Any fans of Southern Empire (Prog band)?

axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
I find that I wait for years for the next band to come along that really pushes all the buttons for me. After a barren period I have finally found a band that really does it for me - Southern Empire. A pretty heavy sounding prog band who aren't ashamed to go for long songs (both their albums have a 28 minute track!). 

Not everyone's cup of tea but this really is my sort of thing - pretty heavy, long tracks, singer with a great voice, fleet fingered guitar solos, harmony vocals. 

This is the track that got me into the band:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Man, I'm torn on this,  some is great and some just grates.

For me the vocal mix is just too shrill and swamps the track, the lyric is cringeworthy but the music, arrangements and playing is excellent. The video is just awful, it's like a David Brent spoof. Old man with mohican and black eyes is not a good look.
    I will have to check them out though :)

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
    equalsql said:
    Man, I'm torn on this,  some is great and some just grates.

For me the vocal mix is just too shrill and swamps the track, the lyric is cringeworthy but the music, arrangements and playing is excellent. The video is just awful, it's like a David Brent spoof. Old man with mohican and black eyes is not a good look.
    I will have to check them out though :)

I almost posted a non-video version! Seriously the album is fabulous. I actually love the mental lyrics on that one.