Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Martial Arts

What's Hot
Morning all,

I've been looking into starting martial arts again (last did it 18 years ago - Ju Jitsu at uni). Tried judo last night, and while it was good fun (and holy hell am I sore today!), it didn't seem to have much practical application if the worst came to the worst (ie. You aren't allowed wrist or leg locks etc), so it's more competition based.

I'm after a martial art that firstly suits my size (6ft 5, 18 stone) and secondly provides a genuine self defense aspect (i.e. Not just performing kata all the time with no sparring).

I'm naturally not a violent bloke, so something 'reactionary' would be good. BJJ seems too focused on tackling larger opponents, so that's out...

Anyone have any suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• With your size and weight, Boxing or Muay Thai. I'm sure at that height and weight, if you hit me with good right hand all I would want to do is have a good lie down and reconsider my options. : >
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    6ft 5” and 18 stone to me is someone you run away from, not fight with!

MMA would be a good choice surely?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Venusian aikido seemed to work very well for Dr Who in the Pertwee era. He could immobilise someone rather quickly with two fingers.
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    My old kickboxing trainer used to also do pure self defence classes.  So I would have thought any of the Kickboxing / MMA derivatives or Muay Thai would suit.

I never got on with the more traditional Karate, Tae Kwan Do, Judo styles personally. Nothing against them I just enjoyed the more relaxed and less form dependant ones.   
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    With your size and weight you might struggle to find willing sparring partners.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I would say judo is probably the most practical from a self defense point of view to be honest, it gives you control over a person regardless of size and allows you to put them on the floor very easily, which is least dangerous place a person can be.

There's a reason a lot of countries have police forces trained in judo, also a lot of real door security staff will be judo trained.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308

To defend in a street fight I'd choose Krav Maga I think.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

CHRISB50 said:

The reality of it is best defense would to be to train in 800m running, as getting away is always the best form of defense. 

That's why I go back to judo being the best option, you could have a huge punch, a deadly wrist lock or the reflexes of a cat, truth is once someone is within striking/stabbing distance there's not enough room to use most techniques correctly and a "lucky blow puts you in the floor and likely to get hurt. Being able to dump that person on the floor, kick them in the balls and get out of there will leave you much more chance of being unharmed.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2383
    underdog said:
    CHRISB50 said:

The reality of it is best defense would to be to train in 800m running, as getting away is always the best form of defense. 

That's why I go back to judo being the best option, you could have a huge punch, a deadly wrist lock or the reflexes of a cat, truth is once someone is within striking/stabbing distance there's not enough room to use most techniques correctly and a "lucky blow puts you in the floor and likely to get hurt. Being able to dump that person on the floor, kick them in the balls and get out of there will leave you much more chance of being unharmed.
    My old Ju Jitsu sensei always used to say, the best defense was decent cardio, and to leg it.

I watched a YouTube clip where a guy compared judo vs BJJ, and he summarised it -

- judo focuses on standing form
    - BJJ focuses on groundwork
    - 90% of all fights end up on the ground
    - 100% of all fights start standing up 

Quite a useful perspective I think.

Have messaged a local MMA trainer as well. Will see what he says - not into the hardcore roid rage training, so hopefully it's not like that...!

Cheers all.
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    edited November 2018
    You like Japanese Budo? Try Shotokan Karate 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    whichever, Martial Arts is no near as lethal as Marital Arts
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I would say judo is probably the most practical from a self defense point of view to be honest, it gives you control over a person regardless of size and allows you to put them on the floor very easily, which is least dangerous place a person can be.

There's a reason a lot of countries have police forces trained in judo, also a lot of real door security staff will be judo trained.
    Came here to say similar to this.

Also you have the advantage of fighting against someone rather that practising with a compliant partner.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    underdog said:

Came here to say similar to this.

Also you have the advantage of fighting against someone rather that practising with a compliant partner.
    There was a lot of sparring last night which was good - but I remember thinking (on one of the many times I was pinned on the matt) that I would try to apply a wrist lock, or go for the face.... None of which is 'allowed' in judo.

Fully understand why, just didn't seem practical in a real world sense.
    I think MMA is brilliant and Jujitsu is awesome but for a street fight I'd want to spend as little time on the floor as possible. No armbar is going to prevent the blokes mate kicking you in the head while you're down.

For an honest to god street fight, get the guy on floor while you remati standing if possible, hit him hard somewhere soft and painful, get ready to run or protect yourself against another threat. I'd not wanna be rolling around trying to choke someone out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd go for aikido, its self defence only, strikes are taught only so that you can attack for practice. Weapons work is a core element (knife, staff, sword), multiple attackers is also a fairly core element in most styles.You can also keep it very physical and technical and focus on throwing using locks, or get into the more spiritual side (and beleive me when yu ahve been either thrown or throw someone without touching them its a pretty WTF moment).

Ive done judo in the past and I think its fine for self defence, arm locks and strangles are legal although wrist locks are not but in reality just burying someone in the floor is going to immobilise most people. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    I spent a few years doing something called Defence lab. Founded by a guy who did Jeet Kune Do with Bob Breen for many years, aswell as lots of other styles. He's basically taken lots from different genres of martial arts and put them together. 
    It's more in the style of Krav Maga than 'traditional' martial arts, you spend a lot of time punching, kicking and defending, lots of multiple attacker scenarios but it's all done in quite a realistic way. There is groundwork in there too, takedowns, holds, that kind of stuff. 
    I really enjoyed it, and it really boosted my confidence. Basically its a good system designed to help you get out trouble and cause a bit of damage on the way if you have to. My lad has been doing it too, and watching him spar with the instructor is awe inspiring - It has definitely helped him become a very confident young lad. 
    I just found a local Taijitsu club that sounds pretty good - focuses on striking, takedowns and throws, and weapon defence.

Could be interesting!
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    FarleyUK said:
    Morning all,

I've been looking into starting martial arts again (last did it 18 years ago - Ju Jitsu at uni). Tried judo last night, and while it was good fun (and holy hell am I sore today!), it didn't seem to have much practical application if the worst came to the worst (ie. You aren't allowed wrist or leg locks etc), so it's more competition based.

I'm after a martial art that firstly suits my size (6ft 5, 18 stone) and secondly provides a genuine self defense aspect (i.e. Not just performing kata all the time with no sparring).

I'm naturally not a violent bloke, so something 'reactionary' would be good. BJJ seems too focused on tackling larger opponents, so that's out...

Anyone have any suggestions?
    6ft5 and 18stone! . Good Morning.
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    and beleive me when yu ahve been either thrown or throw someone without touching them its a pretty WTF moment
    What?

With no contact at all?
    Just heard back from a MMA class here too - I'd assumed they would teach mixed moves, but it sounds like it's just a literal fight club. They said you need to have separate classes in BJJ and kickboxing.... Which the gym run as well.

Er, no ta.