Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Reading rock festival 1977 - price seems amazing now!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    axisus said:
    @boogieman Wow, insane prices! I got into gigs in the 80s, and I thought that was cheap. Saw bands for £1.50 - £3.
    Actually I got into lots more for nowt. A schoolmate's dad was the social secretary for Wasps rugby club when they were based in Wembley. He’d get regular calls from Wembley Arena and Stadium asking for security, expecting to get rugby players I’d imagine, rather than a bunch of skinny teenagers. We’d go along, get given an armband, show people to their seats then disappear off to the bogs to dispose of the armband and then sit and watch the gig. They sussed what was happening after a while and gave us t-shirts instead. Still got to see the gig of course but we had to work for it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I went in 1968 - £1.25 a day, or £2.25 for the weekend.

That would have been £1.5/- and £2.5/-

In 1968 there were 20 shillings of 12d each to the £
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited December 2018
    This was my 1st big one, 1969 - the day before my 15th birthday.
    I don't need to tell you how exciting it was.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I went in 1968 - £1.25 a day, or £2.25 for the weekend.

That would have been £1.5/- and £2.5/-

In 1968 there were 20 shillings of 12d each to the £
    Correct. I just thought I'd convert the cash value for those who'd only known decimalised currency.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    jdgm said:

Wow, that’s an epic lineup. How did they fit all that lot into 11 hours though? More than one stage? 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited December 2018
    And 90s/00s boy band Blue
    Err,   there was a Scottish band called Blue in the 70's, I have their album in my collection.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_(Scottish_band)
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    boogieman said:
    jdgm said:

Wow, that’s an epic lineup. How did they fit all that lot into 11 hours though? More than one stage? 
    Yes that is exactly what they did - 2 stages next to each other. I wish more festivals were organised like that as it ran very smoothly as I recall.

• jdgm said:
    boogieman said:
    jdgm said:

Yes that is exactly what they did - 2 stages next to each other. I wish more festivals were organised like that as it ran very smoothly as I recall.

the festivals they have in Moseley ( the folk one and the mostly jazz one) run like that with very short gaps between the bands. There's a main stage and a smaller one so when you get a  gap between the two best known bands on the day its filled with half an hour of the best lesser known act.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I'm a bit younger than some of you but am still amazed the prices for gigs these days. I do understand why though - record sales don't offer the income they once did. 

My first gig was All About Eve at the Manchester Apollo. I paid £12.50 I think for that ticket. A couple of years later I saw Metallica and later Iron Maiden at the G-Mex for £23 each. 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    David Bowie Earls Court May 1973 - £1.25
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogieman said:
    jdgm said:

Even more impressive is they managed to sell all the tickets. Remember this is before the internet, so all they would do is put these posters up on a few trees and people would come from miles around.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    jdgm said:

Even more impressive is they managed to sell all the tickets. Remember this is before the internet, so all they would do is put these posters up on a few trees and people would come from miles around.
    It would’ve been in the music papers like Melody Maker as well, that’s how I found most of the gigs I went to back then. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    We saw Hawkwind in 1971 at the local cellar club for a shilling each (5p). That included burger and chips as well because the club had a 'supper licence' that allowed alcohol to be sold if patrons were dining.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom