me was that they were £8.50 each
    You can try them, but expect to find a reason why the seller isn’t asking for more...
    this is retail. They're on offer at Watford Valves. Cheers all for advice. 
    parker_knoll said:

this is retail. They're on offer at Watford Valves. 
    Interesting... given that Marshall still use EL34s in their amps, why didn't they use them or sell them themselves?

• Just an update: I bought a set of these and they seem to be Shuagangs based on visual inspection. I'll test them this eve. 
  • ICBM said:
    parker_knoll said:

this is retail. They're on offer at Watford Valves. 
    Interesting... given that Marshall still use EL34s in their amps, why didn't they use them or sell them themselves?
    they might have changed supplier or overstocked. Whatever way, someone's got their hands on a job lot of Marshall branded valves. 
  • I have a new pair in my jcm800 which I assume are Marshall branded Chinese el34s . I've tried different brands and usually go for NOS valves but for some reason they just had a certain bite that suited the amp so I left them in. The Marshall branded ecc83s sounded rubbish so I swapped them for some old mullard and brimars.
  • The Shuagang EL34Bs are actually very good. I've been running them in a '60s Laney and they're the only modern valve that can handle the power and sound grand. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6682
    Sorry to hijack this thread but on a tangential subject I wanted to try some EL34s in my Marshall Astoria that currently has Gold Lion KT66s in it. Would these ones on offer in the OP be a decent enough set to test it out with? And what is the difference between an EL34 and an EL34b?

Many thanks. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Larger bottle, higher power. I'll tell you what they're like next week,  but if they're Shuagangs they're more than adequate 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6682
    Cheers 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • boz_hboz_h Frets: 53
    I have a an bit of an issue with these valves in a THD Bivalve, they can only run on the low voltage setting (around 330 volt).  If I use them on hi voltage (470 ) the HT fuse blows.  Derrick at Watford Valves was really helpful and sent me a replacement set (still had the same issue) a set of Harma EL34s (which worked fine on Hi voltage) and a big box of 5 amp fuses.  He seems to to think its because they are running in Class A (ish) mode and cannot handle the extra stress.  They sound decent enough, but I am not convinced of their robustness. 
    boz_h said:
    I have a an bit of an issue with these valves in a THD Bivalve, they can only run on the low voltage setting (around 330 volt).  If I use them on hi voltage (470 ) the HT fuse blows.  Derrick at Watford Valves was really helpful and sent me a replacement set (still had the same issue) a set of Harma EL34s (which worked fine on Hi voltage) and a big box of 5 amp fuses.  He seems to to think its because they are running in Class A (ish) mode and cannot handle the extra stress.  They sound decent enough, but I am not convinced of their robustness. 
    I think we’ve just found out why Marshall didn’t want them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom