Any Behringer XR18 users here ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    Have you had any problems with that app @kennedydream1980 ?  It's just that it gets a lot of criticism on the review page for being unable to see the mixer etc (though that could be WiFi related).
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1143
    edited December 2018
    Emp_Fab said:
    Have you had any problems with that app @kennedydream1980 ?  It's just that it gets a lot of criticism on the review page for being unable to see the mixer etc (though that could be WiFi related).
    I honestly think that is user error. I’ve had no problems using it. We made sure we used a dual band router (5G connection) which is on a channel with the least amount of traffic. Our connection is solid therefore the app works perfectly.
    What about ringing out the mains ?  Until now, we've just relied on a Behringer Feedback Destroyer box and I'm not sure whether to include it in our new setup or not.  If so, where can I put it so that it affects only the mics ?  On our analogue mixer I've subgrouped the mics into two groups (lead and backing vox) and use the subgroup outs to feed the feedback destroyer.

How can I do that with the XR18 if I don't have any subgroup outs ?

Do I even need to do it with the XR18 ?  - Which leads me to my next question - how do I get up the RTA & Graphic EQ screen so I can ring out the mains ?
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    When you select which output you are working on, click the tab for the eq and the graphic eq should appear - that’s probably the easiest to use but you can choose a parametric if you’re comfortable with that.     On the main eq display there should be a button to toggle the rta on and off.  
    Then it’s business as usual - push up you’re mics while watching the rta until you see the feedback spike, notch that frequency and try again - until you have the obvious feedback points for that output.  

You could do the same for each mic with a notch on its eq as well.  
    Once you’re up to speed and know what you’re looking for it takes seconds and if you’re using the same mics and speakers each gig the frequencies are probably similar for each gig so you just need to check and tweak each gig.   
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I have an XR16 - What I'm struggling with is the aux sends, it seems that I get reverb to the AUx outs when I just send the vocal, I also cant figure out how to send the signal pre-eq (using iPad app)  On top of this I tried to do a multiple monitor mix and the same thing seems to come out of Aux 1-4.

Any pointers would be welcomed
    John_A said:
    I have an XR16 - What I'm struggling with is the aux sends, it seems that I get reverb to the AUx outs when I just send the vocal, I also cant figure out how to send the signal pre-eq (using iPad app)  On top of this I tried to do a multiple monitor mix and the same thing seems to come out of Aux 1-4.

You will have a tab for each aux mix and a tab to select each effects mix - turn up each channel to set the level of effect.   
    The overall mix of each effect is added to the master mix or each aux mix using the effect return faders - usually on the right hand side of the faders.     
    Well, we used it in practice for the first time Wed.  We have a ticketed Christmas party gig tomorrow.  It sounded great - very pleased.  However - all of the apps kept losing contact with the mixer.  That's WiFi - and that's my bag so I've got to investigate that sharpish.  I established that everyone has 5GHz capable kit, so I set the router to 5GHz only.  I need to look into channel selection and width.  I'll do a quick WiFi survey on Saturday to check what other RF is at the venue and then pick the best channel(s).  I hope the router I've bought (ebay, used) isn't on the fritz.
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Well, we used it in practice for the first time Wed.  We have a ticketed Christmas party gig tomorrow.  It sounded great - very pleased.  However - all of the apps kept losing contact with the mixer.  That's WiFi - and that's my bag so I've got to investigate that sharpish.  I established that everyone has 5GHz capable kit, so I set the router to 5GHz only.  I need to look into channel selection and width.  I'll do a quick WiFi survey on Saturday to check what other RF is at the venue and then pick the best channel(s).  I hope the router I've bought (ebay, used) isn't on the fritz.
    We had the same problem on our first gig pre sound check. I tracked it down to the singers digital sennheiser wireless mic which was interfering with the router. Once I changed the router channel I’ve had no further connection problems. 
    You running on 2.4 or 5GHz ?  ...and if 5GHz, what channel did you pick ?  (if you can recall, that is !)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    John_P said:
    John_A said:

You will have a tab for each aux mix and a tab to select each effects mix - turn up each channel to set the level of effect.   
    The overall mix of each effect is added to the master mix or each aux mix using the effect return faders - usually on the right hand side of the faders.     
    Cheers, I’ll have a tinker
  • Emp_Fab said:
    You running on 2.4 or 5GHz ?  ...and if 5GHz, what channel did you pick ?  (if you can recall, that is !)
    I'm running on 5GHz, I can't remember the channel, I'll check at my gig tomorrow night.
    @kennedydream1980 I'm using ours at its first gig tonight...  It's going to be stressful for me I think.  Can I ask what effects you have on the mains please ?  (and a copy of your .scn scene file ! LOL).

• Emp_Fab said:
    @kennedydream1980 I'm using ours at its first gig tonight...  It's going to be stressful for me I think.  Can I ask what effects you have on the mains please ?  (and a copy of your .scn scene file ! LOL).

I may have my Start up template let me see and get back to you
  • josephdoucejosephdouce Frets: 1
    edited December 2018
    Emp_Fab said:
    Thanks a lot for the help guys.  I'll get my laptop ready with a DAW app to do the virtual soundcheck thing too :-)

Waves Tracks Live is without a doubt the fastest and easiest way to do this its not a DAW just a multi track recorder/playback. Hit record, select 18 in/out and then change the XR18 to USB inputs and hit play.

Absolutely NO setup requited, plug in it and it automatically recognizes and adds the 18 tracks.

Oh and its FREE
    Cool... thanks for that @josephdouce, I was going to start messing about with the bundled version of Tracktion.
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Cool... thanks for that @josephdouce, I was going to start messing about with the bundled version of Tracktion.
    You're welcome.  
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6636
    Has anyone found a good source of scene and channel presets for the XR18? Im interested in Eq and compression presets to try out on drums and vocals to quickly learn what works and doesnt. Also interested in channel presets so I can start learning how to set up channels for guitar, drums and vocals inputs.
    Cheers.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    I'd suggest you're better in the long term spending some time watching tutorials on how to eq or use compression with different instruments so you have the skills to apply to your own situation.
    There are some standard starting points I regularly use but I can't see how someone can set eq or compression without hearing the source material.   
  • There were some presets/fx settings collated on the old Behringer Forums from users when the mixer was first released. If you signed up to the forum you could request the link to the files on Dropbox. I’ve got them somewhere, I’ll see if I can dig them out for you.