New Fender American Performer series?

What's Hot
StefBStefB Frets: 509
edited November 30 in Guitar

The new name for the erstwhile American Specials, different pickups seem to be the only difference.

And, as usual, available in stores before they are announced by the big F - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-American-Performer-Stratocaster-HSS-Satin-Surf-Green-Maple-NEW/312346075034?hash=item48b946df9a:g:RSkAAOSwujJcAS23

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 414
    edited November 30
    I have the 'old' American special in 'shiny' surf green. I don't like the satin look
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • rprrpr Frets: 157
    There's a whole bunch of them including Jazzmasters, mustangs n stuff - https://www.musicradar.com/news/fender-launches-american-performer-series-with-9-new-guitars-and-basses

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 3002
    The Jazzmaster is hideous! Why that trem??
    How much does it weigh? & Does it play like butter?

You can now read my insane guitar ramblings daily here http://www.gearnews.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • StefBStefB Frets: 509
    rpr said:
    There's a whole bunch of them including Jazzmasters, mustangs n stuff - https://www.musicradar.com/news/fender-launches-american-performer-series-with-9-new-guitars-and-basses

They look great, some real functionality updates included rather than just rehashing the Highway One/Special range one more time. 

I can see the Jazzmaster shifting a few units with that spec. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 4163
    edited December 3
    stonevibe said:
    The Jazzmaster is hideous! Why that trem??
    More range than the usual Jazzmaster/Jaguar trem? I agree it looks wrong but I suspect that it's an 'easier' trem for lots of folks.
    It might look like I'm listening to you, but in my head I'm playing my guitar.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1476
    Should be in the shops now! 
    This is not an official response. 

ukqueries@fender.com 

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 411
    Modern C necks - ergh!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 279
    edited December 3
    Mustang and teles look decent assuming these new pickups sound good!! But Strat trem on a JM??? And they had a lake placid blue one and everything....
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 212
    Would quite like one of those Mustangs methinks. 
  • Modern C necks - ergh!!
    +1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • The satin finishes are a backwards step. And I'd be surprised if the Strat's and Tele's could be significantly improved upon - the American Specials got so much right at their price point, which is probably why they have been 'improved' - I suspect they took away too much business from models higher up the range - I'd better get one of the Sherwood Green or Lake Placid Blue Tele's whilst I still can!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 1943
    Oh dear
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1398
    Yay! More Jazzmasters for people who don't like Jazzmasters.

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 1111
    Still confusing naming scheme but I suppose it's less confusing than the "American Special" being the least special of the American-made range
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 1111
    I like that they have the slotted style tuners.

Also interesting that they've included a neck-on switch on the Strat but they've used a push-pull which I don't think is a great choice for a Strat style knob, kind of hard to grip. The S1 switch is so much better, or even a push-push to save money.
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 93
    Mustang looks good.

Jazzmaster looks pants.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1476
    edited December 4
    thegummy said:
    Still confusing naming scheme but I suppose it's less confusing than the "American Special" being the least special of the American-made range
    It’s been changed to make more sense. The core ranges go like this:

Professional 
    Performer
    Player

a bit more representative of a guitar player’s journey. 

This is not an official response. 

ukqueries@fender.com 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    If the prices I'm seeing are correct then these are overpriced in my opinion. As much as I'm all for the mustang, £999 for a watered down version of it with no case is bonkers imo.

£1049 for a fake Jazzmaster too, wow.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 4065
    Gerz6558 said:
    If the prices I'm seeing are correct then these are overpriced in my opinion. As much as I'm all for the mustang, £999 for a watered down version of it with no case is bonkers imo.

£1049 for a fake Jazzmaster too, wow.
    Street prices might be lower - especially 6 months down the line when everyone has them in stock.

The Mustang bass fixes the major flaw with the Mexican made Mustang as it has a Jazz style control layout so you can blend the pickups together.  Not sure I want to pay that much extra for it though.
    crunchman said:

Street prices might be lower - especially 6 months down the line when everyone has them in stock.

The Mustang bass fixes the major flaw with the Mexican made Mustang as it has a Jazz style control layout so you can blend the pickups together.  Not sure I want to pay that much extra for it though.
    I hope you're right for the sake of people seriously interested.  I see the outgoing American Specials are in the £750-£850 range?  A few people stateside have claimed they are seeing an $100 increase on the incoming performer series, which probably does sit them towards a grand over here.  We'll have to wait and see.

Say what you want about Gibson, but they have been banging out stripped down versions of their range way under a grand for years.  I don't see why Fender have to mark these up so high if the early prices are correct.

I'd give the mustang a go, £700-£750 tops.
  • rossirossi Frets: 481
    Mustang and teles look decent assuming these new pickups sound good!! But Strat trem on a JM??? And they had a lake placid blue one and everything....
    To be honest its sounds sensible .Everyone and their  dog moans about the offsets trems and when Fender mod it oh gawd blimey wot a fuss and frolics.Modern C necks ..gawd will the world stop turning ....... 3.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 2614
    Modern C = Good, Colours = Good

Half Spaghetti and Bold Black Logos = Chin Scratch.

Jumbo Frets and Hideous CBS era Headstock = Not for me.
    Conformity is the new Rebellion.
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 212
    Hey @MattFGBI , don't suppose you know what the routing on the Mustang is like do you? Swimming pool would be nice. 
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 933
    MattFGBI said:
    thegummy said:

Professional 
    Performer
    Player

I can understand why Fender want to move away from the same names Gibson use, but I do prefer the model names to be about the guitar's position in the range (e.g. special, standard, custom), rather than the player's supposed rank. It's not as though you need to be in a band to own a 'Performer' or have a contract to play a 'Professional'. Will Custom shop become 'Recording Artist', 'Superstar' or perhaps, sticking to the 'P' theme, 'Prima Donna'?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 9753
    Bigsby said:
    MattFGBI said:
    thegummy said:

Professional 
    Performer
    Player

I can understand why Fender want to move away from the same names Gibson use, but I do prefer the model names to be about the guitar's position in the range (e.g. special, standard, custom), rather than the player's supposed rank. It's not as though you need to be in a band to own a 'Performer' or have a contract to play a 'Professional'. Will Custom shop become 'Recording Artist', 'Superstar' or perhaps, sticking to the 'P' theme, 'Prima Donna'?
    Periodontist?? :D 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • rprrpr Frets: 157
    rossi said:
    To be honest its sounds sensible .Everyone and their  dog moans about the offsets trems and when Fender mod it oh gawd blimey wot a fuss and frolics.Modern C necks ..gawd will the world stop turning ....... 3.
    I don't know about everyone.  Ask Johnny Marr and he will tell you it's the best trem Fender have ever made.

I think it's a perception rather than a fact that is rolled out a few times a year, when it's time for the usual guitar publications to copy and paste what they said the previous years.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 9753
    I'm ok with the modern C these days (much better than the generic "Asian D" you get on so many MIC/MIK/MIJ Les Pauls). The JM trem is a shame, but I can understand why Fender want to have something JM shaped that doesn't have the JM trem, as that obviously puts some people off. I'd have done that with a fixed JM-type plate and fixed Mustang bridge or TOM, myself, but I'm clearly not the target buyer as a big fan of proper old-school JMs.  

I'm ok with the modern C these days (much better than the generic "Asian D" you get on so many MIC/MIK/MIJ Les Pauls). The JM trem is a shame, but I can understand why Fender want to have something JM shaped that doesn't have the JM trem, as that obviously puts some people off. I'd have done that with a fixed JM-type plate and fixed Mustang bridge or TOM, myself, but I'm clearly not the target buyer as a big fan of proper old-school JMs.  

I think Fender want a piece of the G&L Doheny pie with this JM.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 5690
    Love the Trem on offsets, it’s what makes them IMO, I’m not a traditionalist with any other aspect. 
    Not against the Strat Trem on a JM but it leaves too much unused space below the Trem.

Not a fan of the satin in the custom colours, not sure it works.