Where Can I Get My Vintage Martin (1840) Restored? - now restored

What's Hot
ChiliwailerChiliwailer Frets: 107
edited March 2023 in Acoustics
Hi all,

I have a Martin Parlour guitar from around 1870 (edit - is actually 1840-42 and the restoration was finished Msrch ‘23). Both the guitar and original case need some restoration work, to repair cracks and reset the neck. The plan is to get it costed up once one of my basses sellls. I’ve had this guitar for 11 years and it’s time to give it some extra love. 

It’s previously been tinkered with to set it up with steel strings, tut tut.... I currently have it strung with nylons, which are tuned a half step down to help ease some tension, and it’s absolutely gorgeous. I’d like to stick with nylon strings, and get them back to concert pitch. And in giving it the respect it deserves,  I’d like to chance taking off the full size replacement bridge, and if there’s nothing nasty underneath have an original smaller pyramid style bridge made. 

Does anyone know any vintage instrument restoration experts around London to do this work?

Cheers.

Daniel 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KDSKDS Frets: 220
    Dave king is probably your best bet. Or maybe brook
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KDS said:
    Dave king is probably your best bet. Or maybe brook

Excellent, I wasn’t aware of Dave. I noticed he mentioned Celine on his website too as an alternative repairer, she was the only one I had in mind so it’s good to now at least have two solid recommendations. 
    Cheers :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers @KDS , I’ve emailed Dave. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    Dave King for sure
  • Been emailing with Mr King this morning, he can fit it in around March. 
    Looking good :)

Thanks Gents, much appreciated. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2018
    Awesome stuff. Looked at the pic...lovely but yes definitely get that bridge changed if you can! What’s the situation with the bridge plate?
  • Lewy said:
    Awesome stuff. Looked at the pic...lovely but yes definitely get that bridge changed if you can! What’s the situation with the bridge plate?
    Wish I knew about the bridge plate situation... fingers crossed it ain’t there! 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    edited December 2018
    Dont let Kurt Russel do it! 

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ChiliwailerChiliwailer Frets: 107
    edited December 2018
    Lol! I read about that and nearly emailed Martin to ask for the tuners and bridge!  
    edited December 2018
    Lol! I read about that and nearly emailed Martin to ask for the tuners and bridge! That’s genuine freak out from her when he smashed it  

Lewy said:
    Wish I knew about the bridge plate situation... fingers crossed it ain’t there! 
    Yeah just wondering if whoever did the bridge conversion did something under there. I’d have to look!
  • Unfortunately don’t have a mirror, and it’s a really tight hole. I think someone looked once but couldn’t tell.....? 

Yup, the curiosity is building now that I’m in motion to sort it out! 
  • Hi all,

I have a Martin Parlour guitar from around 1870. Both the guitar and original case need some restoration work, to repair cracks and reset the neck. The plan is to get it costed up once one of my basses sellls. I’ve had this guitar for 11 years and it’s time to give it some extra love. 

It’s previously been tinkered with to set it up with steel strings, tut tut.... I currently have it strung with nylons, which are tuned a half step down to help ease some tension, and it’s absolutely gorgeous. I’d like to stick with nylon strings, and get them back to concert pitch. And in giving it the respect it deserves,  I’d like to chance taking off the full size replacement bridge, and if there’s nothing nasty underneath have an original smaller pyramid style bridge made. 

Does anyone know any vintage instrument restoration experts around London to do this work?

You can see a photo of the guitar here if you’re interested - https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/333892-vintage-instruments-restorers-do-you-know-of-any/

Cheers.

Daniel 

FWIW, I'd post up a link for the guitar in the UMGF (The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum) as some of the guys there are absolute wizards when it comes to providing to the original specs and features of the guitar which include the bridge and even if if the guitar might need bar frets (if you are willing to do down that route)
  • Hi all,

I have a Martin Parlour guitar from around 1870. Both the guitar and original case need some restoration work, to repair cracks and reset the neck. The plan is to get it costed up once one of my basses sellls. I’ve had this guitar for 11 years and it’s time to give it some extra love. 

You can see a photo of the guitar here if you’re interested - https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/333892-vintage-instruments-restorers-do-you-know-of-any/

Cheers.

Daniel 

FWIW, I'd post up a link for the guitar in the UMGF (The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum) as some of the guys there are absolute wizards when it comes to providing to the original specs and features of the guitar which include the bridge and even if if the guitar might need bar frets (if you are willing to do down that route)
    Cheers for the UMGF link, I’ll get onto that soon.

I hadn’t heard about the bar frets, I checked them out and it looks like I still have them in there :) 

I was lucky enough to play a mint condition 1886 version a few years back, and compare them. It seems as though a period correct bridge and new tuners will do me good. The 1886 was dated as it still had the pencil dates on the Martin sticker inside the case, mine is dated to around 1870 by the soundhole decal. I’ll look forward to seeing what else the UMGF guys come up with.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    What a beautiful guitar.
    would the original bridge be pyramid?
     I recently saw an original early Martin bridge on USA eBay. Not cheap but maybe worth a look. 
    edited December 2018
    Andy79 said:
    What a beautiful guitar.
    would the original bridge be pyramid?
     I recently saw an original early Martin bridge on USA eBay. Not cheap but maybe worth a look. 
    Yes mate, would have been a pyramid bridge. 
    Cheers for the heads up, I’ll keep an eye out for a reasonably price one, though I doubt that’ll exist, so I reckon I’ll go for a handmade pyramid bridge. As long as it’s visually looking right then I’ll be happy. Doubt this guitar will ever attract the big bucks as it’s been through so many changes. 
    But to me, it’s priceless. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • get a pyramid handmade. Its not a big deal on such a guitar. Hope you can get the potential issues under the bridge sorted.. I have a 1904 Martin that I picked up in Nashville many years ago. Always strung with silk/steel strings, it still sounds great. Only issue is a wee crack in the ebony fretrboard near the last 3 frets, and that probably happened a long long time ago. All the  best.
  • artiebear said:
    get a pyramid handmade. Its not a big deal on such a guitar. Hope you can get the potential issues under the bridge sorted.. I have a 1904 Martin that I picked up in Nashville many years ago. Always strung with silk/steel strings, it still sounds great. Only issue is a wee crack in the ebony fretrboard near the last 3 frets, and that probably happened a long long time ago. All the  best.
    Sounds like a great guitar, they are special. Mine has the same crack too at the end of the fretboard, though I’m fairly sure it’s either new or has got worse so it’s helped me spring into action. I’ve had it about 11 years, and can’t remember it being so prominent. 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Fantastic.  Love that case. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    If you can't source a Martin one, I have a roughly period correct pyramid bridge that was removed from my Lyon & Healy / Washburn parlour guitar. It's cracked but could be repaired invisibly, I'd have thought. No idea if it would fit, but do PM me if it might be useful.