Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Hair dye for work in IT industry?

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Maybe something more natural might suit your friend and this seems to be a popular look among IT workers:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Here's a good look for the IT crowd:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11886
    Sassafras said:
    Tell him to shave his head and grow a beard like all his colleagues do.
    well there's another problem opening up.
    Another mate I know from when I was 20, who is (and always has been) a struggling musician has to dye his beard to attain the effect he wants

Certainly my beard went grey a long time before my hair
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    edited December 2018
    prowla said:
    Old blokes who dye their hair look odd.
    AFAIK almost all the women I know of that age dye their hair, do they all look odd?
    Women spend a few quid and get it done properly. Blokes get a cheap dye from Poundland.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    prowla said:
    AFAIK almost all the women I know of that age dye their hair, do they all look odd?
    Gender shouldn’t make any difference, but it seemingly does. I think women tend to experiment with hair colour more, and from an earlier age, than we chaps. And they carry on colouring it, so you’ve got a kind of continuity to the thing.. It seems to be more accepted.
    A bloke who suddenly starts dyeing his hair in middle age, sticks out like a sore thumb. It also looks more like he’s trying to hide the fact that he’s going grey.
    Its just the way it is, it seems. Maybe one day, people will see it differently..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It's the jaded, ravaged look that comes from a lifetime of debauchery that betrays age, not hair colour.
    I could dye my hair all the colours of the rainbow and I'd still look like a dirty old lecher.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28040
    edited December 2018
    Excellent thread title.

Lady BMcH suggests trying "Just Four-bit Men", which works better out loud.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had isolated grey hair on the sides of my head only , I looked like Paulie from the Sopranos and I hated it.

I used that GX shampoo stuff on the sides for a year or so until the rest of my hair caught up, now I'm nicely grey all over and I'm cool with that.

I can't see a problem with chaps dying their hair tbh.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    My mate (early 50s) works in IT in the US, and dyes his hair because the average age  at work is 28, and he doesn't want to make it so obvious how old he is with whatever grey he has.

Is this common in the software industry? It hasn't been where I've worked, but I'd like to know
    Key thing in the is he is in the US which is more obviously ageist than in there UK.
    That said, I've never noticed it, especially once you are off the bottom hiring rungs.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308

I think it says more about your mate’s perception than it does about anything else. I've worked in IT for 20 years and never noticed any discrimination based on grey hair.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22741
    usedtobe said:
    prowla said:
    Gender shouldn’t make any difference, but it seemingly does. I think women tend to experiment with hair colour more, and from an earlier age, than we chaps. And they carry on colouring it, so you’ve got a kind of continuity to the thing.. It seems to be more accepted.
    A bloke who suddenly starts dyeing his hair in middle age, sticks out like a sore thumb. It also looks more like he’s trying to hide the fact that he’s going grey.
    Its just the way it is, it seems. Maybe one day, people will see it differently..

Women also tend to dye their hair in progressively lighter colours as they get older.  You don't see many older women with bright red or dark brown/black hair, because it looks weird against ageing skin.

Whereas men tend to try to "restore" the colour they actually had when they were young, which looks unnatural past a certain age.

That said, I'm 54 and I don't have any grey hair yet, except in my beard.

• MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    I have gone bald specifically to gain the strategic advantage of never looking either younger or older than old.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    I find it positively helps being a "silver fox" coder*

* absolutely nothing at all to do with the fact that we never write documentation and the skiddies coming in from college positively crap themselves when they see something that isn't c#
    Nope, definitely isn't that.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    Doesn't seem to bother this guy:

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Sassafras said:

Does he work in IT?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4167
    Octafish said:
    Sassafras said:

Does he work in IT?
    With that tan, he’s probably a contract analyst. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited December 2018
    prowla said:

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Sassafras said:

Does he work in IT?
    He might once his acting jobs dry up because of his fading looks.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader
    he dyes his hair, so what? there is a pretty big industry selling hair dye for men, So I am sure he is not the only one.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11886
    CHRISB50 said:

I think it says more about your mate’s perception than it does about anything else. I've worked in IT for 20 years and never noticed any discrimination based on grey hair.

his role is in the top 0.5% of the IT industry over there, I have no data to go on. He has to do a lot of top level corporate PR as the face of the company.
    For all I know, grey hair has been banned in Silicon valley