Cheap mans ES 335/355

What's Hot

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4133
    Presumably a bog-standard Epi Dot doesn't do it for you then?

I've played some Epi Dots with very nice necks. (played some crap ones too, mind, but that was because of poor setups - if you're buying from a bricks-and-mortar shop there's no excuse for them not to give it a once-over for you). Stock pickups were a bit bland, but a further £100 would get you a really nice set from Oil City. If it was me I'd need to pay someone a few quid to install them as I suspect I would go completely insane.  

I had an Ibanez AS73 for a while - the setup and finish was really nice, but the neck was very slim and it just seemed to flex too much. Might have been a one-off. 

That's pretty much been my experience too, apart from the Epi's have (almost) all had D profiles that I don't particularly like. Perfectly usable guitars though, especially with a few easy mods.

After seeing that HB above though, that's got to be hard to beat. I'm guessing it has a maple neck rather than the Epi's mahogany, but that should at least get in the right ballpark for feel and sound... and it's £119!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Yeah at £120 you could spend another £120 on it and it's still cost peanuts for what should be a really giggable guitar.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Harley Benton guitars are made in China by the manufacturer Saein, which produces guitars for IbanezEpiphone, and Peavey

So you might not be too far off. It amazes me they can actually make a semi guitar paint it ship it then make a profit on it for £120 quid.

After all the original was a plywood guitar so decent set of pickups and a setup you will be laughing. If you hate it send it back you have 30 days almost tempts me to try one as a doner for the boxes of parts I have laying around :-)

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    i can't bring myself to buy a £120 guitar and expect it to be playable..
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    No harm taking a chance on it when it's got free returns too. May as well buy some upgrades at the same time and save on shipping ;)
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Get a Chibston
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    No harm taking a chance on it when it's got free returns too. May as well buy some upgrades at the same time and save on shipping ;)
    I'm too lazy to go through the hassle of shipping it back
    I'm very tempted by one of those HB semis, I had a nice Epi Sheraton many moons ago with some p90s in it, never replaced it. A black one with some second hand or mass production aftermarket pickups in, a rewire and a setup and it could be a decent guitar at not much cash.
    Si_;216339" said:
    i can't bring myself to buy a £120 guitar and expect it to be playable..
    Why not? The Epi LP juniors 57 reissues were £125 new (they fetch around £250 on eBay) they were amazing. Many Yamaha guitars, squiers etc all come in at around that price and are often at least good and sometimes better than that.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    edited April 2014
    This is a clip of me playing the AS120 this afternoon. Pretty aimless noodling but I think it sounds good! 

• NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    57Deluxe said:
    Here: Just £119

Is cheap and unknown as to how it will stand up to the job you want of it BUT Thomann give you the chance to try it and will send a courier to come and collect it and full refund you  if it is not what you want - no Qs aked.

I'll be getting one of those very soon if the two Tele's that will arrive next week are even remotely good.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'd be really interested in picking one of those up and comparing it alongside this Chibson, could be fun.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    I think that would make a very interesting comparison, especially given the open and objective way you approached the whole Chibson thing (both the guitar and the thread management = kudos), @guitargeek62   :)

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    The old jap Washurn HB35's were very good guitars if you can find one
    edited April 2014
    If people buy a couple of the guitars I'll list tomorrow I'll order one next week after I get the Teles :p I'll also try and do a video but Two Month old Thomas is taking the majority of my time!
    I think that would make a very interesting comparison, especially given the open and objective way you approached the whole Chibson thing (both the guitar and the thread management = kudos), @guitargeek62   :)
    I'll see how next month goes, about to move up to London so pennies are sparse currently. :)
  • Loobs;216148" said:
    Super 58 Alnico V pickups. Sound great. 

Cheesy tuners though. Replace with Grovers and yr golden. 
    Oh wow, that's a nice looking guitar...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I obviously want to buy the HB as a entirely altruistic gesture to help out the forum in the ongoing price vs quality/playability debate. 8-}
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well you and I are co-founders of the MR Mod-club iirc?! Surely we have to prove how good cheap guitars can be?! :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom