Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Hair dye for work in IT industry?

What's Hot
My mate (early 50s) works in IT in the US, and dyes his hair because the average age  at work is 28, and he doesn't want to make it so obvious how old he is with whatever grey he has.

Is this common in the software industry? It hasn't been where I've worked, but I'd like to know
5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My mate (early 50s) works in IT in the US, and dyes his hair because the average age  at work is 28, and he doesn't want to make it so obvious how old he is with whatever grey he has.

Is this common in the software industry? It hasn't been where I've worked, but I'd like to know
    Literally never heard of that. Then again, I've got plenty of grey, so maybe people are just being polite...?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    Old blokes who dye their hair look odd.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Blue-rinse?

I think it says more about him than his industry. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Nope, I don't think so. I understand the "young mans game" feeling in IT, but I don't think it is any worse for that than anything else to be honest. 
  • I'm well aware of a lot of age-ism in the software business, wouldn't be at all surprised to find it in the IT business as well.

There are however a few outfits that respect age and experience, and they actually want old farts like me that can bring a cpu out of reset, write interrupt routines in assembler, code efficiently in C without relying on an optimiser, trace faults using a bus analyser, AND design software for maintainability ans extendability.  I work for one one. Whereas there seem to be lots of graduates looking for jobs and if the job isn't Java not only do they not want to know they can't damn well do it!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • He sounds like a vain dickhead.  Nothing to do with the industry he works in and more to do with his own self worth.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowla said:
    Rubbish! Jeff Beck, Paul McCartney and Ritchie Blackmore look marvellous....
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd be fucking grateful just to have Grey Hair :)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd be fucking grateful just to have Grey Hair :)
    I know what you mean. Hair of any colour would be OK
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • randellarandella Frets: 4165
    edited December 2018
    It’s the same as any other industry really, certain roles tend to favour younger folk. It’s a broad church, there are a *lot* of different skill sets and age and experience do count in a lot of them. 

A lot of it does depend on the company culture too, software startups in particular tend to favour the young hotshots. I’ve worked as a coder for a mix of places and have never felt compelled to dye (what’s left of) my hair. 
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    prowla said:
    He said men who dye their hair, not men who wear wigs....
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    prowla said:

He said their hair, I'm not sure the hair on at least 2 of their heads originally belonged to them 
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited December 2018
    underdog said:
    prowla said:

He said their hair, I'm not sure the hair on at least 2 of their heads originally belonged to them 
    Ha, beat you to it.... let's just admire that syrup...

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    More a problem within the US I'd think. They are obsessed with youth and appearance even when they are pensioners.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Tell him to shave his head and grow a beard like all his colleagues do.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6263

lol, yeah there is something odd and very obvious about dyed hair. It always looks dyed, no matter what. Could be cos its too evenly coloured. At least Macca is realising that, and steadily letting the grey come through.

Cliff Richard - now he looks great doesn't he?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I can say one thing for sure, I will never be dying my hair. As mentioned already, 'young' hair on an old man's head looks ridiculous. We have had a few of them at work, it really isn't a good look. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    prowla said:
    AFAIK almost all the women I know of that age dye their hair, do they all look odd?
    Veganic said:
    Blue-rinse?

I think it says more about him than his industry. 
    I doubt it, he's not a vain guy. It's a very high-profile role, doing lots of main speaker performances at conference etc. so I can understand his point
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    He sounds like a vain dickhead.  Nothing to do with the industry he works in and more to do with his own self worth.
    nah, known him 30+ years, he is not vain about his appearance