Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I don't get the humour of the young'uns of today

What's Hot

Comments

• prowla said:
    I don't know what a meme is!
    It won't matter when the E.U bans them  :#
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • All I ever see are these memes and stuff on my fb feed. Some of it is funny but most of it just gets irritating now as there's so much of it.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    prowla said:

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • i don't know how to pronounce Rémy
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    i don't know how to pronounce Rémy

But that's not how to pronounce meme.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Veganic thanks :) is "meme" pronounced "meem" or "meemie" or something else?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    @Veganic thanks :) is "meme" pronounced "meem" or "meemie" or something else?
    My understanding is it was invented by Dawkins as a cultural gene so it sorta rhymes with gene.  Gene/ meme/ gene etc.
    Maybe the kids have ironically mispronounced it though. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4167
    edited December 2018
    We don’t get stuff written for a frame of reference of a completely different generation. My mother never understood Vic Reeves Big Night Out. Some young folk think Sheeran’s a rock god, but then some people of my generation thought Bono was. Some people aren’t into rock. 

Comparing the writing of internet memes to that of TV comedy (Yes, Minister, Porridge) is disingenuous. There is still TV comedy written by and for young people today. We just don’t watch it. It’s probably good. Even if we did watch it, it’d no doubt be “not as good as Only Fools and Horses” for some unfathomable reason. Even when we had all this stuff, we still laughed at crap cartoons in rock magazines. 

I work alongside young people who are doing science that would have been beyond the realms of belief when I was their age. Meanwhile I sit around pissing and moaning that Little Mix aren’t a patch on Motörhead. 

The world keeps turning and we get older
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited December 2018
    @Veganic thanks is "meme" pronounced "meem" or "meemie" or something else?
    It’s like memo, except it rhymes with Reims. 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    @Veganic thanks :) is "meme" pronounced "meem" or "meemie" or something else?
    I always thought it was “meem” but then I’m 42 and scared by Radio 1 so you might want to take that with a pinch of salt. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    dis tread iz amazing. I meen lk, WTF? wd all.

LOLcanos!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Am young'un. Is meme as in meem. Most of those ones are shite though and I don't get some of them xD And a lot of modern comedy isn't as good as Only Fools and Horses ;) though I was bought up on a solid diet of Blackadder, Father Ted, Red Dwarf, The Young Ones etc. So I'm probably not representative either...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28034
    Gassage said:

LOLcanos!
    Ooh. I like that. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • so meme rhymes with Lemmy? That's easy to get the hang of, except that it ought to have 2 ms in the middle
  • Sporky said:
    Gassage said:

LOLcanos!
    Ooh. I like that. 

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Hattigol said:
    It's not you, it's them.
    They're humourless imbeciles.
    Nonsense! My 13 yr old recently watched a Fawlty Towers episode. He was pissing himself laughing.
    edited December 2018
    And a lot of modern comedy isn't as good as Only Fools and Horses
    @themeinside ;;; A lot of old comedy wasn’t either - mixed in as it was with Two Point Four Children and other such televisual faeces. You’ve named four of my favourite comedies but, believe me, there was some absolute dreck to sift through in order to find them.

I think the divergence of TV, with hundreds of channels, streaming services, YouTube et al. has led to some absolutely superb drama from the UK, the US, Scandinavia, all over really. We’re spoiled. Comedy though does seem to have taken a back seat lately. 

50% of those you mention were basically Ben Elton who made his name during the Thatcher years as a shouty politico railing against what he saw as bad times. It’s surprised me we haven’t seen a resurgence of the like.

I think the point I was clumsily trying to make is that our favourites are personal, and the emotions to go with them are very much going to cloud any view of new things. I’m as bad as anyone. 

99% sure you’ll have seen these, but have you watched Bottom, League of Gentlemen, Men Behaving Badly (was good for a few series), the Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin was a bit before my time but still loved it, the Mary Whitehouse Experience, the Fast Show, Smack the Pony, I’m Alan Partridge, any early Vic Reeves/Bob Mortimer stuff?

I’ve no idea how old you are so I just started resorting to listing the stuff I used to like
  • you've done well to end up with a 13yo who has sufficient attention span for a Fawlty Towers episode.
    you've done well to end up with a 13yo who has sufficient attention span for a Fawlty Towers episode.
    Give it a rest! Even the users of the Fretboard were young once ;)

When I was 13, anything that didn’t interest me held my attention for about the same time as it would have done a gnat’s. Much the same as any generation’s 13 year olds, I would be prepared to bet. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    viz said:
    prowla said:
    It’s an element of a culture or system of behaviour passed from one individual to another by imitation or other non-genetic means. It’s pronounced to rhyme with Rémy. 
    That's great - now what the heck does that mean?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom