NAD - Marshall Origin 20C

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2218
edited November 2018 in Amps
I nipped into PMT in London after work yesterday because I was ampless, to pick up a few possible ideas, was mainly thinking Orange amps. Tried an OR15 head, which was good, but they sadly didn’t have the TH30 which I really wanted to try with a Jag.

About to leave the shop, realised I’d never given any Marshall amps a chance, and they had an Origin 20 combo in stock. Very impressed. Using a CS Jag, having been used to Fender cleans, Marshall cleans are a different experience, but I really like the grit on them, winding up the gain, still impressed, and it took dirt pedals really well: putting an OD3 in front of it: pure Hendrix. Reverb and delay sounded great in the FX loop. I thought I’d be having another ponder and getting back to them later, but I loved the amp’s simplicity and range of tones from just one channel. Then I saw that another shop were selling them for £364.... and (a bit grudgingly) PMT price-matched them. They knocked £195 off. I think for £364 this amp is an absolute steal for how good it sounds. So I walked out with one. I am ampless no more and very happy. Never thought I’d own a Marshall. Very glad I do now.

Now. Pedals....
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    Nice score.  I was watching the Johan Segaborn yootoob chanel earlier this week and they did a comparison of the Origin and DSL combos side by side.

Makes me think I need a third marshall in my life...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm tempted too!! I'd liKE to do a side by side with the origin 20, dsl20 and mini jubilee , IF i can find a shop that has all 3!!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Is it just me or does that Flying V sound awful?
  • What drives are folk using with theirs? 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    My Soul Food worked nicely as a boost, as did my TS9 clone and Digitech CM2. I'd say you're pretty well covered with any Klon or Tubescreamer based pedal! Also sounds great set as a clean amp, with MIAB pedals for higher gain tones - the Guvnor 2 sounds great with it. The only thing I didn't like it with was my fuzz war, but that's quite picky with amps as I've only ever got it sounding good with my Laney.

£364 is a bargain!
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    edited November 2018
    The trebly setting on the blend knob does sound intriguing I must admit, especially at £300 for the head so I wouldn't need to flog my cab then...
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Nnggg.... update....

I was in Anderton’s yesterday with my partner (she wanted to go for a while and has been nagging me to... she’s a keeper) and made the “mistake” of trying out an Orange TH30... REALLY liked it way prefer the cleans, the dirt channel is huge amounts of fun, my Chase Bliss Brothers will bridge the gap between the 2 channels beautifully if I keep it, the 7W setting is perfect for home use, the FX loop is better... and the TH30 is available for only £499.

Gaahhhh! I think this might be the quickest NAD U-turn in history.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm really intersted to know what you think of this amp.

The Marshall or the Orange?

The marshall. I'm wondering how it performs at proper band volume, and if it'll get into 80's metal territory as well as plexi style rock.

The marshall. I'm wondering how it performs at proper band volume, and if it'll get into 80's metal territory as well as plexi style rock.
    I don’t think you can get many 80s metal tones, it seems to be more in the vintage 60s Marshall realm. I found being able to crank the Origin higher that the cleans get very bright, which makes my Jaguar incredibly bright. The TH30 cleans just sit better and takes light overdrive really well.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    edited December 2018
    If you boost it with an SD1/TS9/treble booster with the amp cranked you'll get 80s metal tones imo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2218
    edited December 2018
    TTBZ said:
    If you boost it with an SD1/TS9/treble booster with the amp cranked you'll get 80s metal tones imo.
    Sounds about right, wisdom awarded.

Don’t get me wrong, the Origin amps are great, I just found at higher volumes (even with the tilt and treble dialled Down), which I wasn’t able to test in PMT, that it became really bright-sounding with the Jag. The TH30 cleans were much more balanced-sounding for my guitar.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4165
    which I wasn’t able to test in PMT
    Sounds like my experience with the Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister - the shop I bought in were very gracious and let (encouraged!) me to crank it.  Even so, when I got it properly turned up in my band I just couldn't make it work.

Until such time as shops are insane enough to let us bring our bands along (Christ, could you imagine?) I think we just have to chalk these ones up to experience.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    Christ -they are knocking these out cheaply now. I paid nearly 400 for my second hand head (admittedly minty new and clean)...

I use Marshall Guvnors - I & II through mine and it gets very hairy/metally

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• Who was selling for £364?? Can’t see anything that cheap online? 
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Fairdealmusic were selling then cheap but the prices have gone back up. I was tempted to get the 20 Head as they were £299!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom