Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Happy Holidays...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Happy non-denominational winter festival to all ladies, gentlemen and others. :) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    edited December 2018
    What about a Festivus, for the rest of us?
    You can have Ramadan, or Passover. Your choice!
    Passover is in Spring. We're talking Hannukah...

This sums it all up;

Holidays are arriving, 
    The genetically modified large bird-like creature is becoming circumnavigationally challenged,
    Please put the second smallest denomination of currency in the senior person's head-wear.
    If you haven't got the second smallest denomination of currency, then the smallest denomination of currency will do, 
    If you haven't got the smallest denomination of currency, then may the Sacred Deity sanctify one's non-gender specific being. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    What about a Festivus, for the rest of us?
    You can have Ramadan, or Passover. Your choice!
    Err No.........those are not festivals of Joy.They are festivals of Atonement and Purification for Muslims and a celebration of thankfulness for release from Slavery for Jews
    Jews have Hanukkah which started yesterday
    Muslims have Eid al -Fitr
    as the closest equivalents
    there is no Father Hannukah or Father Eid 
    Hannukah is made up anyway

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Where does it say Happy Holidays?  I only ever hear it in the context of people complaining about it, who ironically always seem to be offended
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    edited December 2018
    I like that April 1st is Atheist Day.

(Ok, well it is not, well not more than any other day).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    octatonic said:
    Where does this happen in Britain?
    Exclusively in tabloid headlines from my experience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Trying to be inclusive through being non-denominational seems like a generous acknowledgement of other people’s faiths and, dare I say it , quite a “Christian” thing to do. 

OTOH, getting pissed off because someone has wished you Happy Holiday and not happy Xmas seems quite curmudgeonly. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    It is Christmas. It is a celebration of the birth of Jesus. The pagan festival of Saturnalia occurs around this time. Saturnalia lost it’s value over time so the festival was rebranded Christmas. Not holidays. Not even Xmas. Christmas. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

King85 said:
    octatonic said:
    Where does this happen in Britain?
    Exclusively in right wing tabloid headlines from my experience.
    Fixed it for you. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    Hannukah is made up anyway

Correct, because clearly Eid and Easter and Diwali and Christmas and all the other fairy tales are based on truths. Clearly. See what Sir DA had to say about Creation...check out from around 1.25. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    roberty said:
    Where does it say Happy Holidays?  I only ever hear it in the context of people complaining about it, who ironically always seem to be offended

Somebody actually said it to me recently, I think its a thing with da kids. Noticed a bit of it on TV ads too recently.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
    It is a phrase that encompasses Christmas among other things, its not an attempt at being ''Pc'' nor is it an attempt at not ''offending'' people , its a phrase used for more than 100 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_and_holiday_season

You see what you want to see, sometimes doing some research can unveil the truth, if thats what you want to see, took me less than a minute.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    edited December 2018
    I've never understood why people get bent out of shape about it, nor do I hear people anywhere other than in the US say it.

Here in Singapore people just say Merry Christmas- they fucking love it and every shopping mall (or which there are about a billion of) is playing wall to wall Christmas tunes, tinsel, and fake snow ornaments everywhere.
    They also seem to conflate Christmas with Disney and Harry Potter, so there is loads of that about now as well.

We have public holidays for Chinese New Year, Diwali, Christmas, Good Friday, Vesak Day (birth of Buddha), Hari Raya Puasa (end of Ramadan).
    If you don't like the holiday, then don't celebrate it.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    How about this.......
    15 years ago took one of the kids to ChristmasWorld at the old WEMBLEY Empire Pool
    basically one of these Winter Wonderland things with some poor captive Reindeer , Ice rink , rides ,lots of Tinsel and the locally recruited attendant staff dressed as Elves etc
    Locally recruited staff means very varied ethnic backgrounds including Elves in Hijabs etc etc ......all very good natured but obviously the whole Fairytale of Xmas nonsense was not totally understood by most but they were all happily giving it their best. The jaunt ends with a huge queue of kids waiting to see Santa in a Grotto doing the one on one with kids and their Xmas lists.
     The young man dressed as chief elf at the head of the queue ,full of Christmas cheer directing the audience with Santa and lifting the cordon rope every time a new kid goes forward asking Parents ....
    " Does your kid wanna see da Grandfarva ?,OK ,wait here innit "
         Santa ? Da Grandfarva ?, Xmas ?, Happy Xmas ? Happy Holidays ?.............to each his own ,who really cares ?
    Bad Santa