The Mighty Marshall 4010

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
edited November 2018 in Amps
OK I am sittin' comfy, tell me all about it. You had/got one? 4010/2204

How'd you use it.....Lo or Hi input... with or without pedals ......GO!
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’ve posted this a number of times before, but here’s mine. 

For a couple of years I was using the low input with the  gain on full and the master half way.  This produced a good clean base sound that was easy to use pedals with.  I found the downside of this is that if you use this clean without pedals it can sound a little flat.

Ive swapped over now and use the high input but with the gain and master down at 3. This gives roughly the same volume as before but the clean tone has a bit more hair and depth to it.  I think it sounds better but has made it harder to dial in my pedals, especially the dirt.

it works well for me and I see no great reason to go chasing anything ‘better’.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    Thanks FF

What ODs were you using in the low i/put?
    tae be or not tae be
  • I had one , it was great but Tbh I preferred the 2203 head and cab I had.
    I used the high input with everything on half with a ts9 in front . Sounded great but the open back wasn’t as defined as the head and cab .
    that said I’d be tempted to get another if I saw one !!
  • i've had one for a few years now, it's simple, easy to move, loud as balls and sounds great.

Low input preamp on full for a nice clean pedal platform, i used it like this in a function band

HIgh input preamp on about 6 for that 800 Marshall sound, then add TS for the push into 80s metal or even heavier stuff.

I have a Metro FX loop in mine so i can boost the volume after the preamp for solos, or to bring a volume knob rolled off clean sound louder.

Ace amps, classic for a reason.

• Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3019
    edited December 2018
    hootsmon said:
    Thanks FF

What ODs were you using in the low i/put?
    My main drive pedals I use are a Cochrane Tim, Hudson Broadcast (2 switch) and a Zoom Ultrafuzz.  All sound great

I've tried swapping in various others with varying degree of sucesss. The Boss blues driver, BMF purple nurple, original Guv'nor all sounded good.  I wasn't quite so successful with a Boss ds1 and sd1 but I should have played with them a bit more really.

thanks Guys  :)
    tae be or not tae be
    The mids knob.....i am confused with this one.

When it's off the amp darkens and with some mids engaged it brightens a little, not the traditional chewy mids i have been used to on boogies and twins for instance....it doesn't sound very middy this knob!

This is pre amp full c/w HBs into the low input
    tae be or not tae be
    bump for mids question
    tae be or not tae be
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Back the bass off...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    The mid frequency is higher on 'British' voiced amps than it is on 'American' voiced ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thing is, with any twin i have used i could easily hear the mids come in when adjusting the knob but on this 4010 the mids sound like trebles ....nearly
    tae be or not tae be
    hootsmon said:
    Thing is, with any twin i have used i could easily hear the mids come in when adjusting the knob but on this 4010 the mids sound like trebles ....nearly
    Have a look at the two graphs here -

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/23003-the-recording-guitarist-is-it-a-sin-to-scoop-your-mids?page=2

You should be able to see that the Fender midrange control is drastically more effective and operates at a centre frequency of about 500Hz, whereas the Marshall is much less effective and operates at a centre of about 800Hz.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

You saying John that the USA twins have more of a low mids thing going on compared to Marshalls?
    tae be or not tae be
    but isn't the USA amp more associated with hollow mids and the UK type amp more associated with woody mids?
    tae be or not tae be
    That's exactly the point. The Twin has very scooped mids in the 500Hz region, so as you turn the control up you hear the mid come in strongly. The Marshall has a much less effective control that's centred higher so it doesn't scoop the mids as much in the first place.

oh....OK thanks John  :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • I had one, great little amp. 
    I used the low input on full gain with a Blackstar Dual valve drive/preamp pedal. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.