...but baby it's cold outside !

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
A radio station in Cleveland has pulled 'But Baby it's cold outside' from its playlists, citing the #MeToo movement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46413209

I've never really liked where the lyrics go in that song - let's face it, it's all about a randy bloke trying to get his date into the sack - even if that means spiking her drink !  For me, it's got that same kind of 'rapey' vibe that 'Blurred lines' has.

What do you think about it ?
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This is based on a misreading of what the song is about. To modern ears it can be interpreted as "rapey", but it's quite the opposite. At the time it was written folks would have gotten the gist - it's about a women who has gone to her lover's place and wants to stay the night - despite the social "niceties" of the time.

Have a read of this:

http://persephonemagazine.com/2010/12/listening-while-feminist-in-defense-of-baby-its-cold-outside/ ;

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Lawyers will make money from this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited December 2018
    This is based on a misreading of what the song is about. To modern ears it can be interpreted as "rapey", but it's quite the opposite. At the time it was written folks would have gotten the gist - it's about a women who has gone to her lover's place and wants to stay the night - despite the social "niceties" of the time.

Have a read of this:

http://persephonemagazine.com/2010/12/listening-while-feminist-in-defense-of-baby-its-cold-outside/ ;

Thank god some people have sense, that's always what the song was about, a bit flirty and cheeky.

Fuck I wish people would stop being outraged for the sake of it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    This is based on a misreading of what the song is about. To modern ears it can be interpreted as "rapey", but it's quite the opposite. At the time it was written folks would have gotten the gist - it's about a women who has gone to her lover's place and wants to stay the night - despite the social "niceties" of the time.

Have a read of this:

Exactly this.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Agreed @underdog ;

This however is pretty fucking outrageous:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-46411533
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphoto said:
    Agreed @underdog ;

This however is pretty fucking outrageous:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-46411533
    Got that right. Scumbags.
  • I have heard the song for years and have never considered it anything other than a romantic song.  Ive read the lyrics following seeing this article and think you would have to stretch it some to see a "rapey" side to it.  There are other more blatant songs, but perhaps they are already banned.

The scalpels in the playground is pretty sick and feels to me to be the work of someone who has gone to great lengths to set this up.  Utterly shocking.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lawyers will make money from this.
    lawyers can make money from most things
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • This is based on a misreading of what the song is about. To modern ears it can be interpreted as "rapey", but it's quite the opposite. At the time it was written folks would have gotten the gist - it's about a women who has gone to her lover's place and wants to stay the night - despite the social "niceties" of the time.

Have a read of this:

I flicked through that and it seemed about right [and bit of an insult comparing a song that well written to Blurred Lines ].

Quite a lot of songs that wouldn’t be thought of as PC now; I think we mentioned Melting Pot by Blue Mink on here the other day. A song that was clearly intended to be anti racist but ends up being seen as racist now because of the language that it uses. We could fill a lot of space listing popular songs that reference schoolgirl sexuality. But,I think Baby is still fine. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickersticker Frets: 869

I think those that are deviants or looking to be offended will find it "rapey" . ;)

Anyone with half a clue will see that its a well written song that is undoubtedly "of it's time"  and not comparable to that shite "Blurred Lines" in any way .

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    underdog said:

Have a read of this:

Thank god some people have sense, that's always what the song was about, a bit flirty and cheeky.

Interesting article.  It may have been perfectly fine with the listeners of the day, interpreting the lyrics in line with the social norms of the time.  But, as Grumpyrocker says, "To modern ears it can be interpreted as "rapey"" and we aren't listening to it in the era it was written are we ?  We are listening to it 'with modern ears'.  Therefore - it can be interpreted as 'rapey'.

The overwhelming majority of people who hear the song aren't going to do any research to discover what the lyrics really meant are they ?  They're going to interpret them from a modern social and moral viewpoint.

I'm quite sure there are a ton of songs from the past that would never get airplay today for exactly the same reason.  I'm sure 'negro' wasn't remotely as offensive 100 years ago as it is today but any song with that in it would never get played today - and you can bet your ass that nobody would be challenging that decision!
    I'm not sure how it can be "rapey" to be honest. It's a really flirty song, where the female part is quite obviously being flirty and playing innocent when she wants the man's next line to give an excuse for her last line. 

This is like the whole Beckham kissing his kid on the lips outrage, it only seems a bit wrong if there's something wrong with the person seeing it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    If you play it backwards it's actually an invocation to Satan.
    People with dirty minds will find filth everywhere.
    People looking to be offended will take offence at everything.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2958
    No spiking of the drink in the lyrics, he's just trying to get her a little more merry!

But maybe just a half a drink more (put some records on while I pour)

The way it's going, any bloke who buys a girl a drink in the pub will be seen as a potential rapist!

The world is going bonkers. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    "Hey what's in this drink?"
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:

Again, it's not the mouth it comes out of its the mind it goes in to etc

I'm starting to think you've never flirted with a woman before 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    Lawyers will make money from this.
    *pricks up ears*

...ugh.  Saw a film like that on a stag weekend in Tallinn...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    edited December 2018
    Emp_Fab said:

alcohol , liquer, booze , the kind of which was prohibited in the USA until 1933 , just over a decade before the song was written and only available to over 21's in the states .

If you seriously think that Frank Loesser was referring to "roofies" when he wrote this in 1944 then you have issues and should seek help.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    sticker said:
    Emp_Fab said:

alcohol , liquer, booze , the kind of which was prohibited in the USA until 1933 , just over a decade before the song was written and not only available to over 21's in the states .

If you seriously think that Frank Loesser was referring to "roofies" when he wrote this in 1944 then you have issues and should seek help.

True, but before rohypnol came along I used to slip 'em a Mickey Finn.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdog said:

Have a read of this:

Anyone 30 and under seems to be the culprits  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom